Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Facínora

Re: Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Post by Facínora »

the dropbox link for the 0.3666 isn't working.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Facínora wrote:the dropbox link for the 0.3666 isn't working.
Fixed, thanks for the heads-up.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

Good day will you be adding additional characters over time? Would love to see characters such as serious sam or hell even the postal dude make an apprearance :D
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Will you add Duke's tripbomb, shrinker, and expander? I'm guessing it's hard to code the tripbomb, and you would have to go through the trouble of coding new enemy forms for the shrinker and expander.
Also, can you also code the thing where the pipebomb goes farther the longer you hold the fire button?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I don't think there's any place for those in Samsara. Not to mention, all the classes have (about) the same amount of weapons. Balancing just for Duke would be a royal pain, I would assume.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Those weapons were pretty gimmicky - like many things in Duke Nukem 3d - and never that great to begin with anyway. :|

If you want to have access to a more faithful recreation of the Duke Nukem 3d arsenal, try CeeJay's Duke It Out in Doom. Unfortunately, it is exclusive to 3DGE and, last I checked, the latest build does not work with the mod, but if you can get past those technical difficulties, you might find it quite enjoyable.

And speaking of additional heroes, I am still not sure I understand the reluctance to add Caleb. I recently played Blood - or rather its Eduke32 remake BloodCM - and the character seems to handle very differently than Duke Nukem.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

@JohnnyTheWolf what role would Caleb fulfill, again?

We already have the Damage, the Crowd Control, the Utility, etc etc.....
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

The Pyromaniac. A number of his weapons can leave flames that steadily damage the target like a stock poison effect, but he always runs the risk of setting himself on fire too.
Silentdarkness12

You do know that he has multiple weapons that aren't flame based? In fact, his strongest weapons (Skull Staff, Voodoo Doll) don't use fire at all. Doesn't really fit, if you ask me.

Mage, maybe, but even that's a stretch.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

The same can be said for Parias and his role as the Brawler.
Silentdarkness12

Not really. His role as brawler is noted by his passive abilities(such as his higher defense), which means he can get up close and take a lot more of a pounding.

I wouldn't put Caleb as a Pyro class. Seeing as how he's proven to be quite flammable. : P
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:@JohnnyTheWolf what role would Caleb fulfill, again?

We already have the Damage, the Crowd Control, the Utility, etc etc.....
I do not know. I just think Caleb has a memorable personality as well as a badass arsenal that would be fun to use against Doom bestiary.

So far, the only Samsara characters I have bothered playing are Doomguy, Duke Nukem and occasionally the Security Officer. Everyone else strikes me as either boring (Corvus and Parias), underwhelming (The Ranger and Chexwarrior) or too limited (Blazkowicz).

Anyway, I am not asking for Caleb to be made into an official character; I just do not get the disdain for him.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I feel like Caleb would be done better justice if he had his own mod. I don't think he'd fit very well within Samsara's mechanics.
Silentdarkness12

Caleb is really just old-timey Duke Nukem, minus the sex jokes. Regardless, I would agree with Wildweasel, just purely because I can see that Caleb's not gonna be added to Samsara.

Just for the record though, what do you mean BJ's limited?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

wildweasel wrote:I feel like Caleb would be done better justice if he had his own mod. I don't think he'd fit very well within Samsara's mechanics.
Agreed! I know of Bloom, but it has yet to be released and I do not know if it will support vanilla mapsets.
Silentdarkness12 wrote:Caleb is really just old-timey Duke Nukem, minus the sex jokes.
Yes and no. While he does reference pop culture a lot, he has a lot more going on personality wise than Duke Nukem.
Just for the record though, what do you mean BJ's limited?
His first three weapons use the same ammunition and he does not have a class III weapon. I know Samsara adds the Flamethrower, the Rocket Launcher and the Spear of Destiny, but they do not feel all that great to use and in most mapsets you do not get them after a while anyway, so you inevitably end up going through the levels using nothing but the Chaingun - which gets old fast.
Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”