D4D - Announcement in 1st post (Jan 4th 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - Wep Preview Pg3

Post by skyrish10 »

DBThanatos wrote:
Doomguy5th wrote:Always looking forward to your projects DBT! This one looks outstanding IMHO!
Thank you very much to everyone for the support. It motivates me more to do better than my best

So here's another preview of another two weapons.
What's with the tiny zombieman, shotgun guy and the marine in the video? are they placeholders?
iSpook

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - New Wep Preview Pg4

Post by iSpook »

Yep. They're place holders.
curbdog

Post by curbdog »

What differentiates this from Zion?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

curbdog wrote:What differentiates this from Zion?
This one has better sprites. Also, upgrades for all weapons. Maybe even more, someday, like better projectiles and such.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Heh. This is trending on my facebook feed...

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Doom/807209412637299
Uninstall

Post by Uninstall »

Lud wrote:This one has better sprites
Sorry, but those sprites look like they do not belong to the game. The weapons are also different from the Doom 4 title.

I must say that DBThantos is making an extremly passionate job here and the details are perfect, like classic brown gloves. How can you not love them?! :wub:
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

This is really looking like something special. Can't wait for the results.

Will the sprites be unpaletted PNGs? It would be really nice as popular megawads are starting to use custom palettes more often.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck

Post by Doom 3 Doesnt Suck »

blackfish wrote:This is really looking like something special. Can't wait for the results.

Will the sprites be unpaletted PNGs? It would be really nice as popular megawads are starting to use custom palettes more often.
I'm new. Yes. That's all I'm going to say about that, but I've been a Doom fan since '94. The shareware levels will always have a special place in my heart. Enough about that, though.

I think it would also be nice if the weapon sprites were unpaletted PNGS. This might be considered heresy, but I like playing with the Hunter's Moon mod (and DHTP) when playing a lot of Doom 1/2 maps, and Freedoom maps, and other maps that show up. I know it got a lot of hate when Doom 3 was first released, but I like the monsters in that game a teensy bit more than the originals... however, since that is not what this project is about, I'd like to comment on something else instead. Hunter's Moon seems to use weapons that function in wads that have custom palettes without f'ing up the color scheme, of the game itself, or the general gameplay, aside from the obvious changes; it would be nice if it were possible to have a Doom 4 weapon set that could function the same way.

Perhaps someday we'll have 3D models of Doom 4 enemies, but to be honest, for the moment, I'd be happy with just having a functional set of Doom 4 weapons. The ones in HM were swiped from some version of Quake, and while the monsters are cool, it just isn't the same without Doom weapons. And I'll admit that the excessive reloading of Doom 3 weapons kinda sucked. I hope I don't get banned for saying this, but for the time being, I think it would be kinda cool to have a mod with Doom 4 weapons, the Doom 3 monsters from Hunter's Moon (minus the ones that are too big to fit in some rooms; if I had the ability, I'd just replace the too big guys with the original cyberdemons and such), and the ability to play just about any wad with that mod.

I love what you guys have done so far, and I hope that this becomes the most successful Doom 4 mod.

P.S. Please make it widescreen friendly. Doomero did a good job with it at the time, but his Doom 3 project wasn't WS friendly. And that is literally the only complaint I have about that.

P.P.S. Thanks for making a version of Doom 4 that I can actually play on my old computer.
BenPlaysGames

Post by BenPlaysGames »

Awesome work!!!

Any chance someone involved might do a youtube video on how they do the art work??? or point me in the direction of where I might learn from another source?
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

MJ79 wrote:I'm surprised they didn't check out Zion which was out way before the actual game was released. Or even Dumb 4.
The first article that was out, from Kotaku, actually mentioned Zion too.
DarkQuill wrote:Awesome stuff, looking forward to the release!

If I may ask, what's your process for extracting the sound files? I've looked around a bit but others have only managed to rip music files.
Thanks! The sounds I've been ripping them manually, recording the sounds in game. Because indeed, i was able to extract the sounds from Doom4, but every sound is built of a zillion other sounds and they are all separate, and worse, the extraction method I found got me files with generic names and no structure, meaning, I had to dig in over 6k sound clips to find the exact ones and piece them togethere. That was a pain. So I just ripped them straight out of in-game.

skyrish10 wrote:What's with the tiny zombieman, shotgun guy and the marine in the video? are they placeholders?
Like iSpook mentioned, indeed, placeholders
AFADoomer wrote:Heh. This is trending on my facebook feed...
Whoa, it's appearing in several places. I was notified today that it also appears in the DOOM(4) steam news. That's amazing if you ask me. I did not expect this to get this big. Somehow the teaser video reached 137k views :shock:

Uninstall wrote:I must say that DBThantos is making an extremly passionate job here and the details are perfect, like classic brown gloves. How can you not love them?! :wub:
Well, to be fair, we're putting a lot of work in this to make it as neat as possible. However, Neccronixis is the one who made all the graphics, so kudos to him
blackfish wrote:This is really looking like something special. Can't wait for the results.

Thank you! And indeed, the sprites are 32bit PNG to use also the alpha channel. In fact the muzzleflashes in the video, are already using this :D

Doom 3 Doesnt Suck wrote: I think it would also be nice if the weapon sprites were unpaletted PNGS. This might be considered heresy, but I like playing with the Hunter's Moon mod (and DHTP) when playing a lot of Doom 1/2 maps, and Freedoom maps, and other maps that show up. I know it got a lot of hate when Doom 3 was first released, but I like the monsters in that game a teensy bit more than the originals... however, since that is not what this project is about, I'd like to comment on something else instead. Hunter's Moon seems to use weapons that function in wads that have custom palettes without f'ing up the color scheme, of the game itself, or the general gameplay, aside from the obvious changes; it would be nice if it were possible to have a Doom 4 weapon set that could function the same way.

Perhaps someday we'll have 3D models of Doom 4 enemies, but to be honest, for the moment, I'd be happy with just having a functional set of Doom 4 weapons. The ones in HM were swiped from some version of Quake, and while the monsters are cool, it just isn't the same without Doom weapons. And I'll admit that the excessive reloading of Doom 3 weapons kinda sucked. I hope I don't get banned for saying this, but for the time being, I think it would be kinda cool to have a mod with Doom 4 weapons, the Doom 3 monsters from Hunter's Moon (minus the ones that are too big to fit in some rooms; if I had the ability, I'd just replace the too big guys with the original cyberdemons and such), and the ability to play just about any wad with that mod.

I love what you guys have done so far, and I hope that this becomes the most successful Doom 4 mod.

P.S. Please make it widescreen friendly. Doomero did a good job with it at the time, but his Doom 3 project wasn't WS friendly. And that is literally the only complaint I have about that.

P.P.S. Thanks for making a version of Doom 4 that I can actually play on my old computer.
You wont get banned for saying that something about a game sucks ;)

Thanks for the kind comments. And yes, this is widescren friendly, at least in 16:9, but if you go with super wide, a couple weapons like the RL will show the chop :P
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck

You wont get banned for saying that something about a game sucks ;)

Thanks for the kind comments. And yes, this is widescren friendly, at least in 16:9, but if you go with super wide, a couple weapons like the RL will show the chop :P
Your welcome. I've been a very long time forum lurker, and I do occasionally sneak over to Doomworld to see if they have any interesting wads worth looking at. Dunno if that's against the rules, but this forum and that one seem to be the most active when it comes to making wads and mods. And Moddb, too, technically, for the stuff that might not be 100% legal (and I certainly don't meant that in the XXX-rated way)... it's how I found Hunter's Moon. And I found Freedoom on Doomworld, which still needs work, but the 10.1 release is actually quite polished and functional (it's missing a few maps, but the ones that do exist are, in some cases, better than the original Doom 1/2 maps, with the exception of Knee Deep in the Dead; it's still the best). ***

I look forward to seeing this weapon mod come to fruition.

I still think it's a little weird how Doom was released, then we had the Doom Comic Book, and then we had Brutal Doom, then Project Brutality, and then... Doom 4. I suspect that id Software is spying on us. At what point does it become IP theft? (I'm kidding) It would be interesting if Sgt Mark IV eventually took the finished Doom 4 weapons and used those in Brutal Doom v21. Would people complain about that?

*** Does anyone know of any quick and dirty way of taking Episode 1 from Ultimate Doom and putting it in Freedoom 1? I know this is an ethically questionable request, but it would make me happy.
Last edited by Doom 3 Doesnt Suck on Sun May 29, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Uninstall wrote:
Sorry, but those sprites look like they do not belong to the game. The weapons are also different from the Doom 4 title.

I must say that DBThantos is making an extremly passionate job here and the details are perfect, like classic brown gloves. How can you not love them?! :wub:
because are done before of doom4 release, now with the game, they will rip again the weapons and make more similar to the real d4 weapons. I think they will work later on the demons. Btw they showed me the new super shotgun sprites, now is HD and more cool and smooth.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck

DOOMERO-21 wrote:
Uninstall wrote:

because are done before of doom4 release, now with the game, they will rip again the weapons and make more similar to the real d4 weapons. I think they will work later on the demons. Btw they showed me the new super shotgun sprites, now is HD and more cool and smooth.
Slightly off topic, but I want to thank you for everything you have contributed to the Doom community. :wub:

My coding skills kinda suck, and the things you have done have impressed me. No homo.

I kinda hope everyone working on their individual Doom 4 to 2 projects can find it in themselves to help make one ultimate mod by working together. I'm not sure if there's still a "problem" with Doomworld, but maybe they can help, too. Supposedly there's also a Russian and Japanese Doom community, too.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

off topic: Thank you and good luck on your projects.

on topic: i like the fireball of the bfg.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

@DOOMERO: thanks but we have changed it :P for the better, definitely.

Here's another couple weapons

Return to “Gameplay Mods”