Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 12th February, 17)

Post by LedIris »

I've got a question: How do you all feel about being able to enable/disable reloading in the mod options menu? I've been wanting to add it for some time but I'm concerned about messing up the balance of the mod. I'll add a poll at some point when I can use my computer again. Let me know what you think!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am all for it! Also, maybe an option to make Zombiemen drop their rifle rather than a pistol clip?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Totally cool by me. :)
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I am all for it! Also, maybe an option to make Zombiemen drop their rifle rather than a pistol clip?
I wouldn't mind doing that. Included as an option means that it can be turned off for monster mods. This is something that I probably should have added a LONG time ago. :D
GAA1992 wrote:Totally cool by me. :)
Sounds good. I'll get working on it then. :D

For anyone interested - disabling reloading would work like it does in Faspons, where (using the shotgun as an example) ammo would be used from the player's shell reserve rather than loaded shells. I'll also add a poll for anyone else to air their thoughts. ;) 8-)
LedIris

Re: [POLL] Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 12th February)

Post by LedIris »

Interesting poll results! I will update this when I can. I would have updated it sooner, but I've been busy working with mapping + work and life. Apologies :(
akiradlc

Post by akiradlc »

This mod is the best weapon mod there is for Doom and Doom 2.
It's the perfect mod to bring these old 1990's games to the mouse+keyboard+freelook era of fps shooters. Makes the gameplay faster and more dynamic but does not take away the basic feeling and concept from the original weapon set.
If I had to complain about something at all in it, would be some of the sound effects chosen, like the secret discovered or the pistol shooting sfx. But that's just my personal taste, there's nothing wrong with them as they are, it all comes together quite nicely in the end.

This and Maps of Chaos makes Doom and Doom 2 come to life again without loosing the nostalgia. I can't play them anymore without using this mod, the original weapons just feel wrong, can't explain.

Thanks a lot for this mod. I'm just trying to show some appreciation for a job very well done. Keep up the good work! =:)
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

On the subject of reloading, I think of an entire submenu where you control which weapons reload and which don't. For example, I want the regular shotgun to reload, but not the SSG.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Hi all! Sorry I've been on hiatus for a long time. I've had some pretty major problems in my life, but I won't go into them here.
I will try and get this mod updated again with toggleable reloading. I've been working on finalizing it over the past few days.
Thanks everyone for the recent positive feedback left! I'm glad you enjoy this mod. :D
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

LedIris wrote:Hi all! Sorry I've been on hiatus for a long time. I've had some pretty major problems in my life, but I won't go into them here.
I will try and get this mod updated again with toggleable reloading. I've been working on finalizing it over the past few days.
Thanks everyone for the recent positive feedback left! I'm glad you enjoy this mod. :D
Felt sorry for you man. hope those major problems you have will soon go from minor to nothing soon.
I love this mod to be honest. it works with zandronum 3.0 flawlessly.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

YukesVonFaust wrote:Felt sorry for you man. hope those major problems you have will soon go from minor to nothing soon.
I love this mod to be honest. it works with zandronum 3.0 flawlessly.
Thank you! Hopefully things will be sorted out soon. I haven't tested zandronum 3.0 compatibility fully, but if it works then that's cool as well. I would love to try this online. :)
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 6th July)

Post by LedIris »

Updated!
-Reloading can now be toggled on/off for each individual weapon!
When reloading is disabled, the weapon uses ammo from its main ammo reserve rather than the loaded ammo. For example, the Pistol will use the raw 9mm Ammo rather than the magazine.
If you run out of the main ammo reserve, the weapon will finish off what's left in its clip/magazine. The only weapon that doesn't do this is the SSG, because I couldn't get the system to work for it very well. :oops:
-Options menu reorganized to be a bit tidier
-You can now toggle between modified/vanilla armor bonuses
-Pistol's reloading animation is now slightly smoother towards the end
-You can turn off the chainsaw with altfire
-Short dryfire animation added to all weapons

I tried to add an option to allow zombiemen to drop their rifles, but it broke compatibility with monster mods. Instead, the rifle has a chance to spawn over pistol clips. This means zombies have a small chance of dropping their rifle.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Long time no see, man!

This mod only gets better over time, like a good wine.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

GAA1992 wrote:Long time no see, man!

Thanks man! I'm sorry for being a minute. I might be able to be more active now. :D
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

LedIris wrote:
GAA1992 wrote:Long time no see, man!

Thanks man! I'm sorry for being a minute. I might be able to be more active now. :D
This is such great stuff, man.

also, It's now compatible with Zandronum 3.0! yays!
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

YukesVonFaust wrote:This is such great stuff, man.

also, It's now compatible with Zandronum 3.0! yays!
Thanks! I briefly tested Zan 3.0 compatibility and it worked OK. I don't know if there's any major issues with it. I'll try and make sure that Zan 3.0 compatibility doesn't break for this mod. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”