Lowtech Remake (Updated 22/02/17)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 28)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Deii wrote:Sorry for the late reply - busy week back at the office.

Yeah, I think it might just be my craptop. Been meaning to get a better comp for a while but money's just tight, you know?
Our economical crisis is taking us down, right? If i had to tell you my PC settings you wouldn't believe me. :D
Just to give you a sample, i have a Celeron R, a CRT monitor and an old Scopus keyboard.
erni945 wrote:I tried your mod and it is cool but I have a question , if you are planning to add support for Hexen ?
Hmmm, i really haven't thought about Hexen, but something came to my head now: I think each class can only hold up to 4 weapons, and the game has 10(including fists). I don't know if there would be a way to do it without spawning two things at once...
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 31)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Game updated boys!

Changelog

31/07
- Changed tnt throw sounds.
- Corrected single tnt bounce sound.
- secretly corrected a sniper bug on last patch.
- swapped flamethrower for the aracnocide one, and the alternate fire consumes double fuel, however it works like a molotov. I can change it back if necessary.
- other stuff i forgot.

Download link on first page!
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

anyone have some monster randomizer that is good with this mod? (SORRY MY ENGLISH IS BAD)
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Miguel371xd wrote:anyone have some monster randomizer that is good with this mod? (SORRY MY ENGLISH IS BAD)
Colorful Hell is a must have :D
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

GAA1992 wrote:Hmmm, i really haven't thought about Hexen, but something came to my head now: I think each class can only hold up to 4 weapons, and the game has 10(including fists). I don't know if there would be a way to do it without spawning two things at once...
There are 6 weapon spots + 9 weapon piece locations in Hexen, two weapons + 3 piece spots per class. Of course, you can put "Player.Spawnclass Any" in your player definition to spawn things at every class-specific spot over the course of a game.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

LedIris wrote:
Miguel371xd wrote:anyone have some monster randomizer that is good with this mod? (SORRY MY ENGLISH IS BAD)
Colorful Hell is a must have :D
Second that. Even more with Back to Saturn X episodes.
Zhs2 wrote:
GAA1992 wrote:Hmmm, i really haven't thought about Hexen, but something came to my head now: I think each class can only hold up to 4 weapons, and the game has 10(including fists). I don't know if there would be a way to do it without spawning two things at once...
There are 6 weapon spots + 9 weapon piece locations in Hexen, two weapons + 3 piece spots per class. Of course, you can put "Player.Spawnclass Any" in your player definition to spawn things at every class-specific spot over the course of a game.
Hmmm, i could use some powerups places, then... I really like Hexen, although i haven't finished any campaign mode with any class. I can study some mods out to see where to place stuff. Then, the only thing missing would be Strife and Chex Quest. Multi compatibility! :lol:

Anyway, a minor update again, this time bringing:

1/08
- took out tnt alternate fire, it's a melee attack now, for the same panzerfaust reasons. No one was using it anyway.
- changed barrel explosions again! Metal slug explosions FTW!
- added terrain lumps, thanks a LOT to LedIris and his badass mod!
- added a new kick attack, removing only one left kick that was annoying as hell.
- few unused files were removed.
- something i forgot.
- Nerfed flamethrower altfire. Too overkill in my opinion.

Download link is up!
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated August, 1st)

Post by Zhs2 »

It's okay. NecroDoom broke in my Hexen virginity. My biggest problem with Hexen is that it hasn't any guns!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated August, 16)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

This ain't dead!

16/08
- Changed Kar98 inner scope sprites.
- Changed a little sound definition for cigarettes to avoid incompatibilities.
- Menu logotype blinks.
- Added Brightmaps. Directly from the Brightmaps.pk3
- Fixed terrain sounds that probably weren't playing.
- Changed the water splash sound for a cooler one.
- TNT Can now explode on water! (Thanks to LedIris!).

I still haven't worked on Hexen compatibiltes, but i can start it as soon as i get the rythym back from working on older things :)

Get ya last update at first page!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I feel like ammo in this mod is a little too scarce. Playing GD for example I get into a lot of situations where I end up being forced to rely on my fists which are very random and unreliable. What's especially bad are the zombiemen pistol ammo drops. I feel like they should give at least a quarter of a clip each.

I also don't like how splashing in water alerts enemies and every single bullet casing causes giant loud splashing despite their size.
The weapons overall do feel really good to use, though.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hmmmm... good you said that. I based myself only on Doom/Doom II, not really going so many custom maps. When the clip used to drop 5 bullets like it was before, i used to fill ammo easily, so i thought it needed some nerfing. Nobody complained, so i left that.

The player splashing is something i pretend to leave like it is, not to get on the "realism" too deep, but as a gameplay extra.

The casings really needed a +DONTSPLASH flag in there, i gotta fix that.

Also, i know how random the fists are. My thoughts are on leaving the fist weapon only on hands, and add a little hotkey (just like brutal doom's kick) giving a quick kick attack, to make it better. That would help on close quarters combat, leave fists something more solid, and add an extra to the game.

Probably the next update will cover some of that. I can't guarantee, but be sure the casings won't awake enemies on next fix ;)

Also, thanks you like the weapons! I do hope you enjoy the upcoming alternate weapon pack as well! :D
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

What if you implemented a sort of combo system like BD and Project Brutality where using fire and alt fire in specific sequences will allow you to consistently do the moves you want?
Maps that require you to blow up barrels in close quarters around corners are impossible as the barrels don't have explosion delays like other mods and vanilla does.
Lastly. as realistic as revving a chainsaw causing aggro is, I think there should be a way to pull out fists without pulling out the chainsaw first so you have the chance to use fists without alerting enemies. Of course this will be mitigated a bit by the quick melee system.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I always tell myself to add a little On/Off System on that damn chainsaw. :facepalm:

I've recently played a Blood TC to the Duke engine, and the barrels started a little fire before exploding... If i could narrow that... maybe i'll try a little way.

So, i'll note it down to remind me.

Thanks for the feedback! :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated August, 30)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

New update on this one too!!!!

Changelog:

- Added on/off system to the chainsaw, to avoid alerting monsters by mistake.
- Added quick kick key! You only can't kick while the chainsaw is on, or during the sniper scope mode.
- Improved Bullet puffs.
- Restored Clip original drops .
- Added smoke on kick puff.
- Added +DONTSPLASH to casings .
- Improved Explosions.
- New Sprites for chainsaw.
- New firing Sprites for flamethrower.
- Corrected Kar98K accuracy.
- removed alternate firing modes on panzerfaust and tnt.

Get it now! ;)
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

pls your link show me some lowtech pre-alfa from year 2005
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I like the ammo balance better now. When playing maps with tons of just zombie men I always have too much ammo but once any other monster gets into the mix or I get the Tommy Gun I always have just enough. I like how the scarcity of double shotty ammo encourages the use of the pistol more when you need to conserve ammo.

I don't like how insanely long it takes to rev the chainsaw. I think it would be interesting to add a chainsaw start timing mechanic where you hold left click JUST long enough to start the chainsaw or it doesn't start right (but still has a chance to eventually) to allow you to consistently get it out fast enough to use it as a panic weapon. Right now I just use it to get a big monster that I know is sitting by itself in a room out of the way when I don't have enough ammo and that's it.

Lastly, I'd like to be able to manually reload the double shotty. Maybe make it so that fire and alt fire fire the left and right barrels respectively, pressing them at the same time fires both at once, and clicking whichever barrel's empty's fire button reloads it. Right now the alt fire is useless because it's exactly the same as pressing fire and reload doesn't work at all. If you did it for balance maybe also make it so that reloading while one barrel still has a shell tosses the other shell on the ground (which you can then pick up afterwards)?

Anyway, it's a lot more fun to play it on custom maps that rely on zombie man ammo drops now.

EDIT: Holy shit I lost internet right before posting this and thought I lost the whole post.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”