[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by SoulCircle »

Cyberdemon2006 wrote:What I meant by curse is that many have tried to create/recreate Tom Hall's vision of how Doom should've been.. only for it to go pear shaped in some way
For that curse is sure a mean mistress to the ones who try their best.

EDIT: I am guessing that the mythical Hi-color mode won't return. :P Oh, and is there any chance of the use of the old Lost Soul sprites?
Truvix

Post by Truvix »

I figure now would be a good time to ask how things are going with this project, considering it's been quite some time since the last post on this thread. Are we ever going to get to see those new sprites for the unmaker? I would really like to see that, considering that what we've seen of its spritework is really promising so far. I don't have much else to say, just wanted to make sure everything's alright on your end, since, as I said in the past, this shows a lot of promise and I really want to see where this project ends up going. :)
SoulCircle

Post by SoulCircle »

God damnit, I got my hopes real high when I saw a new post...

Anyways... I have to agree with Truvix, it has so much potential and should truly be finished.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

At least turvix questioned for it. Not complimenting, asking for news or something.
Truvix wrote:Are we ever going to get to see those new sprites for the unmaker?
If this mod is finished or the author is willing to release the sprites of this mod, of course we can see it fully made!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is indeed very awesome. Is it only a gameplay mod or do you also plan to make some maps?
SoulCircle

Post by SoulCircle »

They do plan on adding in the original Alpha maps aswell.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

I've been occupied with some other Doom-related projects, but there have been some updates to Doom Delta in the meantime:

I changed the rifle to the newer one from one of the final alphas. It also has a new animation, which you can view here. I apologize for the developer messages, as I was debugging some decorate functions.

The mod also supports 16:9 now! (click for big) The hud transitions pretty well to 16:9, and feels a lot less cramped at that aspect ratio as well. Both 4:3 and 16:9 will be supported in the final version.

This video contains footage of an experimental Chaos Field power up, which forces demons in a radius to engage in infighting. It currently works by firing extremely weak hitscan attacks to provoke the demons into attacking each other. It spawns in place of the blur sphere. Previously the Dark Claw spawned in place of the blursphere, but now the the Unmaker and Dark Claw spawn in place of the BFG and the Plasma Rifle if they're already in your possession.

Also Unmaker.
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

sprite sheet of this unmaker?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that unmaker just got better!
SoulCircle

Post by SoulCircle »

Great to hear that progress is still going. I've been writhing in excitement waiting for this beauty to come out! Cannot wait to see the final product, and keep up the good work! (Oh and, are you going to use the old lost soul sprites?)

EDIT: Holy shit I forgot to mention something... It is a beauty and a half! I just want to grab it... And touch it and just feel it's awesome throb of energy... The unmaker ofcourse!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:sprite sheet of this unmaker?
Not yet, as the sprites still aren't entirely finished.
SoulCircle wrote:Great to hear that progress is still going. I've been writhing in excitement waiting for this beauty to come out! Cannot wait to see the final product, and keep up the good work! (Oh and, are you going to use the old lost soul sprites?)
Players can choose from either the alpha lost soul, or the default lost soul.
SoulCircle wrote:EDIT: Holy shit I forgot to mention something... It is a beauty and a half! I just want to grab it... And touch it and just feel it's awesome throb of energy... The unmaker ofcourse!

A small update, but here's some footage of both the invulnerability sphere and the chaos field powerups being used at the same time! It is pretty overpowered, having the game fight for you, but it lasts only 30 seconds at most.

On the non-visual side, for those who like to play with a controller, the character select will be supporting controller input. The menu originally detected the use of the movement keys, but control sticks do not make use of these inputs, so if you were playing controller-only, you would be stuck right at the character select. Thankfully, this is no longer the case.

Additionally, the minimap will be undergoing a rewrite, as the way it was written does not play well with 16:9.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Oh, so that's the direction you're taking with the SSG. I was expecting it to maybe be pump-action because that's how TCRF interpreted it but I have had my doubts about id intending that at any stage.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

SiFi270 wrote:Oh, so that's the direction you're taking with the SSG. I was expecting it to maybe be pump-action because that's how TCRF interpreted it but I have had my doubts about id intending that at any stage.
I really wanted it to be pump action, but I had some problems implementing it. I could've gone in two directions: make it pump as fast as the shotgun and make it really overpowered, or make it pump agonizingly slow to fit the reload speed of the SSG. In the end, I decided on having it reload like the normal SSG.
edgymemester

Post by edgymemester »

In the same way that the player can select between the regular lost soul and the alpha lost soul, can you please add an option to choose between the the "hybrid" alpha shotgun and the regular alpha shotgun for those who prefer a little more authenticity/like the regular alpha design better?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

edgymemester wrote:In the same way that the player can select between the regular lost soul and the alpha lost soul, can you please add an option to choose between the the "hybrid" alpha shotgun and the regular alpha shotgun for those who prefer a little more authenticity/like the regular alpha design better?
Sure, I'll keep it in mind.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”