[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: [v0.5.3] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by eharper256 »

We probably have a whilst to wait before 2.0, as it comes after the inevitable heat death of the universe. XD
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Can i do a GZDoom 1.8.6/Zandronum compatible version?
Xaser wrote:This mod is a bit too Knee-Deep in ZScript at this point for any sort of conversion to be feasible. Sorry there. :(
Challenge accepted 8-)
EDIT: Just read through all of the files, and DANG this will be difficult, but nothing impossible :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TDRR wrote:Can i do a GZDoom 1.8.6/Zandronum compatible version?
Xaser wrote:This mod is a bit too Knee-Deep in ZScript at this point for any sort of conversion to be feasible. Sorry there. :(
Challenge accepted 8-)
EDIT: Just read through all of the files, and DANG this will be difficult, but nothing impossible :D
If Zandronum compatibility is the goal, wouldn't D4T be adequate?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

wildweasel wrote:
TDRR wrote:Can i do a GZDoom 1.8.6/Zandronum compatible version?
Challenge accepted 8-)
If Zandronum compatibility is the goal, wouldn't D4T be adequate?
Argent is VERY different from D4T, and is a lot more straightforward and in my opinion, more fun (depends on the mapset though).

Also, all Xaser mods deserve to be Zandronum compatible :lol:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Older versions of this mod used to use ACS+DECORATE (though with a lot of anonymous functions, which IIRC aren't a thing in Zandronum-land yet), so it may make more sense to start with one of those and work forward, rather than try and convert everything as it is right now. Might save some work, though emphasis on "might". It'll definitely be a challenge, heh. :P

I don't have any links offhand, but the Git repo has everything ever, so there's a start of sorts.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Xaser wrote:Older versions of this mod used to use ACS+DECORATE (though with a lot of anonymous functions, which IIRC aren't a thing in Zandronum-land yet), so it may make more sense to start with one of those and work forward, rather than try and convert everything as it is right now. Might save some work, though emphasis on "might". It'll definitely be a challenge, heh. :P

I don't have any links offhand, but the Git repo has everything ever, so there's a start of sorts.
That's even easier then, because i have already converted mods with a TON of anonymous functions (Trailblazer and ModOhFun come to mind) I'm going to try that out.

Not a challenge tougher than Trailblazer though, if there's a mod deep in new GZDoom features then it's Trailblazer. (Exception are those mods with ZScript :) )
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I'm not sure if this mod is being updated anymore, but I figured I'd post here anyway. In the past few versions of GZDoom, Argent VM aborts whenever you throw a grenade:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted:  Invalid class ArgPistol in function call to ArgEquipment.StateFunction.1. ArgEquipment expected
Called from ArgEquipment.Arg_A_UseEquipment at mod_argent.pk3:zscript/argent/items/equipment/arg-equipment.txt, line 94
Called from CustomInventory.Use at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/inventory/stateprovider.zs, line 472
Called from Actor.UseInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/inventory_util.zs, line 265
Called from PlayerPawn.UseInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/player/player_inventory.zs, line 219
Called from weapon state ArgEquipment.1 in ArgPistol
Called from PlayerInfo.SetPSprite [Native]
Called from state ArgEquipment.0 in inventory state chain in ArgEquipmentGrenade
Xaser

Re: [v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Welp, apologies for not responding, but thanks for the bugreport! Got it fixed, got a new version up, and I'm calling it v1.0.0 and uploading it to /idgames, just 'cause this has sat in a sort of "done, sans features that can conceivably be added in a v1.1.0 or something" state for like a year now. :P

Unceremonious, but hey, nothing's ever "done", is it? :P
Soul Sucka

Post by Soul Sucka »

Congrats on the release! This is my favourite Doom 4 mod, so it's great to see it's still being updated.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks there! There's still a ton more I hope to do with it... eventually-maybe. Might require a time machine and a whole bunch of multiversal manipulation shenanigans to pull off though, knowing myself.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

is this compatible with other enemies only mods?
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

armymen12002003 wrote:is this compatible with other enemies only mods?
It is for the most part, but since the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon drop the chaingun and gauss cannon upon death respectively, you won't be able to get them without console commands.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:
armymen12002003 wrote:is this compatible with other enemies only mods?
It is for the most part, but since the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon drop the chaingun and gauss cannon upon death respectively, you won't be able to get them without console commands.

If it is true?, does this work on Custom Boss Monsters to drop Chaingun and Gauss?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

YasuoProjectX wrote:If it is true?, does this work on Custom Boss Monsters to drop Chaingun and Gauss?
Yes it is. Cyberdemon Drops Gauss Cannon and SMM Drops Chaingun... Two of them. Not sure if it was intentional.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

@YasuoProjectX: You can use Shades of Doom, though, since it has a patch for Argent.

Speaking of which I actually tried script a Trailblazer-type weapon randomiser spawner for Argent (so that Chainguns had a 10% chance to spawn whenever a HMG was normally spawned, Gauss instead of Rocket Launchers, and chance for Light Goggles to spawn weaponmods since some wads are VERY stingy with backpacks), but I failed a few times and gave up since my scripting knowledge is fairly rudimentary. If Xaser is still interested in ever coming back to Argent and adding features; something like this would be a good option (along with finishing the inventory!)!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”