Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Postby Blackgrowl » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:06 am

Hey, could you make it so the fire-based weaponry, which this includes pretty much most if not all of BlastMaster's weaponry, have a "Fire" effect to it?

Not sure if you understand what I mean, but for example, I use a monster mod that has custom death animations for fire and they look absolutely amazing. Thought it would look great if I shot out an overheat fire bomb into an enemy and watch him burn. Or even more badass, if the firedrake shotgun fired up an enemy when he dies.
User avatar
Blackgrowl
 
Joined: 06 Oct 2019
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Postby Combine_Kegan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:06 am

Blackgrowl wrote:Hey, could you make it so the fire-based weaponry, which this includes pretty much most if not all of BlastMaster's weaponry, have a "Fire" effect to it?

Not sure if you understand what I mean, but for example, I use a monster mod that has custom death animations for fire and they look absolutely amazing. Thought it would look great if I shot out an overheat fire bomb into an enemy and watch him burn. Or even more badass, if the firedrake shotgun fired up an enemy when he dies.


I actually want to do some custom death animations for the Combined_Harms monster pack, though making something that'd work with all monster packs would be a pain.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Postby Blackgrowl » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:34 am

Combine_Kegan wrote:I actually want to do some custom death animations for the Combined_Harms monster pack, though making something that'd work with all monster packs would be a pain.


Will it? I have no idea how to make Doom mods, but I would have guessed that making "Fire" death animations work for virtually every monster pack is as simple as changing the "Damage Type" to "Fire" instead of "Ballistic" or so.

Either way, I'm more interested in your own monster mod, I hope it's challenging and smart, but most importantly, fun!
User avatar
Blackgrowl
 
Joined: 06 Oct 2019
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Postby Combine_Kegan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Blackgrowl wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:I actually want to do some custom death animations for the Combined_Harms monster pack, though making something that'd work with all monster packs would be a pain.


Will it? I have no idea how to make Doom mods, but I would have guessed that making "Fire" death animations work for virtually every monster pack is as simple as changing the "Damage Type" to "Fire" instead of "Ballistic" or so.

Either way, I'm more interested in your own monster mod, I hope it's challenging and smart, but most importantly, fun!


The kicker is you have to tell the monsters to specifically respond to that fire death with something like death.BlastMasterFire: and then go forward from there, not to mention sprites will be needed for each monster, and while I can provide what I need for Combined_Harms, I can't really do it for every monster ever, and doing a catchall generic death animation won't work for every monster either, seeing as you got weird shaped monsters like the cacodemon.

My monster mod already exists by the way, it should be on the itch.io page, though right now it's very unpolished.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Postby openroadracer » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:50 pm

So I've been trying out Combined Harms a little bit, and I've been having an issue: whenever I use a Super Shotgun at close range against the mod's Hell Nobles, Cacodemons or Pain Elementals, they spit out so many blood particles that it can bring the game to a crawl. Now, the Captain Obvious solution to this is just "don't Super Shotgun those enemies at that kind of range"; but if you're not getting close, why use the Super Shotgun to begin with?

(Okay, I've actually been playing a lot with Trailblazer, seeing as that just got a new update with a handful of new guns a few days ago; but seeing as how the Fleshrend is basically a Super Shotgun by another name, this feedback still stands.)

I wouldn't believe it to be my PC. I'm running an FX-9590 CPU and an R9 Fury GPU, and running the Vulkan renderer. I have GZDoom 4.3.3, so I'm up-to-date on that as well I believe.

I will have to say that I really like the Combined Harms Caco death, though, where it flies off like a leaking balloon. Pretty damn funny, actually.

EDIT: Okay, after playing around a bit more, it seems the slowdown mostly happens with enemies that have unique blood colors, so basically just the Hell Nobles and Cacos. Ity's still something I think should be looked into, if possible.
User avatar
openroadracer
 
Joined: 23 Sep 2019
Discord: Dump The Trump#5789
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Combined_Arms v1.4: Red hot Blastmaster MK2 edition!

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:35 pm

openroadracer wrote:So I've been trying out Combined Harms a little bit, and I've been having an issue: whenever I use a Super Shotgun at close range against the mod's Hell Nobles, Cacodemons or Pain Elementals, they spit out so many blood particles that it can bring the game to a crawl. Now, the Captain Obvious solution to this is just "don't Super Shotgun those enemies at that kind of range"; but if you're not getting close, why use the Super Shotgun to begin with?

(Okay, I've actually been playing a lot with Trailblazer, seeing as that just got a new update with a handful of new guns a few days ago; but seeing as how the Fleshrend is basically a Super Shotgun by another name, this feedback still stands.)

I wouldn't believe it to be my PC. I'm running an FX-9590 CPU and an R9 Fury GPU, and running the Vulkan renderer. I have GZDoom 4.3.3, so I'm up-to-date on that as well I believe.

I will have to say that I really like the Combined Harms Caco death, though, where it flies off like a leaking balloon. Pretty damn funny, actually.

EDIT: Okay, after playing around a bit more, it seems the slowdown mostly happens with enemies that have unique blood colors, so basically just the Hell Nobles and Cacos. Ity's still something I think should be looked into, if possible.


This is on me, my bad. Don't worry though, I'm gonna redo the blood effects soon for Combined_Harms, as right now it spawns WAY too many blood actors on hit, and it gets really bad when you use ripper weapons or stuff that fires a bunch of projectiles at once.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Linz, namsan, SirXOfTheFactor, Starman the Blaziken and 16 guests