[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

DrPyspy wrote:There's nowhere else to put this last bit of information, but Dimitri and Thi's accuracy values have been flipped around, and I'm currently testing how the changes play out. So far they work pretty well, so I'll probably keep it by the time the next test release rolls around.
I am grateful you listened to my suggestion! I hope it works as well in practice as it does on paper.

But more importantly, I am glad this mod is still being worked on! :D
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

Here's a preview of the new intermission screen using the power of ZScript!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Nice Scoring, pyspy!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Some work on the new menus...
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Have you changed the character selection screen so it pauses the game? That would be most useful in levels where you get immediately attacked by enemies at the start.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

It looks like the character select happens before the level starts, so it should be good.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Will the chaingunner be replaced by a machinegun zombie? If so, will it still appear (wielding the modified chaingun) sometimes, or will the chaingun become a pickup-only weapon?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Retraux Squid wrote:Will the chaingunner be replaced by a machinegun zombie? If so, will it still appear (wielding the modified chaingun) sometimes, or will the chaingun become a pickup-only weapon?
It will either be similar to the way MetaDoom handles its Former Lieutenant/Former Commando, or a different system I have in mind. I'm not sure if what I have in mind is possible yet, so I don't want to make any promises.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

This mod is really excellent, feels very authentic and seamless with the base game.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Have you changed the character selection screen so it pauses the game? That would be most useful in levels where you get immediately attacked by enemies at the start.
It's now a ZScript menu that pops up where the engine's player class select menu previously would, as I understand it.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

I think the best thing to do is a similar method to QUAKE/2

The SMG should be the early gained, decently accurate, decent ROF (not too less, not too much), 1 round use, pistol damage

The Chaingun should be the late gained, inaccurate, 2 round use, 8 (x2 Pistol Damage) Damage, also a very deadly fire rate.

Skelegant made some fantastic sprites a few months a go, that would be the best candidate for a base, inspiration, or quick use, even though IMO it should be a standard zombieman with a SMG, and maybe a fresh new haircut or something.

http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/co ... 78&Itemid=
patrik

Post by patrik »

Very nice and solid recreation of Alpha concepts and gameplay mechanics you got here, DrPyspy. :)
May I suggest you two suggestions to allow further personalization for players? Firstly, it would be nice to able to switch between current 0.5 and added 0.4 versions of rifle/bayonet. Secondly, would you mind adding in optionable 0.5 statusbar? (If I recall correctly somebody already recreated it in functional form for Zdoom, so it shouldnt be that difficult to implement.)

Anyways, keep up good work and thanks for taking my suggestions into consideration, ;)
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

XLightningStormL wrote:I think the best thing to do is a similar method to QUAKE/2

The SMG should be the early gained, decently accurate, decent ROF (not too less, not too much), 1 round use, pistol damage

The Chaingun should be the late gained, inaccurate, 2 round use, 8 (x2 Pistol Damage) Damage, also a very deadly fire rate.

Skelegant made some fantastic sprites a few months a go, that would be the best candidate for a base, inspiration, or quick use, even though IMO it should be a standard zombieman with a SMG, and maybe a fresh new haircut or something.
That is pretty similar to what I have currently, aside from the ammo usage. Not entirely sure what I'll do for the Machinegunner yet, but I'll keep this appearance in mind.
patrik wrote:Very nice and solid recreation of Alpha concepts and gameplay mechanics you got here, DrPyspy. :)
May I suggest you two suggestions to allow further personalization for players? Firstly, it would be nice to able to switch between current 0.5 and added 0.4 versions of rifle/bayonet. Secondly, would you mind adding in optionable 0.5 statusbar? (If I recall correctly somebody already recreated it in functional form for Zdoom, so it shouldnt be that difficult to implement.)

Anyways, keep up good work and thanks for taking my suggestions into consideration, ;)
There are currently no plans for weapon skins at this time, but I have been thinking about it. I'll probably save them for a later version, however.

In 1.0, the 0.5 HUD was planned (if you dig around the pk3 you can find some remnants) but cancelled due to the limitations of SBARINFO. However, with the conversion to ZScript, it has made things a lot easier to manage, including additional HUD options. I loved the look of the 0.5 status bar, so I'll try to get it in by this next release. :D
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

XLightningStormL wrote:I think the best thing to do is a similar method to QUAKE/2

http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/co ... 78&Itemid=
Personally I think that slapping a helmet onto the Skelegant machine gun guy would make the best former human machinegunner. A zombieman with an SMG would be difficult to discern at a glance (and impossible from the back) from a rifle-wielding zombie; additionally, given that chaingunners (and logically, machinegunners) have 70 HP, it would not make sense that one would randomly have nearly 4 times the HP of its rifle-wielding compatriots. The brown shirt of the Skelegant machinegunner is immediately identifiable from tan riflemen or slate gray shotgunners, and practically the only thing bad about its sprite is the rather strange-looking hair, which can be easily corrected by giving it a helmet (which also lets you immediately identify it- helmet + brown shirt = trouble).

Speaking of rifles, I know that this is a concern that id already fixed in the release versions of Doom, but the rifle is far too weak for its appearance. Giving it somewhat superior accuracy, a slightly-improved firing rate (perhaps 262.5 RPM, or an eight-tic refire instead of the stock 14-tic refire/150 RPM), and maybe a damage range of 8-24 instead of 5-15 would markedly improve the feel of the weapon- and avert the problem of it becoming literally pointless once you have absolutely any other weapon. Doing what was done in Doom64/PSX Doom and increasing the gunshot damage of former humans to a max of 24 would also make them slightly more dangerous as enemies instead of simply walking bullet clips.

All of these balance out to make a fun enough experience- I've applied them all to my personal install of Doom Delta and I think it's a good set of modifications.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Retraux Squid wrote: Personally I think that slapping a helmet onto the Skelegant machine gun guy would make the best former human machinegunner. A zombieman with an SMG would be difficult to discern at a glance (and impossible from the back) from a rifle-wielding zombie; additionally, given that chaingunners (and logically, machinegunners) have 70 HP, it would not make sense that one would randomly have nearly 4 times the HP of its rifle-wielding compatriots. The brown shirt of the Skelegant machinegunner is immediately identifiable from tan riflemen or slate gray shotgunners, and practically the only thing bad about its sprite is the rather strange-looking hair, which can be easily corrected by giving it a helmet (which also lets you immediately identify it- helmet + brown shirt = trouble).

Speaking of rifles, I know that this is a concern that id already fixed in the release versions of Doom, but the rifle is far too weak for its appearance. Giving it somewhat superior accuracy, a slightly-improved firing rate (perhaps 262.5 RPM, or an eight-tic refire instead of the stock 14-tic refire/150 RPM), and maybe a damage range of 8-24 instead of 5-15 would markedly improve the feel of the weapon- and avert the problem of it becoming literally pointless once you have absolutely any other weapon. Doing what was done in Doom64/PSX Doom and increasing the gunshot damage of former humans to a max of 24 would also make them slightly more dangerous as enemies instead of simply walking bullet clips.

All of these balance out to make a fun enough experience- I've applied them all to my personal install of Doom Delta and I think it's a good set of modifications.
What I had in mind was that the machinegunner would be closer to the former humans rather than the chaingunner, as the machine gun doesn't give off as much of a powerful vibe as the chaingun. As such, the machinegunner's health would be closer to the 20/25 range, and reflect the appearance of its brothers. The spawning plan goes like this: early on, there will only be machinegunners. As levels progress, pairs of machinegunners will be 'merged' into a single chaingunner if they meet certain qualifications (distance between them, etc.) This is still in the planning phase, as this has the potential for making late-game encounters way easier than they should be.

As for altering the damage values of the former humans, I'm not sure if I'll go in that direction. Many maps are designed with the default damage values in mind. Former humans are usually placed as fodder, and I fear if I buff them too much, it will mess up the balance and make many maps unfair. This is the main reason almost all the enemies are unaltered in terms of damage/health values (with the exception being that the lost soul is weaker because lost soul bad they make me big furious)

I have been considering changing the rifle's role to stand out more from the other two clip-based weapons, so I'll take your suggestions into consideration. :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”