[A.1x1 released] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [11/06/2016 - 0.87 Alpha] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Postby dljosef » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:41 pm

So the clock'll be the BFG for the subweapons? That's perfectly fine, especially for those slaughtermaps.

Anyways, the whip's pretty good at one-shotting revenants as far as I noticed. Even without upgraded range.
dljosef
Brutal Doom? Nope, I don't care.

Re: [CV Gameplay Mod - A0.88] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Postby Pink Baron » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Err...no, the Clock is only here as a powerup: the Grand Cross will be the slot 7 Subweapon, with pretty much the same effects as the BFG.
Updated the thread, also partially redone the first post with the contents of the Mod.
Pink Baron

Postby floatRand » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:37 pm

The mod feels really good, although wee bit overpowered compared to regular arsenal - which is not a bad thing necessarily, since it does kinda meet up the challenge provided by some tougher mapsets.
I had short run-through of my Dump3 map with it, and was really pleased by it. Although Ricochet Rock seems really spammable, alongside with Holy Water. I could just piss them away and destroy everything in the room. They really overshadow other subweapons - or was the spammability intended?

Looking forward seeing mod getting finished.
Spoiler:
floatRand
Parade of Failure

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:41 pm

I feel like this could use Spell Fusion, in the style of either Harmony of Dissonance (with a separate MP gauge) or Lament of Innocence (costing more hearts instead of a separate gauge). Then you could have a fair degree of customization on what you do with your subweapons, and the classic Item Crashes would also be accounted for with the right spellbook applied.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Pink Baron » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:43 am

First of all, I'm truly sorry for whoever experiences an easy, almost cheap, playthrough feel with this mod. I know that project is on it's early stage and problems like this are only natural, but I can't help but feeling bad to not getting these out before.

To be honest, I had only used the very first map of Doom2 as a playtest, and that's why the subs are so OP. Only now that I'm getting to both DUMP 1 and 2 I'm able to test first-handed the edits I'm going to do. As the time I'm writing this post, I've already nerfed the DPS of almost all subweapons. Most notably is the Holy Water whose area of effect - thanks to an optimized code - was reduced from 130 degrees to 80 degrees with a single number edit.

The MP gauge is a neat idea too, but I think it's not indicated to implement on Richter. Sure, Alucard and Maria can adopt them instead/alongside the standard ammo, simply the Vampire Hunter does not need such third millennium things: these are your Hearts, what you see is what you get.

Also, some of you may notice that the Yellow Skull key won't appear on Hud once picked up. It will be fixed next version.
Pink Baron

Postby SiFi270 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:47 am

Hi, Castlevania and Doom are like my two favorite things, I'm so glad this exists. Anyway, I'd like to make a few suggestions regarding what spawns in place of what.

• I feel like the whip upgrade would work better as a replacement for the chainsaw, while the HP max up could be shifted accordingly so it becomes the new soul sphere, and the berserker pack could temporarily turn the whip into a flame whip.
  • The megasphere could be the orb that appears after a boss is defeated.
  • I've noticed that nothing spawns in place of the single barrel shotgun at the moment, so I thought maybe the "pistol" could be a single dagger like in most games, and then where the shotgun used to be, there'd be an upgrade to the triple dagger.
  • Lastly, I don't see why invulnerability is replaced with a heart upgrade like the backpack when the pre-Symphony games had an invincibility powerup that'd work just fine.
SiFi270

Postby Murix » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:39 pm

I've just downloaded the latest version of Z DOOM and I keep getting this error on start-up
This happens on GZDOOM too.

Code: Select allExpand view
Script error, "NotS A0.88.pk3:decorate/weapons/whippieces.txt" line 65:
Call to unknown function 'CountInv'
Murix
Developing Ballad of Rhinestone

Postby Captain J » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:02 am

I've ran it with Gzdoom version g2.2pre-1664-g18ebe82 and it ran fine to me.

and, i'm wishing for this mod can have dynamic and retrospective weapon hit sound effects. it doesn't feel so satisfying to hit enemies without playing hit sound effects!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Murix » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:11 am

g18ebe82 or g18ebe92?

I ran it on the 64 version of 92 and it keeps messing up.
Murix

Postby Captain J » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:34 am

i said wrote:I've ran it with Gzdoom version g2.2pre-1664-g18ebe82
and about the 64x version, i have no idea.

Have you redownloaded the gzdoom and the mod?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Murix » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:23 am

(complaining about errors in the wrong place)
Last edited by Murix on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murix

Postby Accensus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:53 am

Post this in the Bugs forum or ask a mod to move it. I tested with ZDoom 2.9pre-995-g5348a15 and it works perfectly. No errors at all.
Accensus

Postby Murix » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:18 am

Yeah I just downloaded the previous version to the latest dev build, the latest dev build and the normal build don't work.

So gzdoom-x64-g2.2pre-1651-g4940f02 works fine.
Murix

Postby dljosef » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:59 am

On the subject of holy water, it can even stunlock bosses. (Particularly the spider mastermind. Cyberdemon may still get off a shot or two, though.)

Anyways, about the axe, am I the only one who doesn't really use it all that often? (Or the cross, ironically enough.)
dljosef
Brutal Doom? Nope, I don't care.

Postby Pink Baron » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Sorry for everyone waiting, but I'm looking for different things before updating. First of which, the attempts of making Whip Pieces explode all at once using an inventory item. Problem is, those pieces can take out items from their target (in this case, Richter), but can't read his inventory for the purposes of A_CheckInventory/Jump/JumpIf/JumpIfTargetInTargetInventory, etc...I did every possible combination, but can't figure out the answer. This could have optimized more the Whip, too bad.
If anyone out there is able to succeed where I failed, go ahead: we need people like you.

About the balancing, I've done a few tests with the nerfed subweapons. Turns out that I complete levels of DUMP2 on UV with around 15-20 spare ammo at very best, and one time I've faced hordes of Cacodemons and Lost Souls when I was ran out. But there's my fault, as I'd spam Axes right before the ambush.

Captain J wrote:I've ran it with Gzdoom version g2.2pre-1664-g18ebe82 and it ran fine to me.

and, i'm wishing for this mod can have dynamic and retrospective weapon hit sound effects. it doesn't feel so satisfying to hit enemies without playing hit sound effects!

Use always the last development build of GZdoom, I'll add that on the first post on update.

Everyone can wish and hope but as I've experienced, things won't come out from the sky: if you want a thing, best thing you do is to make it. Like NotS 8-)
And remember: if you want to help in any way, you can do so.

dljosef wrote:On the subject of holy water, it can even stunlock bosses. (Particularly the spider mastermind. Cyberdemon may still get off a shot or two, though.)

Anyways, about the axe, am I the only one who doesn't really use it all that often? (Or the cross, ironically enough.)

Bosses are not supposed to be stunned like that, will be fixed next version.

And finally, one screen of everyday work to kill time...my method of making sprites (!)
Spoiler:
Pink Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods