D4D - Announcement in 1st post (Jan 4th 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Major Cooke » Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Right now we're just focusing solely on the weapons. We plan on expanding from there, but that doesn't mean we're including EVERYTHING from Doom 4.
User avatar
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Doom 3 Doesnt Suck » Tue May 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Right now we're just focusing solely on the weapons. We plan on expanding from there, but that doesn't mean we're including EVERYTHING from Doom 4.


Do you think there is any possibility of including something like this in the mod?



edit: Doom needs more Doomguy. Y'all should try to make this Doomier than Doom 4.
Last edited by Doom 3 Doesnt Suck on Tue May 31, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck
 
Joined: 29 May 2016

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Major Cooke » Tue May 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Kotaku has manners. ;)
User avatar
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Doomguy141 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:36 am

This is really well done I must say. After the weapons are done what are the future plans or will it just be weapons.

also would you be changing the gore system ? Or leaving it as it is. I bet you already have gotten requests for BD compatibility versions. Seems to the the norm these days. But I think this mod is gonna be awesome a utter must download for when its finished.
User avatar
Doomguy141
 
Joined: 25 Mar 2015

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:26 pm

You have the wrong thread. This isn't Brutal Doom.
User avatar
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Almonds » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:33 pm

He wasn't actually asking for Brutal Doom compatibility, just wondering if you've ever gotten any questions regarding patches for your mod to be used alongside it.
User avatar
Almonds
freelance street lamppost
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Location: yes!!!

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Doomguy141 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Yea I was just wondering if that was the case or you just keeping it to weapons and demons ? I saw some extra gore in the videos, just not sure.
User avatar
Doomguy141
 
Joined: 25 Mar 2015

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Yes, we have. I just say no to them.
User avatar
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby TheDoomctator » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:13 pm

The hype...It's real SEND HELP!!
Also will it have glory kills? May sound like a pain in the ass but will they happen?
User avatar
TheDoomctator
Still waiting for some TNO guns in doom...
 
Joined: 13 May 2016
Location: Stereotype Land,Well that's Brazil of Course

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Doom 3 Doesnt Suck » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:29 pm

TheDoomctator wrote:The hype...It's real SEND HELP!!
Also will it have glory kills? May sound like a pain in the ass but will they happen?


Not to take anything away from this project, but Brutal Doom already includes glory kills. And Sgt Mark IV is working on his own version of this, too.

However, unless SM IV is secretly adding code to this mod (and stealing code at the same time), I'm guessing they will end up being a little different.

I'm just going to wait and see which team can produce the best mod. I kinda like Brutal Doom, but there are a number of gameplay issues with it that make it a little bit less fun than it should be (the lack of automatic weapon switching is really high on my list of gripes; I mean, who really wants to hear their gun clicking when it runs out of ammo instead of just whipping out another gun?). There's also another team that's using high quality "rips" from Doom 4 to make weapons for Doom.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck
 
Joined: 29 May 2016

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:15 pm

I don't know if that's something we'll focus on necessarily. We have our own plans for behavior enhancements. I mean big time enhancements. We might go in a completely different route and tell the glory kills to take a flying fucking leap. Because:

Doom 3 Doesnt Suck wrote:Brutal Doom already includes glory kills. And Sgt Mark IV is working on his own version of this, too.


So basically I'd rather introduce a whole new mechanic that makes the monsters and weapons both feel fresh, and make the glory kills potentially needless by this... unplanned and unnamed idea of something that can replace it and be considered a worthy substitute.

I for one didn't really enjoy the glory kills. I only took them when I really, really had to (cyberdemon and spider mastermind).
But who am I but a dev with an opinion? It'll be down to DBThanatos in the end, yet he will now know where I stand on glory kills. Against them.
Also, like stated a couple pages back, it gives people less ammunition to compare us with brutal doom, because I don't want people getting the wrong idea about comparing these two mods together.
User avatar
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby RikohZX » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:24 pm

The Glory Kill system fits Doom 4's more arena-focused design, especially when paired with Runes that compliments it. It's fast, snappy, and can be even faster while granting you a moment of relief from the enemy onslaught. But unless you change the maps and enemies for it entirely (which is beyond the intended scope of them mod right now given the weapon focus), it doesn't work for old Doom. There's already plenty of health and armor and ammo around the maps usually, and while it's plausible, given that someone already got a basic punching glory kill system working, getting gory animations to work in-depth with special first person circumstances would probably be a huge pain to sync up and animate properly.
User avatar
RikohZX
 
Joined: 04 Sep 2012

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Doomguy5th » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Not trying to be rude or anything, but did you guys rip out the sounds from the game itself or did you guys do recordings in-game? Those sounds used in the mod sounds like game rips tbh.
User avatar
Doomguy5th
 
Joined: 23 Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere you shouldn't be

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:36 pm

RikohZX wrote:getting gory animations to work in-depth with special first person circumstances would probably be a huge pain to sync up and animate properly.

QFT. Seriously, on one of my other mod projects, the player performs a ton of animations based on different events happening. MAN does it suck to deal with.

Doomguy5th wrote:Not trying to be rude or anything, but did you guys rip out the sounds from the game itself or did you guys do recordings in-game? Those sounds used in the mod sounds like game rips tbh.

Oh do please provide us with better quality ones! By all means! We will HAPPILY replace our own. That's not snarkasm either, that's truth. Because fuck the file system extracted from doom, honestly. Ugh.
Last edited by Major Cooke on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Rocket Launcher prev pg5

Postby Doom 3 Doesnt Suck » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:43 pm

RikohZX wrote:The Glory Kill system fits Doom 4's more arena-focused design, especially when paired with Runes that compliments it. It's fast, snappy, and can be even faster while granting you a moment of relief from the enemy onslaught. But unless you change the maps and enemies for it entirely (which is beyond the intended scope of them mod right now given the weapon focus), it doesn't work for old Doom. There's already plenty of health and armor and ammo around the maps usually, and while it's plausible, given that someone already got a basic punching glory kill system working, getting gory animations to work in-depth with special first person circumstances would probably be a huge pain to sync up and animate properly.


Y'know... if they really wanted to make this different from Brutal Doom, they could make a mod that had the Doom 4 weapons, first person glory kills, and added some stuff from hdoom, and maybe added some impse.
Last edited by wildweasel on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link to Doomwiki.org instead! Do not use the old wiki! It's all there in the rules and everything =/
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck
 
Joined: 29 May 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests