D4D - Announcement in 1st post (Jan 4th 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
enderkevin13

Re: DOOM(4) for DooM (D4D) - New Wep Preview Pg4

Post by enderkevin13 »

Is it gonna be relatively the same as before, or are there gonna be changes to the mechanics?
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah. It will mostly be the same. What was used there was placeholder sprites until I can find a way to grab the reticle huds from Doom.

And on that note... The RL was a total bitchfest to code so try not to judge it from having such alpha-ish effect placeholders. DBT did wonderful on the graphics and the effects. :P
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

this looks so gorgeous already, the shotguns have a kick to them I haven't seen much around, dare I say so myself.

just a tip, though: secondary fires are supposed to engage the mod's alt fire effect (pressing M2), but then the player has to engage normal fire to shoot the special attack. It's never a one trigger pull kinda thing. Even doubles as a safety catch, if you will. Not accounting for the fact that it's probably already implemented here considering it hasn't even been released as of yet, just something to keep in mind just in case. :)

Other than that, this looks so ace. Can't wait!
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck

Post by Doom 3 Doesnt Suck »

Wow... I like everything about this version of D4 4 Doom. (I wonder if this will end up being more popular than Brutal Doom?)

I can't wait to play Knee Deep in the Dead with the Doom '16 weapons. :P

While I don't know if this has been done or not, but it would be nice if the weapons could auto-switch when they run out of ammo. That bugs me so much in mods like Project Brutality. I mean, Doom '16 has to have at least one weapon that won't blow up Doomguy if it switches to it automatically, right? Vanilla Doom 1/2 has this feature, in case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about. Having to manually pick the BFG and the rocket launcher won't be more of a hassle than what I've had to do for over two decades (yes, I use IDFA a lot when playing maps that are lacking in the ammo department, and I kinda don't like how Doom 2 auto-switches to the rocket launcher when it's picked up normally, and you run out of, say, bullets).

But... that's just my opinion.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Doom 3 Doesnt Suck wrote:I wonder if this will end up being more popular than Brutal Doom?
Sadly, Mark's working on a version of Brutal Doom that uses these weapons, so no.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Almonds wrote:this looks so gorgeous already, the shotguns have a kick to them I haven't seen much around, dare I say so myself.

just a tip, though: secondary fires are supposed to engage the mod's alt fire effect (pressing M2), but then the player has to engage normal fire to shoot the special attack. It's never a one trigger pull kinda thing. Even doubles as a safety catch, if you will. Not accounting for the fact that it's probably already implemented here considering it hasn't even been released as of yet, just something to keep in mind just in case. :)

Other than that, this looks so ace. Can't wait!
If you mean the RL, I already programmed it to be like that. He was holding down the secondary the entire time. So worry not, you're in good hands. ;)
Trust me. We're working to replicate these weapons VERY closely to Doom 16's.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck wrote:Wow... I like everything about this version of D4 4 Doom. (I wonder if this will end up being more popular than Brutal Doom?)

I can't wait to play Knee Deep in the Dead with the Doom '16 weapons. :P

While I don't know if this has been done or not, but it would be nice if the weapons could auto-switch when they run out of ammo. That bugs me so much in mods like Project Brutality. I mean, Doom '16 has to have at least one weapon that won't blow up Doomguy if it switches to it automatically, right? Vanilla Doom 1/2 has this feature, in case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about. Having to manually pick the BFG and the rocket launcher won't be more of a hassle than what I've had to do for over two decades (yes, I use IDFA a lot when playing maps that are lacking in the ammo department, and I kinda don't like how Doom 2 auto-switches to the rocket launcher when it's picked up normally, and you run out of, say, bullets).

But... that's just my opinion.
Hah... Well, whether that does or not remains to be seen but Brutal Doom's fanbase I'm tempted to compare to Undertale's, in terms of size (aka MASSIVE). So I don't hold much hopes in those regards, especially since it's been around for so long and has even its own cacoward.

As for the auto weapon switch, yeah, it should have it. We're auto-switching junkies over here.

There is indeed going to be a weapons only version of D4D for all of you who just want to stick to it and vanilla monsters to your heart's content. The only things to watch out for, is the stun bomb won't work on custom monsters, but I have a plan to get around that. It won't take much.

I alone am planning a third addon. Whether the other two devs join me on it remains to be seen, and it's far from time to even begin thinking about how to execute it until after D4D's been released. I can reveal this many details to you:
Spoiler: Details
More information will become available when I have media to show for it. I don't want to spoil too much right now, but it will require D4D.
enderkevin13 wrote:Sadly, Mark's working on a version of Brutal Doom that uses these weapons, so no.
You never know what the future holds in store. I don't hold hopes for such things myself, but...

I guess it all comes down to if we treat this like a competition. I for one am not going to, there's just no point. The quality of the weaponry, at the end of the day, is judged by the end user. So what's there to compete against? I simply view Brutal Doom as one fruit, while D4D is an entirely different one. Unless they use almost all of the same thing, I can hardly justify comparing the mods together in terms of who does it better.

Brutal doom, in my mind, is about the number of different ways to kill monsters. Less emphasis on the weapons, even though nice, and more on how many ways can demons lose their limbs in as much of a cathartic way as possible.
D4D on the other hand is more focused on the weapons (at the moment). As DBThanatos said, we're not gunning for Brutal Doom's kind of bloodiness, but we will have our own thing of gratuitous violence.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck

enderkevin13 wrote:
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck wrote:I wonder if this will end up being more popular than Brutal Doom?
Sadly, Mark's working on a version of Brutal Doom that uses these weapons, so no.
I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised by this, considering how a good number of reviews of Doom '16 actually suggested that BD was a partial inspiration for some of the new Doom gameplay. It's getting weirdly meta, though.

If V21 replaces the old "glory kills" with the ones from Doom '16, and we get a set of maps that try to emulate the new Doom ones, welp...
enderkevin13 wrote:Considering his fanbase, I'd give this mod about 2 days of glory and fame after his version comes out. People might even start calling this a ripoff.
I kinda remember one point in time where some people called BD a partial ripoff of Beautiful Doom. Those two projects seem to be going in different directions nowadays, so I'll just leave it at that.
Major Cooke wrote:D4D on the other hand is more focused on the weapons (at the moment). As DBThanatos said, we're not gunning for Brutal Doom's kind of bloodiness, but we will have our own thing of gratuitous violence.
If there is going to be gore/blood, please include some sort of "janitor" scripting, like in BD or Hunter's Moon. My computer doesn't mind initially spawning all that stuff, but it freaks out when there are 3,000 blood splats and bullet casings lying around for a long time, which could be the case in some megawads, like, say, Going Down. (My apologies if I seem to be overly demanding despite being a zdoom forum newbie. I'm probably not the only one thinking about some of these things, though.)
Last edited by Doom 3 Doesnt Suck on Mon May 30, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Major Cooke wrote:
enderkevin13 wrote:Sadly, Mark's working on a version of Brutal Doom that uses these weapons, so no.
You never know what the future holds in store.
Considering his fanbase, I'd give this mod about 2 days of glory and fame after his version comes out. People might even start calling this a ripoff.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

enderkevin13 wrote:Considering his fanbase, I'd give this mod about 2 days of glory and fame after his version comes out. People might even start calling this a ripoff.
I don't care what his fanbase thinks of our mod. I'll never treat it as a competition, because there is no point to it. Like mentioned, Brutal Doom is one kind of fruit while D4D is another. Don't compare apples to oranges so hastily now. See my previous post for an explanation.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Hilarious how that works. Bitches on 4chan about how Doom 4 stole from him with no reference or compensation despite his penchant for stealing content from others with limited to no credit, and now he's accommodating it back into his mod.
Odds are it'll still have the infamous trend of Brutal Doom's very.. troublesome code, though, since I can probably assume he'll build the new content ontop of the old rather than reworking things, so mods like this will still probably be cleaner and more desirable for non-Brutal play. As it is, i'll shut up about Brutal in this context now.
The only things to watch out for, is the stun bomb won't work on custom monsters, but I have a plan to get around that. It won't take much.
I may not know much in-depth, but would this involve essentially hitting rapidly for pain chance without actually doing outright damage so that an enemy is temporarily stunned, custom or vanilla?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

RikohZX wrote:Hilarious how that works. Bitches on 4chan about how Doom 4 stole from him with no reference or compensation despite his penchant for stealing content from others with limited to no credit, and now he's accommodating it back into his mod.
Odds are it'll still have the infamous trend of Brutal Doom's very.. troublesome code, though, since I can probably assume he'll build the new content ontop of the old rather than reworking things, so mods like this will still probably be cleaner and more desirable for non-Brutal play. As it is, i'll shut up about Brutal in this context now.
And people are also not mentioning Big Effing Guns too. What about all the hard work he's putting in? Seems good so far, even if quite a bit of code was borrowed.

At any rate, people who are coming here in the hopes to see competition or trying to find out whose stroking the bigger e-boner, get disappointed. You're here for the wrong reasons. We are doing this as our own little contribution to id for making such a fantastic game because we can, we will, and we want to. Look at DBThanatos' DoomStorm and Q4LFE mods. Just did them entirely out of the blue because he could.

Aside from bringing Doom 4 to Doom so people with nostalgic desires can play with Doom 4's weapons, we don't even HAVE a reason for doing this.

It's just that much fun. :mrgreen:
RikohZX wrote:I may not know much in-depth, but would this involve essentially hitting rapidly for pain chance without actually doing outright damage so that an enemy is temporarily stunned, custom or vanilla?
ForcePain flag works wonders.
Last edited by Major Cooke on Mon May 30, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck

RikohZX wrote:Hilarious how that works. Bitches on 4chan about how Doom 4 stole from him with no reference or compensation despite his penchant for stealing content from others with limited to no credit, and now he's accommodating it back into his mod.
Maybe you guys will get lucky and Sgt Mark IV will steal the code from this mod and you won't have to compete with BD at all.

:roll:
Major Cooke wrote:And people are also not mentioning Big Effing Guns too. What about all the hard work he's putting in? Seems good so far, even if quite a bit of code was borrowed.

At any rate, people who are coming here in the hopes to see competition or trying to find out whose stroking the bigger e-boner, get disappointed. You're here for the wrong reasons. We are doing this as our own little contribution to id for making such a fantastic game because we can, we will, and we want to. Look at DBThanatos' DoomStorm and Q4LFE mods. Just did them entirely out of the blue because he could.

Aside from bringing Doom 4 to Doom so people with nostalgic desires can play with Doom 4's weapons, we don't even HAVE a reason for doing this.

It's just that much fun. :mrgreen:

I actually think that it's kinda cool, just in general, that you guys are essentially putting one of the best parts of Doom 4 into Doom. I could try to lie, but I think the weapons in Doom could probably benefit from an upgrade. (The ones in Doom 3 actually felt a little bit like a downgrade, in comparison.)

I'm also pretty glad that Doom 4 was as good as it was. For a time I was afraid it might become a sort-of Doom Forever. I'm aware that Duke isn't spoken of much around these parts, but man, that game should never have been released.
Last edited by Doom 3 Doesnt Suck on Mon May 30, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I don't even care if he does that. So long as credit's given where credit's due.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

𝔸𝕟𝕪𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤, 𝕀 𝕙𝕠𝕡𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕕𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕤𝕠𝕠𝕟. 𝕀𝕥 𝕝𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕤 𝕘𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Trying to read that font gave me a scare. I thought I was losing my vision for a moment.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”