[BUGFIX!] Doom Delta v2.2.1!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby DrPyspy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Deviluke Roy wrote:Ok, I guess.

BTW, Is it a good idea to play it with DUMP, or something? You know, compatibility testing?

In order for the custom intermission screen to look good, it needs to prevent the normal intermission screen from loading. Currently the only possible method I have is to edit the MAPINFO and skip the intermission screen. Unfortunately, this creates incompatibility with mapsets that change the MAPINFO, but the only alternative was to make the mod even less compatible with mapsets, so it had to be done. HOWEVER, mapsets can be fixed in most cases with the following MAPINFO code:

Code: Select allExpand view
defaultmap
{
   nointermission
}

Hopefully there is some way to skip the intermission without altering the MAPINFO in the future.

And now, the testing build release! I've decided to release this publicly, because I thought a lot about it, and I decided that more people having more access to the build creates a higher chance of people providing feedback. Here is some important information about the mod:

• The Unmaker spawns in place of the BFG 9000 when you already have the BFG in your possession.
  • The Dark Claw spawns in place of the Plasma Rifle under the same circumstances.
  • The Chaos Field spawns in place of the Blur Sphere.
  • The characters use portraits from Rise of the Triad as placeholders due to some trouble with getting the Doom Delta portraits to look correct in the Doom style.
  • Lorelei and Thi's voices are placeholders, taken from Soul Caliber V.
  • Currently there is no support for ZDoom's fullscreen HUD, but that should change before release.
  • There is a small chance that there will be some uncredited resources. If you find any, please let me know so that everything can be properly credited.
  • shit might be broke

If you have any questions, PM me or ask them in this thread, whichever is more convenient for you. It is hard to tell what is a bug and what is a feature if you aren't the one developing it, so if you have any questions about anything that you may come across in the mod, please let me know. I do not recommend loading it with Brutal Doom.

Click here for the TESTING BUILD
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:23 pm

I've waited anxiously for this!
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby JoeyTD » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Here's an old recoil and fire frames for the starter rifle, I made them back from when I was helping sodailac on his doom unleashed mod.

I hope to see more come from this mod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoeyTD
BeardedDoomGuy everywhere else

Postby QuakedoomNukem Cz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:01 pm

It think this picture sums it all about that thing:
http://imgur.com/SwHoCgW
QuakedoomNukem Cz
Grammar Nazi and Graphics Whore with a kind heart.

Discord: #2091

Postby DrPyspy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:11 pm

QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:It think this picture sums it all about that thing:

I think I know what is causing the problem. I only built the HUD for 16:9 and 4:3. Can I ask what aspect ratio you are playing in so I can add in support?
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM

Postby QuakedoomNukem Cz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:41 pm

DrPyspy wrote:
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:It think this picture sums it all about that thing:

I think I know what is causing the problem. I only built the HUD for 16:9 and 4:3. Can I ask what aspect ratio you are playing in so I can add in support?

Now I'm not sure if it was, because of the .ini file I threw in my Gzdoom 2.3 and 2.2 folder, but then I deleted them and made a new .ini files. Then the mod was working fine, around 30fps for me, and recorded some footage from E1M1-E1M3. My screen size is 1360x768.
QuakedoomNukem Cz
Grammar Nazi and Graphics Whore with a kind heart.

Discord: #2091

Postby unRyker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:25 pm

Alright! Here's what I've come across so far in about the first 30 minutes.

PROS:
  • The character selection screen graphics look much nicer than what you've previously brought to the table.
  • The built-in Automap is a neat gimmick that I haven't seen before in a Doom mod, very cool to experiment with.
  • The player was given options to fine-tune their experience, e.g Simpler hud, Alpha-styled Lost Soul, etc.
  • All classes seem to cater to different play-styles nicely.

CONS:
  • Odd frame-hitching in all levels played. FPS would go from 60 to low 50's. It seems to be more prominent in the outdoor area of E1M1. Specs are posted below.
  • Built-in Automap in the original HUD seems to be useless. What is it for, exactly? It doesn't show your markers made in the true Automap-- it just seems to be a heavily limited version of the Computer Area map. I feel more could be done with it.
  • Multiplayer is dysfunctional but that was as expected.

CONCERNS/SUGGESTIONS:
  • PNGs should be converted into Doom image format. Also there is also an amusing, yet irrelevant player skin stuffed in there.
  • Sound-quality can be compressed further to simulate true-Doom sound. Convert them all into 11025 Hz sound in the 8-bit WAV format using Mono (not stereo!) and export. After putting it into SLADE3, right-clicking will allow to convert it into Doom sound for authenticity.
  • Your To-Do list mentions replacing the Berserk pack with the Unmaker. I disagree with that move. Why?

Tested with
Code: Select allExpand view
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
16GB Ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 970

Posted below is my (G)ZDoom setup for debugging and testing.

Personal contents of ZDoom Folder.

I will continue to keep playing, and I will post a more detailed version of my thoughts around the end of this week. It's neat seeing this project come to life, keep working on it!
unRyker

Postby Martix10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Some parts of the map don't apear in the minimap, like some lifts and some stairs:
http://imgur.com/a/WZaKS
Martix10

Postby DrPyspy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:08 pm

QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:Now I'm not sure if it was, because of the .ini file I threw in my Gzdoom 2.3 and 2.2 folder, but then I deleted them and made a new .ini files. Then the mod was working fine, around 30fps for me, and recorded some footage from E1M1-E1M3. My screen size is 1360x768.

If I'm calculating it correctly, 1360x768 is 16:10. I will add support for 16:10 to solve this issue.

unRyker wrote:Odd frame-hitching in all levels played. FPS would go from 60 to low 50's. It seems to be more prominent in the outdoor area of E1M1.

Frame rate seems to be a looming issue, and I'm sure it is tied to the helmt HUD's minimap, as the frame rate does speed up when the status bar is used instead of the helmet HUD. Currently all that can be done is to lower the resolution and maybe switch to ZDoom if you haven't already, but in the future I'll try to optimize the minimap further and add a slider to decrease the minimap update rate.

unRyker wrote:Built-in Automap in the original HUD seems to be useless. What is it for, exactly? It doesn't show your markers made in the true Automap-- it just seems to be a heavily limited version of the Computer Area map. I feel more could be done with it.

I would like to expand upon its functionality in the future, and I'll see what I can do about markers. The current minimap system makes it difficult to add non-wall objects, but I'll try to work around it.

unRyker wrote:Multiplayer is dysfunctional but that was as expected.

A lot of stuff is currently built around only one player existing, but I do want to work on getting everything compatible with multiplayer!

unRyker wrote:PNGs should be converted into Doom image format.

Will do!

unRyker wrote:Sound-quality can be compressed further to simulate true-Doom sound. Convert them all into 11025 Hz sound in the 8-bit WAV format using Mono (not stereo!) and export. After putting it into SLADE3, right-clicking will allow to convert it into Doom sound for authenticity.

The stereo is a mistake on my part, my sound designer is usually in charge of that but I added a few sounds of my own and forget to convert them to mono. I'll try out converting them to Doom sound, that sounds like a good idea!

unRyker wrote:Your To-Do list mentions replacing the Berserk pack with the Unmaker. I disagree with that move. Why?

The to-do list in the pk3 is a bit outdated, I moved my to-do list to a separate text document and forgot to take the one in the pk3 out. Originally, the Dark Claw and the Unmaker were supposed to replace the Blur Sphere and Berserk respectively, but I took some inspiration from MetaDoom's weapon spawning philosophy and made them spawn where they do now.

Martix10 wrote:Some parts of the map don't apear in the minimap, like some lifts and some stairs:
http://imgur.com/a/WZaKS

This is due to how the custom minimap detects walls. I might be able to fix it by increasing the width of the actor used to check for walls, but I'm afraid it might not work.
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM

Postby demo_the_man » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:12 pm

This is coming along amazingly
The rifle is useful alot later in the game than the pistol ever was, the shotgun is good and the ssg is pulled off nicely
The automap in the hud is spectacualar.
My biggest complaint is that loreli chen is too fast, she can outrun her own rockets and plasma shots, which while a bit nitpicky,i had to use the helmet hud to prevent me from getting sick from her moving too fast Going to try to play this in gzdoom vr on a vr headset to see if the helmet hud fixes alot of vr issues.
on the other hand i did beat my e1 best time
demo_the_man
Did i ever tell ye the story of me old bones?

Discord: demo_the_man#8942

Postby Kinsie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:39 pm

This is a TERRIBLE idea that will cause any new graphics to look horrible when playing mapsets that use a custom pallete, like Back to Saturn X. If you're even slightly considering compatibility with non-IWAD mapsets, stick to 8-bit PNGs.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby DrPyspy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 am

Kinsie wrote:
This is a TERRIBLE idea that will cause any new graphics to look horrible when playing mapsets that use a custom pallete, like Back to Saturn X. If you're even slightly considering compatibility with non-IWAD mapsets, stick to 8-bit PNGs.

My PNGs are currently paletted, will they still be affected?
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM

Postby Kinsie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:11 am

DrPyspy wrote:
Kinsie wrote:
This is a TERRIBLE idea that will cause any new graphics to look horrible when playing mapsets that use a custom palette, like Back to Saturn X. If you're even slightly considering compatibility with non-IWAD mapsets, stick to 8-bit PNGs.

My PNGs are currently paletted, will they still be affected?
Palleted/indexed/8-bit PNGs are fine - if you're running in software, ZDoom will intelligently twiddle them so they look somewhat right with whatever PLAYPAL is being used. It doesn't do that with the old Doom image format, it'll just use whatever colour is at the requested palette entry number, which can result in things looking Pretty Weird in mods with custom PLAYPALs.

Unpalleted PNGs are also fine, but they're a lot larger filesize-wise and probably don't get palletized in software nearly as gracefully, so there isn't a whole lot of point outside of menu graphics (which are rendered in hardware on Windows ZDoom), so you can kinda go hog-wild there if need be.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby SiFi270 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:51 am

I really like what you've done with the Wolfenstein enemies, but I think it'd be more in the spirit of the mod to either make them chaingunners or try to recreate the EGA SS.

Also, have you considered giving players the option to change the score items back to armor bonuses?
SiFi270

Postby DrPyspy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:18 am

demo_the_man wrote:My biggest complaint is that loreli chen is too fast, she can outrun her own rockets and plasma shots, which while a bit nitpicky,i had to use the helmet hud to prevent me from getting sick from her moving too fast Going to try to play this in gzdoom vr on a vr headset to see if the helmet hud fixes alot of vr issues.
on the other hand i did beat my e1 best time

I've been considering nerfing the sprint speed on the faster characters to prevent incredible high speeds, so hopefully that fixes part of the issue.

Kinsie wrote:My PNGs are currently paletted, will they still be affected?
Palleted/indexed/8-bit PNGs are fine - if you're running in software, ZDoom will intelligently twiddle them so they look somewhat right with whatever PLAYPAL is being used. It doesn't do that with the old Doom image format, it'll just use whatever colour is at the requested palette entry number, which can result in things looking Pretty Weird in mods with custom PLAYPALs.

Unpalleted PNGs are also fine, but they're a lot larger filesize-wise and probably don't get palletized in software nearly as gracefully, so there isn't a whole lot of point outside of menu graphics (which are rendered in hardware on Windows ZDoom), so you can kinda go hog-wild there if need be.[/quote]

Sounds good, I'll keep everything as paletted PNGs.

SiFi270 wrote:I really like what you've done with the Wolfenstein enemies, but I think it'd be more in the spirit of the mod to either make them chaingunners or try to recreate the EGA SS.

Also, have you considered giving players the option to change the score items back to armor bonuses?

Chaingunners sounds a bit uninteresting, but the EGA SS is an interesting idea. I'll think about it. On the subject of armor bonuses, that sounds like a great idea! I'll implement it.
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods