Re: [WIP]Gunslinger 2.0[8/20/2022]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [WIP]Gunslinger 2.0[Demo 3/21/2016]

Post by xenoxols »

ImpieTwo wrote:
As a western fan and native Arizonan, this has me giggling like a schoolgirl.

I like the new revolvers better than the old --which were ugly and at a wonky angle -- but agree that they look a bit too modern. What about the pistol in the Blood Prequel? You could ask that dev to borrow the graphics.

Also agree that the double-barrel needs an alt fire, or should at least fire both barrels when the trigger is held down (the 30-30 should def have an aimed alt shot, though I'm sure you're working on that already). I don't think the guns are underpowered though, since one shot with the single-barrel seems to kill lost souls.

I'd also just use the 30-30 sound for the player pistol. It currently sounds more like an auto-shotgun than a heavy revolver.
Thanks for this video, and the other one too. I'll see about a sawed-off altfire.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

A good start towards a western-themed TC but I have some notes and suggestions:
  • I got killed by a puncher and it still says that "x was bitten by a demon". Maybe add some obituaries for the enemies?
  • Can you bind both shotguns to the same key (3)? It's awkward to switch the lever shotgun at 3 and the sawn-off at 5.
  • Ricochet sparks and sound effects would be a great addition to this mod.
  • Add voices for the enemies, preferably those from Outlaws or Redneck Rampage.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If I might offer a suggestion on the sound front, could you make the Wilhelm scream come up less frequently somehow?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

or better yet, there was multiple Wilhelm screams recorded. they're under free use so go for that as an option
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

wildweasel wrote:If I might offer a suggestion on the sound front, could you make the Wilhelm scream come up less frequently somehow?
I feel like a large part of the mod is the reliance on the Wilhelm scream for zombie deaths, since it's so referential to the movies and culture this mod draws from. If you can get away with the zombie sounds you did in DoomNukem (forgot the game you got them from, would like a reminder), surely the Wilhelm can here...in moderation. Never heard the other Wilhelm screams.

Finally played this and everything is pretty ideal. Only suggestion would be to increase the rate of fire for the rifle a pinch since it is a chaingun tier weapon.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

That gatling gun you showed earlier can replace the plasma rifle and maybe a Serious-Sam-styled portable cannon or blunderbuss of some sort can replace the BFG. Also, for enemies you can try adding a rifleman, a guy who throws TNT and maybe even some heavy weapon dudes to replace the larger demons.

Also, the Mauser feels kinda underwhelming since its semi-automatic nature makes it no faster than the revolver's alt-fire.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I'd say to keep the mauser the way it is. It's fast in firing and reloading, perfect to crowd control. Also, it has a low singular damage, isn't the best option to take regular baddies alone. That's where the 1887 or the revolvers get in.

If i need to take out the big ones, i use the blood double barreled and barely spend tnt's. Tnt's are better for surprise attacks.

And about the winchester rifle, i don't want to bother you guys again, but, before my post vanishes, has anyone experienced the same problem i posted before? It's the only reason I don't use it.

And finally, there's a gatling bandit on "a fistful of doom". It's the only one not used, i think. Do you plan to implement him, xenoxols?
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Hey, I don't know what's up with the rifle, it works fine for me. And yes, I'm planning to put in the gatling guy. I don't really have enough ideas for all the enemies, (especially flying ones) so I thought if I put in cultists and supernatural stuff it could work. Do you guys like that idea?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The main point of a minor rof boost to the mauser is for when mappers give you only the chaingun for a map or most of it, causing you to rely on it. Actually, perhaps just increasing its flinch rate would be better.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

The HUD has no indicators to show which keys I've collected.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks for the info, maybe it's my resolution. And, i like the idea.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

MJ79 wrote:The HUD has no indicators to show which keys I've collected.
Weird, it works for me. I'll have to tweak the SBARINFO some more then.
Flyingcomputer

Post by Flyingcomputer »

xenoxols wrote:
MJ79 wrote:The HUD has no indicators to show which keys I've collected.
Weird, it works for me. I'll have to tweak the SBARINFO some more then.
The hud works fine for me too so I wouldn't say it's a problem with the mod.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The only weird HUD thing I've noticed is the total blanking of the status bar so it makes the automap HUD and the normal HUD look like someone ripped off part of your screen. The custom fullscreen HUD works just fine for me too, sorry you're the only one experiencing this MJ79.

The one thing that I do feel strongly about being changed is the bounce factor of quick throw dynamite; it's not capable of low distance throws even if you do an absurd amount of rebounds with a low height throw. Original Blood had a good feel for it, allowing you to squeeze out some extra time by aiming high and giving it air time, but here it feels excessive. Other than that, after getting a good feel for the weapon damage, it feels on right on the money, so great work in that regard.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Some new screenies:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”