Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shadow Hog

Re: Samsara - 0.333 - Décès à Trois

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, clearly we need to make the HUD sprites blue, then.
Project Dark Fox
Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Dark Fox »

Shadow Hog wrote:Well, clearly we need to make the HUD sprites blue, then.
Please no.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I think it'd be best if the Flamethrower sprites were left as they were.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

I suggested this back when the mod was in development but I think it was around when term was losing interest, but I've found two mods that adds smooth weapons animations to the chex warrior:

http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=3971.0
http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=5335.0

I've only checked out the first mod so I don't know the quality of the second one. The first had nice animations for the lesser weapons but the more powerful ones could use work.
ijon

Post by ijon »

leileilol wrote:Quake never had real recoil; it was simply view punching. The aim is never affected
this is exactly why the nailgun, super nailgun, and thunderbolt have such jerky recoil - because zdoom has no concept of camera-only pitching, the intention was for it to reset back to neutral by the time another shot came out (when I was testing it, I just noticed the recoil always went back to neutral right before the next shot came out), and in my testing back in zandronum... 1.1 days?... it actually did always reset to neutral, save when you had a rage rune

I also don't know why it'd be fucking up exclusively online, since each script keeps track of its own pitch delta rather than saving the player's pitch, also to make sure it always goes back to neutral, and with fixed points, there shouldn't be any precision errors from simply adding and subtracting

as a workaround, you could always bind a key to centerview

(also as an aside, the reason why I thought rockets and nails went so fast was because I had 150 fov when testing, so that's that mystery solved)

(and as another aside, I still believe the best thing for samsara would be a full rewrite)
Untitled
Discord: wrsw#0132
Twitch ID: UntitledsTakenNOOOO

Post by Untitled »

ijon wrote:
leileilol wrote:Quake never had real recoil; it was simply view punching. The aim is never affected
this is exactly why the nailgun, super nailgun, and thunderbolt have such jerky recoil - because zdoom has no concept of camera-only pitching, the intention was for it to reset back to neutral by the time another shot came out (when I was testing it, I just noticed the recoil always went back to neutral right before the next shot came out), and in my testing back in zandronum... 1.1 days?... it actually did always reset to neutral, save when you had a rage rune

I also don't know why it'd be fucking up exclusively online, since each script keeps track of its own pitch delta rather than saving the player's pitch, also to make sure it always goes back to neutral, and with fixed points, there shouldn't be any precision errors from simply adding and subtracting

as a workaround, you could always bind a key to centerview

(also as an aside, the reason why I thought rockets and nails went so fast was because I had 150 fov when testing, so that's that mystery solved)

(and as another aside, I still believe the best thing for samsara would be a full rewrite)
The issue isn't that the aiming gets off - it's still aiming correctly, IIRC, the issue is that for some reason the camera completely spazzes out effectively blinding the player - aim isn't affected.
ijon

Post by ijon »

Untitled wrote:The issue isn't that the aiming gets off - it's still aiming correctly, IIRC, the issue is that for some reason the camera completely spazzes out effectively blinding the player - aim isn't affected.
... wait a minute

I KNOW WHAT THAT IS

the ACS call size optimizations has a bug where it sent any clientside script argument in the range [-128, 127] as an unsigned byte! it has nothing to do with the ACS, it was a genuine bug in zandronum.

then recoil script uses negative numbers to signify smaller recoil increments: -4 becomes 0.4 and -15 become 1.5, for example. that's getting sent to the client as 256 + the argument (eg: -4 becomes 252, -15 becomes 241), which is positive and therefore is taken at face value.

nothing needs to be done on the samsara side, and it's fixed in the zandronum 3.0 bitbucket repository.

... actually I think it was -4 --> 0.04 and -150 --> 1.5, but the point is the same.
Kinsie
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Post by Kinsie »

In other news,
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Devastating, and great work.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

those scorches look like dropshadows for the explosion sprite
Silentdarkness12

Yay

Better Devastator explosions
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

better is subjective. like my version of better wouldn't have scorches nor dynamic lights. and nothing wouldn't be suddenly additive and the duke bulletholes would be a decal and then his sbarface would be based on his cgi head sprites even if it means colorzing the green holographic head :P
Silentdarkness12

but

but

muh smol explosions
Kinsie
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Post by Kinsie »

leileilol wrote:nor dynamic lights