[A.1x1 released] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hornetzero

Re: [CV Gameplay Mod - A0.88] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Hornetzero »

For me, its always been about the whip "vampire killer" in the castlevania series. I made the chain whip sprite using Eriance's gun sprites because I just loved how unique and awesome this weapon would translate to in 3d. If the coding for the whip can be modified/simplified to allow the following features,

1, Allow the ability to swing the whip in a flailing fashion to hit creatures continuously in front of you and behind you.
2, ability to use the flaming whip
3, Somehow, correcting the sprite positioning to allow the stretched out arm to be visible.

This mod is complete for me and I would be on my way to build a submod over it. As it stands, its very well made.
Pink Baron

Post by Pink Baron »

EDIT: Sorry for the wait, but I'm almost done with the new version featuring:
1) Balancing (eg. Bosses are now immune from Holy Water);
2) Code optimization (rewrote the Whip...again!);
3) New Subweapon projectile sprites...with sixteen rotations! (Remember the Axe I've posted a while ago? Well, forget it it sucked so I had to remade it. All over again);
4) New powerup sprites (LightAmp and World Map still missing);
5) A reworked version of Berserk (guess what it is?);
6) The BFC (also known as Big F****** Cross)!
7) Other things I can't remember right now such as...uh...ah, I suck at doing screenshots!

Sadly, I've found some issues that, also because of my inexperience about ACSes, lights, brightmaps, and particles, I can't and most likely won't make up by alone. Luckly they are minor things, and I'm sure
someone out there can help me fixing them.
To kill the wait, here's some new screenshots. They won't likely tell much, because as I said, I'm really bad at doing screenshots:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

This looks amazing! I cant wait to give this a go, I love Castlevania!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I've been on something of a Castlevania kick for the last month or so and finally decided it was time to give this a try. Here's what I thought; I've been using the 0.88 version from the OP.

Firstly....I really hope someone can help spruce up the whip sprite. It's serviceable as it is, but it is missing that essential polishing that makes for a truly great Doom sprite...and the animation does not take widescreen displays into account. Also regarding the whip, is holding the button supposed to be some kind of guard against projectiles? I wasn't able to figure out what it's for.

I feel like the weapons in this are way too powerful. I can understand the whip and most subweapons killing zombies and maybe imps in one well-placed shot, but as I played through Scythe2, I found I was able to one-shot-kill Mancs and Arachnotrons if I got close enough with the whip. The cross boomerang absolutely trivialized an encounter with the Cyberdemon (but I wasn't able to use it very effectively against anything smaller), and the Holy Water is ridiculously spammable, especially on huge groups, since it has such a wide arc, long range, and only costs 1 heart to use. I suspect a lot of this headache comes from most of the weapons being +RIPPER; if you don't mind replacing the monsters, I seem to recall there is a way to make +RIPPER weapons only deal damage once per contact.

An alternative proposal for the +RIPPER weapons: instead of dealing direct damage to the enemy using the built-in method, give them NO direct damage at all, and have them A_Explode with a small radius every few tics. This way, you can make them deal relatively high amounts of damage through the explosion (making them effective against small monsters) while also preventing the weapon from damaging the enemy every single tic it's touching. The GBA/DS Castlevanias have a similar system in place; attacks that pierce through enemies have a timer on them that allows them to only damage the enemy once per interval, with the interval depending on the weapon. This makes it so that even very powerful persistent attacks like Holy Water or a stalled Cross can't deal insane amounts of damage while traveling through a large boss.

If you want to leave the damage as-is, I'd suggest adjusting the Hearts usage per subweapon. Since the player doesn't swap subweapons by picking them up, but rather carries all of them at once (similar to Portrait of Ruin's system), it feels like it makes no sense to use the knives once you've found basically anything else. For standard encounters on level ground with no obstacles, the Holy Water is better than literally everything else, not only because of its wide radius and range of attack, but because it only costs 1 heart to use. I do notice the Cross takes 3 hearts to use; why not adjust the other subweapons to suit, SOTN-style? That way, the player won't be constantly maxed out on hearts.

Speaking of maxing out: why don't the "heart bundles" increase the max? Maybe it's time to add that behavior, while simultaneously increasing heart costs across the board.

I notice you're using the Berserk packs as a generic "increase whip length" powerup. Combine this with the fact that the default whip is already pretty heavily overpowered, and perhaps you should have it behave more like the classic whip upgrade, make the player start with a weaker Leather whip, and have the upgrade cycle upwards through several levels? From leather, to thorn, to chain, to longer chain, to flame. It looks like you've got the Flame Whip installed in some form in the upcoming version...is this what you're doing already?

Lastly, as much as I love the existing sound effects, the only one that bothers me is the CV4 whip sound. Given the choice, I'd replace it with the SNES Dracula X whip sounds, both swinging and impact.

Kudos for your work so far, though! With as many Castlevania-themed Doom things as there have been, it's nice to see one that's actually had tangible progress on it. I look forward to the next version.
Pink Baron

Re: [CV Gameplay Mod - A0.998] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Pink Baron »

I could have posted the update some day ago but luckily for you I've learned the use of ACS, so I've added in things (including a secret!) could get out otherwise.
Here's the update: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jynn2cnbam8a ... 8.rar?dl=0

With this, the Alpha state is officially done - there's some minor issues here and there, but I can't get them out by alone anyway...you're free to give me an hand :D - thus I'll start working on the second class, Alucard...but only after someone finds out what this secret is! XD

Anyway, here's both the overview and the changelog:

UPDATE OVERVIEW:
Spoiler:
CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Pink Baron on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

an update? Hell ya!
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Found out something odd. The invulnerability jar is also on the chainsaw spot. Is that intentional?
Pink Baron

Post by Pink Baron »

dljosef wrote:Found out something odd. The invulnerability jar is also on the chainsaw spot. Is that intentional?
Partially yes, it is: the chainsaw spot is replaced by a random powerup spawner, reload and see what happens. Maybe will be replaced with Berserk in the future, but I fear that some powerups may be not get proper "screentime" this way.

EDIT: Finally managed to make the Whip correctly spawn away from player letting me to add the "streching out" arm sprite, but I fear that overall result is slightly worse than expected (personal opinion, I don't like that pose in general...!), thus I'll be able to update soon (= 16/20 hours from now) as Alpha 1.000.

Still, I want to note that both fire and Grand Cross effects (brightmaps/lights and-or particles) are lacking, and sadly there's nothing I can do about them .-.
Pink Baron

Re: [CV Gameplay Mod - A1.000] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Pink Baron »

EDIT: Version Alpha 1.000 released, see page 1.
CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
HolyHeadcrab

Post by HolyHeadcrab »

I'm having trouble getting the subweapons to work properly. The axe just immediately starts falling when I use it rather than being tossed upwards.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I guess just like the original game, you have to aim upwards to toss it more further.
HolyHeadcrab

Post by HolyHeadcrab »

Captain J wrote:I guess just like the original game, you have to aim upwards to toss it more further.
It never worked like that before I updated, though. I'm assuming the newer versions of GZDoom break the physics or something.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That's odd. Because in GZdoom g2.3.2(this latest version btw), the physics seems to be work fine. It's hard to hit and you gotta aim upward and more to throw it further, sure. But other than that, nothing's weird to me.

EDIT: AUTOAIM. Garg why did i even forgot about that?
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I noticed autoaim really screws up arcing weapons recently. Maybe try turning it off/down? Worked for the hand grenades I used in another mod....
HolyHeadcrab

Post by HolyHeadcrab »

It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't affecting the Holy Water's behavior too: It just kind of descends from the ceiling immediately as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”