[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Doom Delta v1.0 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by Captain J »

That retro VHC looking trailer... Very, VERY good choice! This kind of retrospective trailers are kinda rare to see these days.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

armymen12002003 wrote:Nice job with your first release but got a couple of questions are you going to do in game player sprites for each class? also maybe for the wolfenstein brown guard can you do where there is a choice to change between the ss, officer, or the brown guards?
Player sprites will probably come with multiplayer support. Not sure if I'll touch Wolfenstein stuff much, but I'll think about it.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:At last! Even though this mod still very much plays like vanilla Doom, it is a pretty cool thing to have. :)
Thanks! I aimed for a vanilla feel in terms of gameplay.
Captain J wrote:That retro VHC looking trailer... Very, VERY good choice! This kind of retrospective trailers are kinda rare to see these days.
It took a lot of tweaking to get it right, but I'm very happy with the result. :D
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Okie dokie lol but real good work on this
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

One thing I noticed - which I am not sure if it was intentional - is that by replacing Episode I's sky, you have addressed the vanilla inconsistency of Phobos having a clearly Earth landscape.

Also, is the Flying Imp included in this release? And have you considered replacing some of Doom and Doom II's reused tracks by the Bobby Prince unused music released by John Romero a few years ago? According to the latter, at least one of them (un17.mid) would have actually fit in the game.

EDIT #1: I am experiencing a major incompatibility issue with mapsets that use a custom MAPINFO file. For example, when playing, say, Hell To Pay with h2p_fix.wad, I get a black screen instead of the Player Class select screen. If I disable the Player Class system, then I can load the level properly - although I still get a black screen, thus making me essentially blind. I suppose I can still play without the patch wad, as it only fixes the level names in this case, but I am wondering if there is a way to make Doom Delta compatible with them, or vice versa.

EDIT #2: I am also a bit confused about Thi Barrett's stats. In the game's select screen, it says she excels at "long-range" (sic), yet according to this thread's OP, she works great in close quarters.
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Post by epiccolton26 »

Ooh, I'm liking what I've been playing with so far!

Only gripe I have with this mod, and this is really a nitpick (depending on what's considered a nitpick), is that there's a grey pixel on the shotgun sprite displayed on the helmet HUD, on the pump, when it should be blue since the rest of the sprite is blue. I quickly fixed it and re-imported it back into the mod, though. Other than that, this is a pretty good release version!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote: Also, is the Flying Imp included in this release? And have you considered replacing some of Doom and Doom II's reused tracks by the Bobby Prince unused music released by John Romero a few years ago? According to the latter, at least one of them (un17.mid) would have actually fit in the game.
My friend actually compiled a wad full of these, but I forgot to include them with the release! I'll ask him about it and put it up in the OP.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:EDIT #1: I am experiencing a major incompatibility issue with mapsets that use a custom MAPINFO file. For example, when playing, say, Hell To Pay with h2p_fix.wad, I get a black screen instead of the Player Class select screen. If I disable the Player Class system, then I can load the level properly - although I still get a black screen, thus making me essentially blind. I suppose I can still play without the patch wad, as it only fixes the level names in this case, but I am wondering if there is a way to make Doom Delta compatible with them, or vice versa.
I was able to load it up and play, with and without the MAPINFO. I'll try to look into it further with this mapset and others that use MAPINFO.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote: EDIT #2: I am also a bit confused about Thi Barrett's stats. In the game's select screen, it says she excels at "long-range" (sic), yet according to this thread's OP, she works great in close quarters.
Technically, it can go both ways. She has very high accuracy, so she can she kill enemies that are farther away. Additionally, since the spread of the shotguns will be lower, more pellets will connect, making the shotgun and SSG even more viable. I'll reword it better since it is pretty confusing.
epiccolton26 wrote:Only gripe I have with this mod, and this is really a nitpick (depending on what's considered a nitpick), is that there's a grey pixel on the shotgun sprite displayed on the helmet HUD, on the pump, when it should be blue since the rest of the sprite is blue. I quickly fixed it and re-imported it back into the mod, though. Other than that, this is a pretty good release version!
Whoops. Not sure how I missed that. Thanks!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

DrPyspy wrote:I was able to load it up and play, with and without the MAPINFO. I'll try to look into it further with this mapset and others that use MAPINFO.
I just realise I gave you the wrong link. I believe this is where I got the patch wads. The archive comes with a PWAD subfolder that contains fixed MAPINFO files for several megawads.

The odd thing is, if I play without a wad with a fixed MAPINFO, it works fine, but the game will use vanilla Doom II level names; if I play with it, however, I just get a black screen.

I have the same problem with two other megawads fixed by NightFright: The Darkening 2 and Perdition's Gate.

EDIT: However, The Rebirth seems to be working fine.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote: I just realise I gave you the wrong link. I believe this is where I got the patch wads. The archive comes with a PWAD subfolder that contains fixed MAPINFO files for several megawads.

The odd thing is, if I play without a wad with a fixed MAPINFO, it works fine, but the game will use vanilla Doom II level names; if I play with it, however, I just get a black screen.

I have the same problem with two other megawads fixed by NightFright: The Darkening 2 and Perdition's Gate.

EDIT: However, The Rebirth seems to be working fine.
I was able to diagnose the problem relating to the Hell To Pay patch. h2p_fix.wad does not define clusters for the maps, which doesn't seem to inherently cause any problems. However, due to some outdated code in my ACS file that checked for a clusternum above 0 (default is 0), the character select screen would terminate itself, leading to nothing showing up. Originally this was to prevent the screen from showing up on the menu, but it was made obsolete. This will be fixed in the next release.
Sigma56

Post by Sigma56 »

Made an account just to say how much I like this! It's a really cool idea and it's executed really well, hope to see more compatibility and support for other mods.
Negostrike
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Negostrike »

Loving the mod. Would like to see more character art somehow, maybe cutscenes after completing each episode? They look very charismatic. Maybe a cartoon series! :D
Anyway, good job!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Congrats on this release Doc! I'm going to download it tomorrow.

I think you're the first to escape from the Alpha mods curse. Hahahahaha

Fucking cool trailer, btw. :)
Lime

Post by Lime »

I've been waiting a long time for this! YUUUUS!
- Also 11/10 for VHS-styled Trailers. I luv VHS in the past times.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Hey, sweet! I'm gonna download it and give it a go right now!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am not a fan of the Player Class selection screen leaving vulnerable to enemy attacks. While it is not a problem in maps that has you start in an area devoid of monsters, it does become one in maps where you get immediately attacked or when you have to restart after getting killed.

Also, I would suggest you use Perkistan's sprites or something similar to fix the Super Shotgun reload animation, which gets cut off on widescreen resolution.

EDIT #1: Speaking of the Super Shotgun, I noticed it now has a massive spread - at least, with Thi. I thought she was supposed to be very accurate!

EDIT #2: Not sure if it has been brought up before, but since John is black, should his arms not have a different skin colour?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Sigma56 wrote:Made an account just to say how much I like this! It's a really cool idea and it's executed really well, hope to see more compatibility and support for other mods.
Thanks! What mods do you have in mind?
Negrostrike wrote:Loving the mod. Would like to see more character art somehow, maybe cutscenes after completing each episode? They look very charismatic. Maybe a cartoon series! :D
Anyway, good job!
I've been trying to figure out how to fit an opening cinematic. As for cutscenes, I'm not sure how they could fit into mapsets that have different settings/stories, although I'd be interested in implementing cutscenes in a hypothetical Doom Delta mapset. Either way, I'll be making more art of the characters for sure!
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I am not a fan of the Player Class selection screen leaving vulnerable to enemy attacks. While it is not a problem in maps that has you start in an area devoid of monsters, it does become one in maps where you get immediately attacked or when you have to restart after getting killed.
Unfortunately I don't think this can be helped at this point in time. I could make the player invulnerable to attacks while they're in the screen, however.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote: Also, I would suggest you use Perkistan's sprites or something similar to fix the Super Shotgun reload animation, which gets cut off on widescreen resolution.
Oops, didn't know they got cut off. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote: EDIT #1: Speaking of the Super Shotgun, I noticed it now has a massive spread - at least, with Thi. I thought she was supposed to be very accurate!
I was curious as to see what was causing it, and it turns out the code that was supposed to make her more accurate was actually making her less accurate. I will reword Thi's summary in the CSS and OP to reflect this.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote: EDIT #2: Not sure if it has been brought up before, but since John is black, should his arms not have a different skin colour?
I knew something was missing! I'll get working on it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”