[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by DrPyspy »

Onslaught Six wrote:This is amazing stuff--probably the closest to a true "alpha/beta Doom" project that anyone has ever made it. Would love to see some of those projects take their maps--if indeed they even exist--and be rebuilt around this.
I've seen a few alpha mods that have had maps, although I can't recall if they were ever released to the public, which is a shame.
Onslaught Six wrote: That all said--the number one thing I've always hated about the alpha HUD (other than how much it tends to get in the way of the sides, but it is what it is there) is the damn numbers on the ammo counter. They've always looked so terrible, unfitting and just bad. I tried to make a replacement set for myself real quick (based off the blue Alpha HUD BIGFONT Jimmy made but just coloured completely blue) but it scales weirdly in-game; would love to know why that is. (Here is a Dropbox to a zip with the font if anyone is curious or knows how to alter it to make it work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5afxce39e21hw ... s.zip?dl=0)
Not sure why it wouldn't work; care to post a screenshot of what it looks like in-game?
Onslaught Six wrote: Other than that and a few questionable sprite changes (I believe things like the imp fireballs and red/green fluctuating BFG/Plasma balls were changed for a reason, they looked stupid in the alpha/beta--but again, that's all to taste, your mod is accurate to the original intent) this mod is amazing.
Personally, I think having the old fireballs and BFG balls is pretty neat, but everyone has their own tastes. Thanks!
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Does the new release include new music as well?
I'm thinking of including an option to replace certain tracks with the unused Doom music, specifically on levels that don't have unique tracks.
Metal_Spaghetti

Post by Metal_Spaghetti »

You Think to add the unused map?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Click for big

Here's a peek at the new HUD option! This new status bar is based on the Doom 0.5 alpha and the Doom: Evil Unleashed mod.

click for Also big

Additionally, here's a WIP shot of the revamped character select menu! With the new font, I can go more in-depth about each characters' strengths and weaknesses.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Nice job I'm loving that revamped character select menu.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

DrPyspy wrote:Image
Click for big

Here's a peek at the new HUD option! This new status bar is based on the Doom 0.5 alpha and the Doom: Evil Unleashed mod.
is that a new Fullscreen HUD if i'm not mistaken?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

YukesVonFaust wrote: is that a new Fullscreen HUD if i'm not mistaken?
This HUD won't be replacing any previous HUDs. It is pretty similar to the old one, though. :D
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Post by epiccolton26 »

This could very well be just me, but I'm noticing another potential issue with the mod. Normally, when armor bonuses are perched on a small ledge (say, on a computer monitor), they're still able to be picked up. However, with the score items that replace said bonuses, some of them can't be picked up and are nearly difficult to pick up when they're on such a ledge or edge, unless you do a really quick dash towards them. Looking at the class codes for the armor bonus and score items for comparison, the regular armor bonus has a radius of 20, while the score item base (and all score items as a result) has a radius of 16.

My suggestion for a fix (if it isn't just me) of this would be to set the score item radius to the same as the armor bonus, that way they can still be picked up from a computer monitor or at the edge of a ledge without having to dash or ram towards what they're on.

Edit: Grammar mistake.
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

DrPyspy wrote:Image
Click for big

Loving the HUD and select menu.
Spoiler:
I feel like I'm copying you now.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Will the next release include the Doom Bible's shields? Given that the HUD has a third bar..
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

epiccolton26 wrote:This could very well be just me, but I'm noticing another potential issue with the mod. Normally, when armor bonuses are perched on a small ledge (say, on a computer monitor), they're still able to be picked up. However, with the score items that replace said bonuses, some of them can't be picked up and are nearly difficult to pick up when they're on such a ledge or edge, unless you do a really quick dash towards them. Looking at the class codes for the armor bonus and score items for comparison, the regular armor bonus has a radius of 20, while the score item base (and all score items as a result) has a radius of 16.

My suggestion for a fix (if it isn't just me) of this would be to set the score item radius to the same as the armor bonus, that way they can still be picked up from a computer monitor or at the edge of a ledge without having to dash or ram towards what they're on.

This should be fixed now, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :D
Retraux Squid wrote:Will the next release include the Doom Bible's shields? Given that the HUD has a third bar..
This next release probably won't feature shields, but I've got it on my mind. The Chaos Field powerup is one of the candidates for testing out a potential shield system.

Now, a major update! Doom Delta's ACS-controlled minimap was cool at the cost of performance issues, to the point where the software renderer was the only way to play the mod at a decent framerate. Now, thanks to the magic of ZScript and some small optimizations, the minimap is better than ever! With the power of ZScript, the minimap is more accurate, gathering data from the map itself and outputting it directly to the minimap.

Framerates only reachable through the software renderer are now reachable with OpenGL! Here, GZDoom is handling the minimap with ambient occlusion at 153 FPS.

In this linedef-heavy area, the minimap carries on at an framerate of 135 FPS! Currently this build is being passed around to gather performance statistics, and so far things are looking good!
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

DrPyspy wrote:
epiccolton26 wrote:This could very well be just me, but I'm noticing another potential issue with the mod. Normally, when armor bonuses are perched on a small ledge (say, on a computer monitor), they're still able to be picked up. However, with the score items that replace said bonuses, some of them can't be picked up and are nearly difficult to pick up when they're on such a ledge or edge, unless you do a really quick dash towards them. Looking at the class codes for the armor bonus and score items for comparison, the regular armor bonus has a radius of 20, while the score item base (and all score items as a result) has a radius of 16.

This should be fixed now, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :D
Retraux Squid wrote:Will the next release include the Doom Bible's shields? Given that the HUD has a third bar..
This next release probably won't feature shields, but I've got it on my mind. The Chaos Field powerup is one of the candidates for testing out a potential shield system.

Now, a major update! Doom Delta's ACS-controlled minimap was cool at the cost of performance issues, to the point where the software renderer was the only way to play the mod at a decent framerate. Now, thanks to the magic of ZScript and some small optimizations, the minimap is better than ever! With the power of ZScript, the minimap is more accurate, gathering data from the map itself and outputting it directly to the minimap.

Framerates only reachable through the software renderer are now reachable with OpenGL! Here, GZDoom is handling the minimap with ambient occlusion at 153 FPS.

In this linedef-heavy area, the minimap carries on at an framerate of 135 FPS! Currently this build is being passed around to gather performance statistics, and so far things are looking good!
My god, those widescreen helmet HUDs. Now I don't have to muck about with a tiny statusbar.

Perhaps, though, you could include an option for the two square screens on each side to be more flush with the rest of the helmet instead of sticking out; it's rather weird to have them cut in so jarringly to the rest of the helmet.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Retraux Squid wrote: Perhaps, though, you could include an option for the two square screens on each side to be more flush with the rest of the helmet instead of sticking out; it's rather weird to have them cut in so jarringly to the rest of the helmet.
I'm having trouble visualizing this, what do you have in mind?
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

Retraux Squid wrote: The Doom Bible says that former humans of all types are possessed and not just mindless corpses. I'd imagine that they would try to take cover and do other intelligent things if it was possible in the engine (which it is not).
Just a tiny trivial note, Project Brutality has made zombies noticeably bother to take cover, albeit uncommonly. That's all.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Small update. Doom Delta 2.0 is approaching a closed-testing phase, which will eventually lead into an open testing phase, much like 1.0. However, I've had people tell me that they're a bit uncomfortable with writing bug reports to the forum, so in an effort to remedy that while keeping all the bug reports in one place, I'm introducing the Doom Delta Discord server. When the testing release eventually rolls around, feel free to drop bug reports or suggestions into the Discord. Or, if you want to stick around and chat, you can do that too! There hasn't really been a unified place to discuss the mod until now, so go for it. For those uncomfortable with using Discord, feel free to resume posting or sending bug reports/suggestions as you have before.

The estimated release date for 2.0 is before the end of this month, hopefully. I'm still experimenting with ZScript, so it may take a while to catch any bugs that may pop up due to possible mistakes in the code, but the goal is before the end of the month. :D (also it goes without saying that Doom Delta will be dropping ZDoom support due to the requirement for ZScript)
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Post by epiccolton26 »

Fine with posting any bug reports on this thread for the time being. :P

Looking forward to the (eventual) release of 2.0 as always. :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”