[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [BUGFIX!] Doom Delta v2.2.1!

Post by Captain J »

drfrag wrote:Of course, is that a typo and you wanted to write hudtype?
Becouse that doesn't make much sense.
null9052 basically replied this previous reply of mine, pointing out my typo i mentioned:
Captain J wrote:Huh... Yeah, about that-- v2.2.1, v.2.2, v2.1 and v2.0 doesn't work on GZDoom 4.4.2 either. The much earlier versions work just fine, though.
I should've typed "earlier" instead of "later" because the ones below said versions works properly without any error and yet are very outdated. Also i'm looking for a clue why the latest version of doom delta and below doesn't work anymore.

Okay, now this might explain it nicely. Sorry for the headboggling confusion. I should've added more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Replied the reply? Your typo was typing earlier instead of later, i was referring to the typo in the mod. Are we talking in riddles now? :)
Fixing that it should run in GZDoom, it runs in LZDoom now.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Again, i responded to null because they pointed out my typo on my previous post. Funny you're actually referring to typo in the mod, not my post while i just realized that i made a typo.

I thought you were replying me and made me confused there. But thanks for the quick fix!
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

Have you ever wanted to add animated cell packs?

There was also an earlier BFG pickup, which in my opinion is based on the three-barreled version.
Ludicrous_peridot

Post by Ludicrous_peridot »

I have only recently learned about Doom Delta, and what an amazing discovery for me it is.
And as much as I love production values of this mod I also wonder if these minor things could be fixed in an upcoming bugfix or release?

1. Brighter hud bars for 100+ health and armor are set to redraw every 6 ticks (or so) which produces annoying jitter when player is over 100 health or armor. I've quickly edited out the timer clause and the jitter is gone but I honestly don't know what I am doing and these were probably added for a reason?

2. As posted few month ago (pardon the bump) hud settings would not save between restarts. I replaced player with server in the cvars definition and this has fixed the option saving, but again - I suspect there's was a reason this was set to player in the first place.

3. As great as the title screen font and skull look, with Sigil or certain map packs (check out no end in sight for example) the combination of beta fonts and splatter in red episode name sprite just doesn't look right and side borders seem to be slightly out of place. Could there be an option to use vanilla skull and red font for episode menu - e.g. if anything except episodes GZDoom knows about is loaded, something like this?
vanilla.png
Ludicrous_peridot

Well, DoomDelta considered stable and most (I assume) players not spending significant time in menus, probably my cosmetic request in point 3 above will unlikely get attention. So I took this into my own hands and did a small rendering tweak for episodes menu for my personal use.

So if episode menu is fully text it will be rendered in Beta style matching main menu of the mod (e.g. Doom2 with NRFTL from BFG edition as an example)
Spoiler:
.. but if menu has pics for episode names, it will be shown on the title pic with default font/selector instead...
Spoiler:
and still be back to the Beta style when in the difficulty settings next screen
Spoiler:
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

I'm having problems getting the mod to work with the most recent GZdoom.

I get these errors

Script error, "DoomDelta_v2.2.1.pk3:zscript/delta/hud_base.zsc" line 460:
Unknown identifier 'fullscreen'

How can I fix this?

P.S. Unless there is no way to fix this on GZ don't tell me to use another source port, I prefer to use GZ for mods
JuliusKoolius

Post by JuliusKoolius »

TheOldKingCole wrote:I'm having problems getting the mod to work with the most recent GZdoom.

I get these errors

How can I fix this?

P.S. Unless there is no way to fix this on GZ don't tell me to use another source port, I prefer to use GZ for mods
I found this same problem, but you can easily fix this in Slade by deleting that line of code
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

JuliusKoolius wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:I'm having problems getting the mod to work with the most recent GZdoom.

I get these errors

How can I fix this?

I found this same problem, but you can easily fix this in Slade by deleting that line of code
Thanks
Ludicrous_peridot

So, while mod authors are apparently busy with tons of stuff, let me share some derivative map packs I've done by editing other people's work.

The aim was to give Doom Delta some maps from Alpha/Beta to run around for sight seeing and shooting monsters (e.g. with appropriate HUD selected :) ) and to also have some Alpha/Beta inspired maps (and hence fit Doom Delta perfectly) that are actually playable. Since the maps and conversions authors normally put effort in place to actually imitate pre-release Doom, I spent some time to undo this (to let Doom Delta handle gameplay) and also replace most of custom pickups with armor shards, for Delta treasure system to feel right on these maps.
A_LDEMOVAC.png
Below are the links to edited wads:
Also worth noting v0.3 levels converted and packaged by Linguica and v0.2 recreation by MLGari. E.g. with the latter...
Spoiler:
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Post by Cornelius Vanderbilt »

JuliusKoolius wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:

I get these errors

How can I fix this?

Thanks
TheOldKingCole

How do I use Slade to make that change? I have no idea how to code or how to use Slade at all, so I have no idea what to do...
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

The official Slade website has wiki and faq. But be sure to visit Editing section for starting with the editor.
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Post by Cornelius Vanderbilt »

Alright, I found the way to delete code in Slade. However, as soon as I deleted that line of code, the same error popped up along with a new error. Also, when I was overlooking the code, the lines never truly reached 400 and stayed around 40. I went directly to the folder that had this issue too, so I’m not sure what’s happening. I’m sure I’m missing something but I don’t know what.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Can't bump you because i do too lack info with the modding, but i'm sure you can fix the issue if you look at the problem you've encountered carefully, and keep on fixing: it being written on the error message.
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
JuliusKoolius wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:

I get these errors

How can I fix this?

How do I use Slade to make that change? I have no idea how to code or how to use Slade at all, so I have no idea what to do...
I too had the same error with GZDoom versions 4.4.2, 4.5.0 and 4.6.0. Only version 4.2.4 works with Delta Doom 2.2.1. It may be a pain, but when getting such errors, the easiest way to get a mod to work is to use the exact same version of the executable that is specified by the mod author. New versions of GZDoom breaking older mods is par for the course, I'm afraid. I have a GZDoom 2.1.2 installed just so I can run LithiumHeat and DoomRogueLikeArsenal. At least you can copy the gzdoom-<username>.ini and autoexec.cfg from your existing GZDoom installation to the new version's folder.

I combined DeltaDoom with Doom The Way Id Did (dtwid.wad) for a true alternative universe version of my favorite game. I love the little instruction manual that was included, it is truly in the style of DOS shareware games of the day. Thank You Delta Doom All Staff!

I have question of my own: Didn't Hall's original Doom Bible postulate bullet holes (decals) for the walls? Normally I get those gratis in GZDoom and Zandronum, but Delta seems to turn them off?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”