[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by DrPyspy »

FaggoStorm wrote:Wait, will I be able to use this mod in custom maps? Will this mod work on Doom 2?
The mod will be compatible with any map that was intended for play with normal vanilla Doom. Maps that rely on the TID system will not function as intended. The mod currently works with Doom 2, and I plan it to keep it that way.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

So basically any mapset that doesn't change vanilla actors? So the standard four IWADs for Doom at least? And any custom mapset that is just maps.

Also, loving that thunder/lightning effect from the video.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Nevander wrote:So basically any mapset that doesn't change vanilla actors? So the standard four IWADs for Doom at least? And any custom mapset that is just maps.
Yes. For example, Doom the Way iD Did would work, but Knee Deep in ZDoom would not work. Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom will all work.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Out of interest, how did you replace the Exit triggers with a script?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Kinsie wrote:Out of interest, how did you replace the Exit triggers with a script?
First, I created a file named "xlattest.txt" (you can name it whatever you want). Then, I studied the ZDoom Wiki and the xlat translator file located in the zdoom pk3 to find the action specials for exits. (hint: all the ones I could find are listed below) Upon finding them, I made it so that all exit specials called a script using ACS_Execute (which is identified by the '80') instead of exiting the level right away. Here is the file I made:

Code: Select all

include "xlat/doom_base.txt"
//EXITS
11 = USE,		80 (1,0,0);
52 = WALK,		80 (1,0,0);
51 = USE,		80 (1,0,1);
124 = WALK,		80 (1,0,1);
197 = SHOOT,		80 (1,0,0);
198 = SHOOT,		80 (1,0,1);
After that, I added the Translator property to my GameInfo:

GameInfo
{
	DimColor = "00 00 00"
	DimAmount = 0.5
	PlayerClasses = "BetaPlayer"
	translator = "xlattest.txt"
	intermissionmusic = "D_INTER"
}
Finally, I made a script that called my custom intermission screen sequence. The intermission screen is a complicated mixture of SBARINFO and ACS, so I'll just post the 'kickstarter' script. The SetActivator is a workaround for bosses triggering the end action instead of the player.

script 1 (int secret)
{
	SetActivator(9001);
	ACS_NamedExecuteAlways("EndScreen",0,secret);
}
To prevent the original intermission screen from showing up, I actually had to copy the MAPINFOs directly from the zdoom pk3 and disable all the intermissions. Luckily, I only had to add a defaultmap with the nointermission property, so it isn't as messy.

In order to get the custom intermission screen to show up after boss deaths, I had to replace the death actions of the bosses in MAPINFO. I wish there was a less hacky way to do this, but it works.

map E2M8 lookup "HUSTR_E2M8"
{
	levelnum = 18
	titlepatch = "WILV17"
	next = "EndGame2"
	secretnext = "E2M9"
	sky1 = "SKY2"
	cluster = 2
	par = 30
	nointermission
	nosoundclipping
	//cyberdemonspecial
	//specialaction_exitlevel
	SpecialAction = "Cyberdemon", "ACS_ExecuteAlways", 1, 0, 0
	music = "$MUSIC_E2M8"
}
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Aha! That's very clever. Hopefully more people can get some use out of this trick. :)
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

This looks interesting i always liked the alpha and beta stuff with the scoring system would love to try this when its completed
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but, Ravage made some awesome works into the beta SSG. You could talk to him about it to include on further updates. I am anxious for the release. :)
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

GAA1992 wrote:Sorry if this has been talked about before, but, Ravage made some awesome works into the beta SSG. You could talk to him about it to include on further updates. I am anxious for the release. :)
The mod currently has the Beta SSG already implemented, thanks for the information though.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

I recorded a video showcasing the current state of the Unmaker and the Dark Claw. But first, I'd like to talk about some things;

The first thing you'll see in the video is a character select screen featuring the four playable characters from the Doom Bible. This is a new feature that allows for four different ways to experience the mod. Each character has different advantages and disadvantages interpreted from the Doom Bible. You can either choose from one of these classes, OR disable classes altogether in the options menu, which will allow you to play as the normal Doom marine with no modifications made to his health or speed. The classes will be enabled by default, but again, they can be easily disabled in the options menu if you don't want to play with them.

Here is the Dark Claw. Based off the pickup sprite seen in the various Doom alpha versions, the design of the Dark Claw is a big old red demon claw that fires soul-charged projectiles from its palm. This can be seen in the video below. It runs on human souls, which can be collected by killing former humans. It is not a good idea to use this weapon against former humans, because it is not as effective on humans as it is on demons.

Here is the Unmaker. The design is inpsired by the description in the Doom Bible, and the Unmaker seen on Realm667. It's behavior is based off of the weapon of the same name in Doom 64. The weapon starts off a bit weak, but can be upgraded to it's full power, which will be seen in the video. This weapon also runs on human souls, and is also less effective on former humans. And now, the video:

As you can see, the Dark Claw and the Unmaker are pretty powerful. However, I fear that they are too powerful, and that they feel and look too weak for the power they possess. The Unmaker and the Dark Claw will continue to go through some testing and revision so that the weapons are both balanced and satisfactory to use.
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

Looks awsome!
PhAyzoN

Post by PhAyzoN »

I've always loved the alpha/beta stuff. This looks promising!

A few years ago I gobbed together a bunch of things from alpha, but ended up not having the time to flesh it out further. If any of this is useful for your project, feel free to include it!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-YOX ... mtfTTd6WkU
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

FaggoStorm wrote:Looks awsome!
Thanks1
PhAyzoN wrote:I've always loved the alpha/beta stuff. This looks promising!

A few years ago I gobbed together a bunch of things from alpha, but ended up not having the time to flesh it out further. If any of this is useful for your project, feel free to include it!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-YOX ... mtfTTd6WkU
Looking through it now, thanks for the help!
Aylah_Stimson

Post by Aylah_Stimson »

What about Buddy Dacote?
Stachekip

Post by Stachekip »

Aylah_Stimson wrote:What about Buddy Dacote?
We've renamed him Buddy Dacomd for the mod. He won't be playable though, he's gonna die at conclusion of mod development.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”