Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lime

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 6th July)

Post by Lime »

for some weapon mods with a vanilla twist, this is good for me. it's enjoyable to play with some maps with these. Nice Job!
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Lime wrote:for some weapon mods with a vanilla twist, this is good for me. it's enjoyable to play with some maps with these. Nice Job!
Thanks man! I do like the vanilla plus type of mods, even if it had been a bit overdone. This mod is my take on it. :)
zitro1987

Post by zitro1987 »

This mod is outstanding! The quality of life improvements associated with medikits and armor, the visual enhancements, and of course the weapons and reload options!

Pistol has its own ammo and thus a useful weapon for conserving ammo of machine gun on easy fights
Submachine-gun also has its ammo. I recommend removing its recoil to slightly improve accuracy and providing an option to disable the sniper feature for vanilla doom players as doom has no sniping weapons
Shotgun either has improved rate of fire of damage depending on options. It is now just as useful as the super shotgun. I recomment an option to sisable the sniping option as doom otherwise was meant to have no sniping options given monsters were not snipers either
Super shotgun plays similarly and feels more powerful without being so
Chaingun plays differently than submachinegun. Im not sure if having a different ammo type than submachinegun is nevessary as it adds a layer of complexity to the ammo system
Rocket launcher is overpowered with reload disabled. I chose only this weapon as requiring reloading. I assume if all weapons require reloading this is well balanced
Plasma gun is powerful and versatile as i would hope. It even provides a decent long range alternate attack but at the cost of lots of ammo. Thanks for showing restraint against a gamebreaking powerful railgun
BFG is finally not overpowered!!! So many modders aim to make this weapon as satisfying as possible and forget about balance. I’ll even say the original BFG was ridiculous and obsoleted the plasma gun
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I made a pointless addon if anyone wants it for this already great weapons mod - a bloody chainsaw:
Attachments
li-wpnitm - Bloody Chainsaw.pk3
(207.38 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 15th October 2019)

Post by LedIris »

Hello everyone! I hope all is well. It's been an awfully long time since I've visited the forums due to real life issues. I very much appreciate the positive feedback the mod is still receiving and a new update is now available in time for Halloween!

-Brightmaps have now been added to all weapons! This adds some very neat visual effects - for example, when you are in the dark, you can see the green lights glowing on your plasma rifle. Muzzle flashes have also been brightmapped, resulting in more vibrant and better looking flashes when firing in the dark
-Casings have been reworked slightly. They no longer play their sound effects as soon as they spawn, instead they only play when bouncing. They also have different bouncing depending on which weapon you're using
-Terrain splashes have been removed to further increase compatibility
-Disabling reloading on the Rocket Launcher will now also slightly decrease its rate of fire for balancing. It is now more closer to the vanilla Doom Rocket Launcher
-All weapon offset animations now have interpolation, resulting in much smoother and more consistent looking animations
-Starting amount of 9mm ammo has been increased from 40 to 50
-Menu has been tidied up and reorganized slightly. It is now more clear what certain options will do
-Green armor, megaarmor and backpack now have pickup flashes
-Assault rifle has had a very slight accuracy increase and horizontal recoil decrease to make it more useful
-Shotgun firing and pump sounds have been beefed up a bit
-Lower quality sound effects for picking up powerups have been replaced with the same sound but in much higher quality
-Startup title and text have had their color changed for Halloween :)

I have also added Neccronixis' excellent bloody chainsaw addon to the front page. Amazing work, dude! The sprites are extremely well designed. :D
Zitro1987 wrote:Pistol has its own ammo and thus a useful weapon for conserving ammo of machine gun on easy fights
Submachine-gun also has its ammo. I recommend removing its recoil to slightly improve accuracy and providing an option to disable the sniper feature for vanilla doom players as doom has no sniping weapons
Shotgun either has improved rate of fire of damage depending on options. It is now just as useful as the super shotgun. I recomment an option to sisable the sniping option as doom otherwise was meant to have no sniping options given monsters were not snipers either
Chaingun plays differently than submachinegun. Im not sure if having a different ammo type than submachinegun is nevessary as it adds a layer of complexity to the ammo system
Rocket launcher is overpowered with reload disabled. I chose only this weapon as requiring reloading. I assume if all weapons require reloading this is well balanced
Plasma gun is powerful and versatile as i would hope. It even provides a decent long range alternate attack but at the cost of lots of ammo. Thanks for showing restraint against a gamebreaking powerful railgun
BFG is finally not overpowered!!! So many modders aim to make this weapon as satisfying as possible and forget about balance. I’ll even say the original BFG was ridiculous and obsoleted the plasma gun
Hi, thanks for playing and leaving some feedback! I have tried to implement some changes requested as listed above, however I have not yet added an option to disable the sniping options for the rifle and shotgun for this new release. It may be something I add in the future, however.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Great to see you back, friend!

I still need to feedback your file you sent me, but don't worry =)

Great to see this mod was updated as well, always a welcome file on my gameplays.
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

Sheesh Interpolation makes a huge difference, nice update dude. One of my favorite mods.
Stock-Doom

Post by Stock-Doom »

LedIris wrote:Hello everyone! I hope all is well. It's been an awfully long time since I've visited the forums due to real life issues. I very much appreciate the positive feedback the mod is still receiving and a new update is now available in time for Halloween!

-Brightmaps have now been added to all weapons! This adds some very neat visual effects - for example, when you are in the dark, you can see the green lights glowing on your plasma rifle. Muzzle flashes have also been brightmapped, resulting in more vibrant and better looking flashes when firing in the dark
-Casings have been reworked slightly. They no longer play their sound effects as soon as they spawn, instead they only play when bouncing. They also have different bouncing depending on which weapon you're using
-Terrain splashes have been removed to further increase compatibility
-Disabling reloading on the Rocket Launcher will now also slightly decrease its rate of fire for balancing. It is now more closer to the vanilla Doom Rocket Launcher
-All weapon offset animations now have interpolation, resulting in much smoother and more consistent looking animations
-Starting amount of 9mm ammo has been increased from 40 to 50
-Menu has been tidied up and reorganized slightly. It is now more clear what certain options will do
-Green armor, megaarmor and backpack now have pickup flashes
-Assault rifle has had a very slight accuracy increase and horizontal recoil decrease to make it more useful
-Shotgun firing and pump sounds have been beefed up a bit
-Lower quality sound effects for picking up powerups have been replaced with the same sound but in much higher quality
-Startup title and text have had their color changed for Halloween :)

I have also added Neccronixis' excellent bloody chainsaw addon to the front page. Amazing work, dude! The sprites are extremely well designed. :D
Zitro1987 wrote:Pistol has its own ammo and thus a useful weapon for conserving ammo of machine gun on easy fights
Hi, thanks for playing and leaving some feedback! I have tried to implement some changes requested as listed above, however I have not yet added an option to disable the sniping options for the rifle and shotgun for this new release. It may be something I add in the future, however.
Everything looks so polished now!

Well, apart for one thing: the Minigun. The flare (Flash sprite) coming from its barrel is not in sync, and when you shoot, it looks... odd and the interpolation of the offsets make it worse.

It's a little problem this mod had for a long time now. Otherwise, stellar job!
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

GAA1992 wrote:Great to see you back, friend!

I still need to feedback your file you sent me, but don't worry =)

Great to see this mod was updated as well, always a welcome file on my gameplays.
Toberone wrote:Sheesh Interpolation makes a huge difference, nice update dude. One of my favorite mods.
Stock-Doom wrote:Everything looks so polished now!
Thanks all for the kind words! Much appreciated. It is good to see you again too GAA. :D Take your time with the feedback ;)
Stock-Doom wrote:Well, apart for one thing: the Minigun. The flare (Flash sprite) coming from its barrel is not in sync, and when you shoot, it looks... odd and the interpolation of the offsets make it worse.

It's a little problem this mod had for a long time now. Otherwise, stellar job!
Thanks for reporting this! I can't believe I haven't noticed after all this time. :lol: I've hopefully fixed this and it will be included in the next update.
Dragunov408

Post by Dragunov408 »

It looks good, and it plays just fine. Thank you for such a great mod!
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

Code: Select all

ACTOR ActualAmmoBox : CustomInventory
{
	Inventory.PickupSound "items/clipb"
	Inventory.PickupMessage "Picked up a box of ammo."
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		AMMO A -1
		Stop
	Pickup:
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("RifleAmmo", 30)
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("Nato", 25)
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory ("9mmAmmo", 30)
	}
}
You forgot to put "Stop" at the end of the pickup state. It's not a big problem, but I was afraid of having a crash on game.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Ac!d wrote:You forgot to put "Stop" at the end of the pickup state. It's not a big problem, but I was afraid of having a crash on game.
Thanks for pointing this out! AFAIK, this has never caused any problems at all, but I've fixed it for the next release and done some general code clean up.
As a little peek, here is what I've been messing around with for the next update. Like the shotgun sounds, I've been working on beefing up all of the current firing sounds in the mod, and I would like to know what everyone thinks about these new ones. I may post a 'Before' video if the differences aren't very noticeable :D but overall my goal is to get the guns sounding more powerful and feeling more satisfying without completely changing all of the old firing sounds as I feel they suited the mod quite well. All feedback is appreciated!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Sounds good so far, they've got a little more punch to them there, along with that echo.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:Sounds good so far, they've got a little more punch to them there, along with that echo.
Thanks man, that's good to hear :)
Here are some more sounds I've been working on, in particular the pistol equip and SSG reloading sounds. Once again all feedback is appreciated! All of these reworked sounds will be included in the next update.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Of all the weapons I feel like the Chaingun is the main one that could use a different sound. It's okay, but not really beefy enough. I think it's the old MG42 sound from MOHAA? The assault rifle could use something a little punchier and more metallic too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”