Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Samsara - 0.32 - This Version's Kinda Grosse...

Post by Kinsie »

BouncyTEM wrote:
Kinsie wrote:
Doctrine Dark wrote:For those who want to play with some extra class, I tested the add-on character Corridor 7 (Space SEAL) and functioned normally in this release.
Is there a link to this mod anywhere? The Dropbox link on the old Samsara Github Wiki is dead.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/323 ... 7-v029.pk3

I can't remember if this is a functioning version or not, I stopped working on it when I started having too much trouble keeping everything working.

But as this was my hero, I still had him around.
Thanks for the link!

Hmm. Seems like using it overwrites all the libraries, effectively reverting the mod back to 0.3. This is probably why a mod/extension system like Reelism would be a good idea for the future...
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Kinsie

"Hmm. Seems like using it overwrites all the libraries, effectively reverting the mod back to 0.3. This is probably why a mod/extension system like Reelism would be a good idea for the future.."

This means that it can be compatible with future versions since the changes are not so drastic?

Princess Viscra Maelstrom

"IIRC, he met Jon at a convention of some sort, and he's been known to contribute various voice-clips at such places, like reading a portion of 50 Shades of Grey for an audience."

It's so cool to see the actors involved with fans work.
Last edited by Doctrine Gamer on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ijon

Post by ijon »

have fun making the weapon and class system modular with plain ACS

the only way I can think of is
  1. hijacking a global array to hold every single piece of data about the weapons and classes, and build it at runtime
  2. figure out how to do memory management on it, which will inevitably be error-prone and another source of frustration and things breaking
  3. ... or somehow manage to structure the global array in such a way that it's not necessary

only way I can think of is basically having what is effectively a 2D array, with rows containing every single data point needed for anything, slapping things onto the end as needed, and searching through them on runtime for what's necessary

granted, once you find it the first time you can cache it somewhere maybe (assuming nothing gets added in the middle of the game for whatever reason, because then HOO BOY), but you gotta find it in the first place and that takes time
  4. create fifty bajillion helper functions because no one would ever willingly mess with the global array directly
  5. port EVERYTHING in the ACS over, and I'm sure there's stuff in there that no one can explain anymore so good luck
  6. hope it doesn't break
good fucking luck

oh wait, I just remembered another problem with this: with zandronum online play, the client needs to know about the data too, because of pickup messages and probably some other crap! so you gotta do this TWICE, once for the server and once for the client! and you better fucking hope the clients don't get the order wrong, or have any sort of mismatch in their data whatsoever, because if they do, you are screwed, no ifs, ands, or buts.

there's a reason why I stopped trying to get ACS to do complicated things, and you're looking at one of them
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Kinsie wrote:Thanks for the link!

Hmm. Seems like using it overwrites all the libraries, effectively reverting the mod back to 0.3. This is probably why a mod/extension system like Reelism would be a good idea for the future...
If you manage to pull that off, I will more than happily update the Corridor 7 guy for that system, possibly as one of the first.

I know Terminus really liked it, so it seems a worthy endeavor.

Best of luck!
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

I'm just writing this here to say I'm glad this old mod's being picked up and dusted off again (for both ports, no less)!

That being said, the Quake nailgun's recoil still jackhammers the camera into the ceiling among a few other things.
http://pastebin.com/48D0Znfj
Rhiannon
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro

Post by Rhiannon »

Kyle Katarn is back and better than ever pretty much the same as he was before, but now he's ready to kick ass in 0.32!

Download: Beta Version 1 - 2.32 MB

Changelog since the previous version:
Spoiler:
Plans for future updates:
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Doctrine Dark wrote:It's so cool to see the actors involved with fans work.
Jon St. John seems pretty approachable, given just how many goofy stuff he's contributed to. There's Doug Huggem, and there's also this for when you need Duke Nukem to read you the menu of an old text editor.
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

I wouldn't mind seeing Caleb and Lo-Wang in Samsara 0.32 however leileilol did have a point with Moonman and Gordon Freeman. I would like the two in the mod since they're apart of the build engine saga.

I don't want characters like Gordon Freeman in the mod since well......3-D Weapons wouldn't work well with Samsara to be honest.

Just to let you know I'm working on some improved sprites for BJ. You want you can use them for the mod once they're finished It's up to you of course. :)
Spoiler:
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Kyle Katarn from Star Wars makes it even more interesting Crossover :D it is a very welcome addition to the Team Heroes of Samsara.

Gez ---> Thanks for the links. :mrgreen:

Luigi2600 ----> "I don't want characters like Gordon Freeman in the mod since well......3-D Weapons wouldn't work well with Samsara to be honest."

I agree 3-D characters is strange in the Doom universe and its variations.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Kyle didn't have a player-sprite in Dark Forces 1? O.o
i'm actually sort of giddy he's in here because i love the Dark Forces games. i might have to arrange some co-op sessions with my friends with this mod...
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:Kyle didn't have a player-sprite in Dark Forces 1? O.o
i'm actually sort of giddy he's in here because i love the Dark Forces games. i might have to arrange some co-op sessions with my friends with this mod...
Nope, the game was strictly singleplayer so there was no need to make a sprite for him. I've got a Jedi Knight 2 model of his Dark Forces 1 appearance, I just need to either use it to make sprites myself or find someone to make them for me.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

The Riet , loved you brought this character from Star Wars pro Samsara , now how do him appear in Hacx Hacx 1.2, apparently the mod works but when selecting it does not appear .
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Doctrine Dark wrote:The Riet , loved you brought this character from Star Wars pro Samsara , now how do him appear in Hacx Hacx 1.2, apparently the mod works but when selecting it does not appear .
Katarn isn't compatible with Hacx because Samsara isn't compatible with Hacx.
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Boy oh boy, this is back!

I kinda wanted the Doom64 Marine class to be fixed for this new version, hope its DEV sees this and update it, or maybe someone can base on the mod that uses the original D64 coding and adapt it to work with Samsara.
Doctrine Gamer

Hacx & Harmony Wads

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

The Riet wrote:
Doctrine Dark wrote:The Riet , loved you brought this character from Star Wars for Samsara , now how do him appear in Hacx Hacx 1.2, apparently the mod works but when selecting it does not appear .
Katarn isn't compatible with Hacx because Samsara isn't compatible with Hacx.
Hacx I use a compatibility patch https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... _patch.pk3

For Wad Harmony use another compatibility patch .. Katarn work normally in Harmony.

I found strange work in this and the other does not since both wads use compatibility patch.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”