Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FaggoStorm

Re: Samsara - 0.333 - Décès à Trois

Post by FaggoStorm »

On DUMP 2 Map 47: I was playing with B.J. and everything was going fine until something happened. When I clicked on the eye to go to the big arena to fight the cyberdemon, he killed me but I had an extra life. I got back to the start and I went back to the place where the eye switch was. I tried to click on it but it didn't work. I know its not Samsara's fault, its the map but you should make B.J.'s extra life make you spawn where you died.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

FaggoStorm wrote:I know its not Samsara's fault
That is correct. And that's why I'm not changing this part of the Extra Life.
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

Atleast add an option to change between the normal Extra Life and the option to respawn where you died because it can break alot of maps and it just makes me want to play less B.J.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

ijon wrote:but the doomsphere doesn't actually exist without skulltag_actors.pk3 loaded - at the very least it shouldn't, because it's a skulltag actor
It does exist. It still spawns, it just doesn't have any sprites or sounds or statusbar frames.
ijon

Post by ijon »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
ijon wrote:but the doomsphere doesn't actually exist without skulltag_actors.pk3 loaded - at the very least it shouldn't, because it's a skulltag actor
It does exist. It still spawns, it just doesn't have any sprites or sounds or statusbar frames.
well that's dumb and they should change that

either way, loading a map or something that does define the doomsphere itself will cause zdoom to be registered as zandronum using that method
President People

Post by President People »

What about the Terminator (Sphere) or Possession Stone?
ijon

Post by ijon »

either could be defined - unlikely, but still possible

Set/GetDBEntry is the only truly foolproof way I've found, which is why I recommended it
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'll side with ijon on this; identification based on spawning an item class cannot be a safe and sure way when anyone can be loading custom classes which can perfectly well coincidentally happen to have the same name.

It's like when people try to spawn a supershotgun to check if they're in Doom II or Ultimate Doom. It's a ugly hack that will break easily.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SAMSARA LIVES! YAAAAAY!

Definitely gonna get back into this one.

EDIT: So....uh........hehe......what's all this jazz about Prisoner 849?..... : P
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

FaggoStorm wrote:Atleast add an option to change between the normal Extra Life and the option to respawn where you died because it can break alot of maps and it just makes me want to play less B.J.
Kinsie wrote:I'm not changing this part of the Extra Life.
ijon wrote:Set/GetDBEntry is the only truly foolproof way I've found, which is why I recommended it
Can I use it when compiling for ZDoom without farting around inside zspecial or whatever?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Gez wrote:It's a ugly hack that will break easily.
A proud Samsara tradition, then. :P
ijon

Post by ijon »

Kinsie wrote:Can I use it when compiling for ZDoom without farting around inside zspecial or whatever?
it's in acc 1.55's zspecial.acs already, and the functions do absolutely nothing in zdoom

also I'm pretty sure if maps are being rendered unplayable by a feature, you should fix it

seriously just make a cvar, samsara_samerevivespot or something, bam, solved, move on
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

ijon wrote:
Kinsie wrote:Can I use it when compiling for ZDoom without farting around inside zspecial or whatever?
it's in acc 1.55's zspecial.acs already, and the functions do absolutely nothing in zdoom

also I'm pretty sure if maps are being rendered unplayable by a feature, you should fix it

seriously just make a cvar, samsara_samerevivespot or something, bam, solved, move on
If a map is being broken by a glorified Chaos Device, then it is broken in co-op. Map bugs are not in my jurisdiction.

This also introduces potential issues with the player being stuck if they take a Extra Life into an inescapable death trap (telefragging a voodoo doll? can't test right now) and dealing with 100 different edge cases for an already-buggy power up is not my idea of fun.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

ijon wrote:also I'm pretty sure if maps are being rendered unplayable by a feature, you should fix it
Let's think about this for a second:
If the Extra Life leads to an unplayable situation...its the maps fault.
Also, then this issue isn't exclusive to BJ. All classes, when they respawn, respawn at the start. BJ just keeps his stuff.
Then the map is also broken in co-op, a major draw and factor of Samsara.

"But what about singleplayer?"

Load and Save if you know the map will break via respawning. BJ has a lot more going for him than Extra lives.
ijon

Post by ijon »

Kinsie wrote: If a map is being broken by a glorified Chaos Device, then it is broken in co-op. Map bugs are not in my jurisdiction.
some maps were never made for coop. that doesn't make them broken, that just means they weren't meant for coop. breaking an assumption that single-player-only maps make isn't a fault of the map, it's a fault of the mod that breaks that assumption.

it's like going into a map that says it's made for limit-removing ports in the README and complaining that crouching breaks it. well no shit, you broke one of the assumptions it worked with, of course it'll break. that doesn't make it the map's fault. and yes, the README of doomworld uploads will also mention if the map's made for coop.
This also introduces potential issues with the player being stuck if they take a Extra Life into an inescapable death trap (telefragging a voodoo doll? can't test right now) and dealing with 100 different edge cases for an already-buggy power up is not my idea of fun.
it's better than nothing. just because it isn't a perfect solution doesn't mean it's not worth implementing, especially when all it'd take is a "if (!GetCVar("samsara_samerevivespot")) { <move dude> }".

and for the record, zandronum ignores sv_samespawnspot when you die from hurtfloors for that very reason.
Infirnex wrote:
ijon wrote:also I'm pretty sure if maps are being rendered unplayable by a feature, you should fix it
Let's think about this for a second:
If the Extra Life leads to an unplayable situation...its the maps fault.
unless it was made exclusively for single player! are you saying it's the map's fault when you use something it was never built for and it breaks? that's ridiculous!
"But what about singleplayer?"

Load and Save if you know the map will break via respawning. BJ has a lot more going for him than Extra lives.
or maybe have a feature of the mod not break single player maps

as I said, it is literally just adding a cvar, how are you opposed to adding a cvar that'd take a whopping 10 minutes to add and fix the situation up instantly

Return to “Gameplay Mods”