[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deii

Re: [v0.3.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Deii »

YvonneG wrote:I have a question.

Would you maybe consider making a Zandronum-based port? You know: mostly for multiplayer (both co-op and deathmatch), and specially for those PCs without OpenGl 3+ (not my case, though).
If you're looking just for a Doom 4-style mod that works on Zandro and older computers, I suggest taking a look at Death Foretold.
Xaser

Re: [v0.4.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Yeah, it's gonna be a while until Zandronum will be able to play the mod (though gears are turning behind the scenes on that front). Eventually-ish, though.

At any rate, I've gone ahead and uploaded the next version. Decided to call it v0.4.0 since the ZScript rewrite isn't trivial. Get it from Mr. Archive and revel in the new SSG sprites! :P

As a note, there may be a few new bugs given this was a pretty significant change, and for the curious folk taking a look at the ZScript source, do note that there's a lot of stuff in there that's not 100% final (weapon mod ammo use, mod-fire state jumps, and that damned ArgCounter struct are all due for refactoring). But it's mostly sanitized, and most of the ACS stuff has been ported (the remainder is due for scriptification eventually), so it's a pretty big "start".

Lemme know what you all think!
RikohZX

Re: [v0.4.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by RikohZX »

It would seem you forgot to make the normal Rocket Launcher detract its ammo upon firing. I kept wondering why I kept getting 2 rockets out of nowhere in the first two maps of Doom 2, only to realize they were never depleting as I blew the Gantlet to bits. :lol:
Xaser

Re: [v0.4.1] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Welp. Now that's the derpiest bug I think I've ever accomplished. :P

Just uploaded v0.4.1 to hotfix it. Thank goodness for git; I was able to clone the repo and fix it on my not-home computer.
YvonneG

Post by YvonneG »

Deii wrote: If you're looking just for a Doom 4-style mod that works on Zandro and older computers, I suggest taking a look at Death Foretold.
Quite frankly, I've been randomly searching and testing different weapon mods. The thing is... not every mod caters to my tastes :P

I even gave a try to SgtmarkIV's Brutal Doom V20b with the optional Doom 4 Weapons addon. However, I'm not too much into the overly gory stuff, and I really dislike a truck-load of blood for no reason. Hence the reason I stopped playing Brutal Doom (I only play Brutal Doom 64. Mostly because, as far as I know, no one has bothered making mods for modern source ports). If Doom actually used 3D polygons for enemy sprites, I'm pretty sure the gore & blood would look amazing. But in a 20 year old game like Doom, it just look like a complete muddy, blurry mess.

I'm ok with absurdly overpowered guns (i.e: Russian Overkill), but I dislike, as I explaned above, over-the-top gore and blood, because it doesn't translate well into sprites, and I ABSOLUTELY DISLIKE reloading. I feel like it kills the intensity that is Doom. I stick for vanilla-style gameplay with fancy weapons & stuff (like Beautiful Doom), and this mod is one of my favorite ones, because it keeps the gameplay vanilla-style :D

Anyway... back on topic: I'm looking forward for the Zandronum port. I can't wait to play some co-op with it (and maybe some deathmatch :twisted: )
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

YvonneG wrote: Anyway... back on topic: I'm looking forward for the Zandronum port. I can't wait to play some co-op with it (and maybe some deathmatch :twisted: )
You can do both of those things on G/Q Zdoom.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Infirnex wrote:You can do both of those things on G/Q Zdoom.
Technically, you can. Just like technically you can race across the continental U.S. in a beat-up '93 Astro and maybe not break down (desync). :P
YvonneG wrote:I stick for vanilla-style gameplay with fancy weapons & stuff (like Beautiful Doom), and this mod is one of my favorite ones, because it keeps the gameplay vanilla-style :D
This is good to hear! "Keepin' It Simple" is what I'm shooting for, though it's difficult to judge the result myself since the real development process is secretly "Xaser makes a mod for Xaser," and who knows where the heck my tastes lie these days. :P
YvonneG

Post by YvonneG »

Infirnex wrote: You can do both of those things on G/Q Zdoom.
You can... if you are willing to put up with the horrid lag and constant desyncing LOL.

Long-story-short: Either GZDoom or QZDoom (both of which I actually use) lag like hell on multiplayer (especially on deathmatch). You are not really supposed to use GZDoom/QZDoom for multiplayer.
Xaser wrote: Technically, you can. Just like technically you can race across the continental U.S. in a beat-up '93 Astro and maybe not break down (desync). :P
Pretty much. This is the reason why Zandronum exists in the first place. Back then, it was called Skulltag.

Anyway, the mod is pretty good. Major kudos for it :D
Xaser

Re: [v0.4.2] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Welpo! Found yet another rocket launcher ammo bug, so I've uploaded Yet Another Hotfix Version™, v0.4.2. It's in the usual place.

As handy as it is to be able to git clone and fix a thing from my not-home machine, I need to make sure not to do that again from a machine I can't test from. Otherwise "YAHV" is going to become a very common acronym around these parts. :P

There's technically one other change (plasma Stun Bomb is fully zscriptified), but it shouldn't be noticeable to the player.
YvonneG

Post by YvonneG »

I think I found a bug.

Sometimes I can't fire the BFG, despite the fact that I have plenty of ammo. Whenever I try to fire the BFG, it inmediately switches to the Supershotgun.

Perhaps you wanna check it yourself, Xaser? :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well, not to me. BFG Still fires just fine in Gzdoom g2.3.2.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

YvonneG wrote:I think I found a bug.

Sometimes I can't fire the BFG, despite the fact that I have plenty of ammo. Whenever I try to fire the BFG, it inmediately switches to the Supershotgun.

Perhaps you wanna check it yourself, Xaser? :)
I agree.
It happened to me a few times.
At first I though it was my fault, I Edited some Drops of a Custom Monster Pack and made a Monster Drop the "BFG9000" instead of "ArgBFG9000"
Not sure if that is the issue here, but happened to me as well.
Machalite

Post by Machalite »

What's happening is the BFG stops functioning if at any point you load a game, regardless of whether you have ammo or not. The radioactive icon denoting its ammo type disappears when this happens, too. If you drop the weapon and give yourself another one, it'll work until you load again. Same result in both 2.3.2 and the latest revision. This wasn't a problem in previous versions of the mod to my knowledge. Hope that helps.
Xaser

Re: [v0.4.3] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Thanks for the report, and double-thanks to Machalite for the pinpoint; Just upped v0.4.3, which fixes the issue. Haven't noticed any other savegame-related issues following some testing, so hopefully that's ousted.

For the curious, the BFG dynamically changes its AmmoType/AmmoUse/etc. properties, and there were two issues with the implementation:
  • I wasn't setting the "Ammo1" on change (a weird "I did this wrong, but how did it work in the first place?" case)
  • The "AmmoType1" property doesn't seem to be persisted in savegames. I'll likely open a bugreport for this.
As a side-effect of the fix, the ammo type change will occur immediately upon the "BFG AmmoType" cvar changing; I originally had it only take effect on map start (since the ammo drops only change on new maps), but I couldn't retain this behavior while still fixing the issue, so out it went. This may change back in the future without warning, as a heads-up, but switching this cvar mid-game is hopefully not something players are doing a bunch. :P

Also, I've started pruning old patch versions of the v0.4.x series from the archive to save some disk space on my server. For those really wishing to snag one of these versions, check out the tags on GitHub -- just slap the contents of the "src" directory into a .pk3 file and compile the ACS if you don't wish to configure the development environment.
DoomKrakken

Re: [v0.4.3] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by DoomKrakken »

Now THIS I'd like to see... being able to change the ammotype mid-game using CVars... :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”