[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Doom Delta v2.0 BETA TEST!

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

It also means they do not get to shoot you as often as the other Possessed, thus making them less dangerous. :?
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

So this mod won an award in the 2K17 Cacowards. I have to say- amazing work, DrPyspy. This remains one of my favorite mods of all time.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Great title art (nice to see a woman as the focal point), neat red claw, and that BFG just may be my favorite of its kind!
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

I'm really honored to have received a Cacoward! I'd like to thank all the people who provided feedback in this thread and on the Discord, and I'd also like to thank all my friends who helped me with this project. I'd like to thank my friend Stachekip for getting me started in the very beginning and supporting me all the way! A lot of the mod just wouldn't be the same without him, especially since he's the voice actor for John! I'd also like to thank Hot Pocket for collaborating with me on the designs for the characters and the old TITLEPIC, and I'd also like to thank Drew, who helped bring Dimitri to life with his voice acting! Thanks to my friend c0nnee, as well as everyone above, for helping playtest the mod throughout its development. Thank you everyone for all your support! At this time, I'm focusing on polishing and cleaning some under-the-hood stuff, and making sure that everything works exactly as it needs to. I'm hoping to put out a release candidate build within a month or so!
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Out of curiosity, why are you making the Machinegunner smarter than the other Possessed? Frankly, so far, that seems be making them less dangerous than the Chaingunner. Also, why are the pickup messages not centered - even though I have enabled that option in GZDoom. They also seem to ignore my current scaling options. However, sometimes I do not get a pickup message for the Dolls. How come? Finally, the M_SKULL icon in the main meny seems to get cut off at the bottom.

EDIT: I meant to ask you for a long time, but now that Lost Souls have corpses, can they be revived by Arch-Viles?
This was originally because they were more prone to infighting due to two Machinegunners being spawned in the place of one Chaingunner. Unfortunately, I've been running into a lot of obstacles with this, and they've never really performed as I've wanted them to, even with the modifications I've made to their logic. I've been thinking on it, and I think I'm going to change them up. As of now, they only spawn ONE Machinegunner, and their behavior will be modified to fit their new role. Their spawning behavior will be altered according to your position in a mapset, with Chaingunners being absent at the beginning, eventually focusing solely on Chaingunners with the occasional Machinegunner. This is still open to modification, but I have very high hopes about this incarnation. I'm thinking of ditching the red hair and going for a different color (or entirely different spriteset), but I can't confirm anything yet.

The pickup messages are now affected by the centered message setting, but I won't be able to change the scaling on them due to the way they're implemented. Hopefully this isn't too bad of an issue! I believe the M_SKULL is intended to be the top half of a Lost Soul, but there may have been an error when I was cropping out the graphics, so I'll double-check that later.

Also, Lost Soul corpses cannot be resurrected by Arch-Viles.
Retraux Squid wrote: Also,
Script error, "DoomDelta_v2_Beta_11-2-2017.pk3:fontdefs" line 45:
BESMZ: Unable to find texture in font definition for SMALLHUD_BETA
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script error, "DoomDelta_v2_Beta_11-2-2017.pk3:zscript.txt" line 57:
Unknown function ToUpper
Execution could not continue.
1 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts

Deleting both of these errors allows the beta to play seemingly unhitched, but I figured you should know about it.
I'm pretty sure this is a version issue, so if you haven't already done this, you should try the latest version of GZDoom.
Sayok6

Post by Sayok6 »

Congrats on the Cacoward! For some feedback, I'd like an option where there's the SNES Wolf3D sounds instead of the final Doom sounds, a la the build from the "A Visit to id Software" video.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

DrPyspy wrote: I think I'm going to change them up. As of now, they only spawn ONE Machinegunner, and their behavior will be modified to fit their new role. Their spawning behavior will be altered according to your position in a mapset, with Chaingunners being absent at the beginning, eventually focusing solely on Chaingunners with the occasional Machinegunner. This is still open to modification, but I have very high hopes about this incarnation. I'm thinking of ditching the red hair and going for a different color (or entirely different spriteset), but I can't confirm anything yet.
I think keeping the red hair and lightening the color to a near-Marine level would make them look really good. I like the idea of one more powerful machinegunner in each spot, but I think that on later maps they should have a chance of replacing shotgunners or maybe even zombiemen in the final few, to keep them fairly frequent as basic lead spitting enemies.
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

This mod really deserves the Cacoward. Congratulations!

Also, I think I'm missing something at the secret detector preview video, but I don't think the detector is that noticeable.

EDIT: Bug report (beta v2.0)! While I was messing around with no-clipping cheat in E2M3: Refinery, I found Thi Barrett's doll in a random spot outside of the map.
Which makes it impossible to finish the level at all (even after I disabled the cheat, I still couldn't pick it).
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I think that bug is fine unless some maps are intended to beat by cheating... For some reason! Anyway that screenshot gives me a chuckle.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

I like this mod. This is a good thing to bring the original visions of id here to us now, and juice it up a bit too! :mrgreen:
Lila Feuer

Post by Lila Feuer »

I like this mod quite a lot, but I take issue with a few things regarding weapons:

1. The Chaingun says it does 8 dmg (so 1-8?) but it doesn't seem any stronger than the machine gun, and it's only a little bit faster. Add in the wind up time and it's just harder to use reliably.

2. The BFG 2704's projectiles seem to ignore auto-aim, only firing directly where you're facing, not seeking out targets higher than you. Then again, this may of been original behavior?

3. The Unmaker is unbelievably OP, and only takes 4 souls per shot. Even though you can only harvest souls from possessed marines, I think it should take more per shot to justify the insane killing power. Maybe also raise the Dark Claw's soul use to reflect the amount of projectiles it fires, since it is also pretty powerful and able to pierce through multiple enemies.

So far I've played Doom 1 with all four characters (one per episode) and am going to do Doom II, haven't had any problems during the 2.0 branch.

E: The Machine Gun Guy doesn't ever seem to attack, just wander and then threaten to shoot but never actually does.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Beta-test version spawns a skull after, say, a zombieman dies; I neither can pick it nor they disappear after time! Why? For what are they spawning there?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

cyan0s1s wrote:Even though you can only harvest souls from possessed marines
I thought the Doom Bible had souls being harvested from demons. The marines already drop pickups, so maybe the demons should drop the unmaker powerups? (and the unmaker should be less op as well)
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

ImpieTwo wrote:
cyan0s1s wrote:Even though you can only harvest souls from possessed marines
I thought the Doom Bible had souls being harvested from demons. The marines already drop pickups, so maybe the demons should drop the unmaker powerups? (and the unmaker should be less op as well)
Yep, exactly, they are for the Unmaker and for the Red Hand, but for no reason you start with 200 (max) souls so you can't collect new. I got confused by this.
And, unmaker is OP as hell
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I used the stable 1.1 version on Consolation Prize's Doom 64 maps and the mod outright confirms that the Unmaker doesn't show up, while some items don't respawn in the test rooms for weapons and items.
Meanwhile, catching the BFG in the supposed Unmaker room won't open the gates for the three megaspheres (that replace the demon keys).
making4

Post by making4 »

Trip report:

This is awesome!

Got the 2.0 beta yesterday, and just played through all of Doom 2 on Ultra Violence, with the newest 2018 gzdoom version, brightmaps, lights, and nash-gore. Didn't encounter any crashes or game-ending bugs. Came up short on secrets on a lot of levels, though I attribute that more to me not remembering where they were than anything else. Didn't tend to find the dolls in levels I was short of secrets on though.

I had all the alpha items turned on except for the lost soul behavior, which I left on delta. Playing Lorelei.

Here are the only things that I wrote down:
- Chaingunners aren't dropping souls.
- I don't see enemies, keys, or items on the minimap. Not sure if that is correct or not, but some of the earlier screenshots show them.
- Minimap shows the real level geometry, not what I've explored. Not sure if that is intentional or not, but it is neat for finding secrets.
- Chain gun doesn't seem to stun, at least not archviles. I stopped trying to use it on them. I feel that it might not stun enemies at all. I also think it needs a slight damage buff, maybe 1-2 damage per bullet, or maybe a slightly faster max spin and acceleration. Maybe make it punchier but even less accurate (think Marathon 2 machinegun)?
- The helmet hud shows over my big map (tab) and blocks some things. Even if I expand the view to take it away during gameplay, it comes back on the map. I actually love the helmet hud but I don't think it should cover the map edges.
- I sort of feel that there is a delay with the bayonet between attacking and the animation starting. Was having trouble connecting with it.

One question on history: Was there ever any rationale for why the nice rifle was dropped in favor of the awful retail pistol?

And a feature request:
- I was looking at the doom bible for the first time yesterday night, and noticed heatseeking rockets - any chance of those getting into the mod? They could be an alt-fire on the launcher, though I don't know how inventory tracking or drops would work on them... maybe something the launcher can always do that consumes 2 rockets per shot?

Thanks for the great work!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”