Doom64: Unabsolved - [Zandronum]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ænima

Doom64: Unabsolved - [Zandronum]

Post by Ænima »

(Cross-posted from the Zandronum forums. The original thread is here.)

NOTE: You need to load this first in order to run this addon.
(And if you're using GZDoom instead of Zandronum, you need to load this patch by Cryomundus after SD64 and before Unabsolved.)

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler: S C R E E N S H O T S

SO WHAT IS IT?
20 years after the release of Midway's infamous Doom64 for the N64, there's a whole new way to experience Hell.

Over 30 new monsters, 8 new weapons, useful sidearms, frag grenades, flying kicks, beautiful effects, and much more await you! Spray lead with the Uzi, use the Taser to hold monsters back from attacking your teammates, heal your friends with the Healing Staff, and work together to kick demon ass.

This is an addon for Strikerman's Super Doom64 that adds many new monsters, a few new weapons, effects (courtesy of AeniPuffs), RPG elements, and a few gameplay tweaks. Intended for survival, with emphasis on cooperation between party members of different skill specialties.

This mod is still in the alpha stages. I am working on something similar to the Diablo 2 skill tree, and there will be a leveling system, with experience and skills being saved between sessions. There's already a few Diablo 2 monsters.

SIDEARMS:
Remember to set up your keys to switch to different sidearms, or just bind one key to cycle through them (R by default).

To use a sidearm, simply press and hold Altfire with any weapon! You will use whatever sidearm you currently have selected.

Requires SamuZero's unofficial fork of Super Doom64 (sd64_unofficial_v*.pk3) to run.

Also super special thanks to SunMadcat for his awesome monsters! And President People for his awesome ZandroGuy skin!

I'll post updates primarily over at the Zandronum forums but I'll link the releases here.

Downloads:

ALPHA 10

Spoiler: changelog
Last edited by Ænima on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Luigi2600

Re: Doom64: Unabsolved [Zandronum]

Post by Luigi2600 »

You should make it a single mod since when I tried to load the two mods together it never loaded at all. :D
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Luigi2600 wrote:You should make it a single mod since when I tried to load the two mods together it never loaded at all. :D
How are you loading them? Order is important. If using the "drag and drop" method you have to highlight sd64_unofficial_v20 first, then Unabsolved. If using Command Prompt or Terminal or ZDL or DoomSeeker, simply list sd64_unofficial first.

Also, I cannot combine the two pk3's because I did not make SD64 and that would be theft, no? Plus if SD64 is ever updated in the future, I'd hate having to waste time backporting those changes into my PK3. :p
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Hey would it be okay if I put those new weapons (minus the Uzi) into a mod of my own? I've made a Doom 64 Weapons only WAD and I liked these weapons and they are in the D64 style, so I'd love to include them. I know the sprites themselves are the work of others, but part of the DECORATE code would be from your work. Do I haz permissionz?
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

Hey Aenima,Nevander asked you a question,will you permit him to borrow the 4 weapons (no uzi,taser and healing staff,only the 4 added main weapons) for his Doom 64 weapons only mod for ZDoom/GZDoom ?

It's painful to watch these weapons being only used with Zandronum,Nevander will gladly convert those for ZDoom/GZDoom and of course we will mention you in the credits.

If you dont want to,we wont do it,but we wanted to ask your permission first at least.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Nevander wrote:Hey would it be okay if I put those new weapons (minus the Uzi) into a mod of my own? I've made a Doom 64 Weapons only WAD and I liked these weapons and they are in the D64 style, so I'd love to include them. I know the sprites themselves are the work of others, but part of the DECORATE code would be from your work. Do I haz permissionz?
Freaklore1 wrote:Hey Aenima,Nevander asked you a question,will you permit him to borrow the 4 weapons (no uzi,taser and healing staff,only the 4 added main weapons) for his Doom 64 weapons only mod for ZDoom/GZDoom ?

It's painful to watch these weapons being only used with Zandronum,Nevander will gladly convert those for ZDoom/GZDoom and of course we will mention you in the credits.

If you dont want to,we wont do it,but we wanted to ask your permission first at least.
Hey guys, sorry I forgot to check up on this thread! I don't lurk the Zdoom forums as much as the Zandronum forums. :P

Sure, go ahead and use them. Just remember to credit me for the code and sounds, and also credit the sprite artists too. Thanks! :D
Legend

Re: Doom64: Unabsolved - [Zandronum]

Post by Legend »

The nail gun is pretty slick. It definitely needs some sort of muzzle flash in my opinion though.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Legend wrote:The nail gun is pretty slick. It definitely needs some sort of muzzle flash in my opinion though.
Yeah I thought that too. :p

I'll work on that for the next version.
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

The Nailgun isnt really your typical firearm,so when considering a muzzle flash effect,it would need to be a bit subtle,dont need to over exagerrate with the flashyness.
Last edited by Freaklore1 on Mon May 09, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Speaking of which, I was sort of waiting to see what it looks like if it gets added to this mod, as to add it to mine too. The Nailgun in the original Quake even had a very small muzzleflash. Right now though in my own mod, there are zero lights or flashes to the Nailgun and the fire sound even sounds as if the nails are being fired by pressure or spring, not so much an explosion.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Freaklore1 wrote:The Nailgun isnt really your typical firearm,so when considering a muzzle flash effect,it would need to be a bit subtle,dont need to over exagerrate with the flashyness.
Yeah, I'm probably just going to use a small flash sprite with a 1-tic duration.
Nevander wrote:Speaking of which, I was sort of waiting to see what it looks like if it gets added to this mod, as to add it to mine too. The Nailgun in the original Quake even had a very small muzzleflash. Right now though in my own mod, there are zero lights or flashes to the Nailgun and the fire sound even sounds as if the nails are being fired by pressure or spring, not so much an explosion.
Well, some nailguns actually use .22 bullet cartridges instead of compressed air (I've used a Ramset for construction before, quite fun!).

I always imagined that the Quake nailgun uses something much bigger, like a .45, and I think the sound that I used in this mod fits quite well.
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

I'd rather have the nailgun be some fastprojectile thing instead of hitscan tbh..
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Raziel236 wrote:I'd rather have the nailgun be some fastprojectile thing instead of hitscan tbh..
Have you even played the mod? :|

It IS a projectile. Not a hitscan. You can even see that in the video that's in the first post ...
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Big update!

Thanks to submissions from Barge, this mod now has 3 more new weapons (zombieman's rifle, Firestorm machinegun, and revenant cannons) and 2 new attack macros (throw grenade and kick)! I also used some of his submitted content to make most of the monsters' and weapons' effects prettier. Much prettier.

Take a look:

And of course, many balances and bug fixes. Ya already know.

So yeah here's the download link:
https://allfearthesentinel.net/download ... alpha8.pk3

And the changes:

• alpha8:
  • Added the Firestorm, Rifle, and Revenant Cannons! Thanks, TheBarge.
  • Added grenades and kicking! Thanks x2, TheBarge.
  • Very good explosion and smoke effects. Thanks x3, dude.
  • Nerfed the council member's archvile fire, his lightning, and his melee.
  • Barely nerfed the Venom Lord's melee.
  • Nerfed deathbrawler spike attack.
  • Decreased Nightmare Caco spawn chance.
  • Fixed: Kamikaze bomber's radius was 30 instead of 20, causing him to get stuck.
  • Bullet tracers no longer clip through actors and thin walls.
  • Taser no longer alerts monsters.
  • Nerfed the Lasher's fireballs as well as his melee.
  • Increased Unraveller spawn chance.
  • Zombieman now makes rifle sound instead of pistol.
  • Nerfed the Warrior Baron's poison attacks.
  • Increased gib sprite scale.
  • Fixed: Gibbed harpy imps would remain floating.
  • Fixed: Deathbrawler variants didn't pass their color translations onto their gibs.
  • Limited the range of the Abbreviator's volcano summon.
  • Added -COUNTKILL to the Council Member's hydras because they screwed up the monster count.
BFG

Post by BFG »

any plans to make a ZDoom version of this? I get errors on startup because of missing stuff from the Zandro pk3 file.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”