LegenDoom [2.8.3] - LDL [4.2]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: LegenDoom [2.2] - LDL [2.0]

Post by wildweasel »

AvzinElkein wrote:Apparently, a spell in Guncaster dealt so much damage, it killed an enemy that was supposed to turn legendary first.
This is a known thing. Even some of regular LegenDoom's weapons can do this; for example, point blank a legendary zombie with the super shotgun or a berserk fist. He won't have the chance to mutate but will still drop his item. If you're not playing with a health bar mod, it adds a layer of strategy of whether it's worth using tons of ammo to one shot kill a monster that might not be legendary.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the Crippling effect doesn't seem to do work. the icon shows up, but the damage debuff doesn't seem to work at all.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the Crippling effect doesn't seem to do work. the icon shows up, but the damage debuff doesn't seem to work at all.
Working fine here.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I discovered the lunging fist makes for a great alternative to the jump button in mapsets that disable jumping.

The steady shot thing's no good in mapsets that disable crouching.

And just to make sure, is the "Perfect" effect only for the chaingun? I kinda see a Perfect Chaingun being quite effective, and the gun jamming on missing isn't too bad.
Viscra Maelstrom

personally, i've only found Perfect Pistols, so i'm assuming the effect is available for at least all hitscan guns.
Yholl wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the Crippling effect doesn't seem to do work. the icon shows up, but the damage debuff doesn't seem to work at all.
Working fine here.
i think this one is on me. for whatever reason, i thought Crippling was supposed to make the enemy receive more damage, not deal out less. heh. and i'm someone who actually played Fallout 3, so i don't have any excuse here. :P

Resupplying is such a good effect in secret though. who needs ammo management when you can just get 100 rockets and flamethrower everything away? :twisted:

which reminds me, Blazing BFG doesn't do anything to bosses. i'm assuming this is because Blazing deals radius damage or something, which Cyberdemons and the like are immune to. maybe make Blazing have the +FORCERADIUSDMG flag? or would that make the effect too strong?

edit: Blazing Rocket Launcher consumes ammo when under the effect of Action Hero/Endless.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

dljosef wrote:The steady shot thing's no good in mapsets that disable crouching.
I'll see if I can disable it spawning if crouching is disabled.
dljosef wrote:And just to make sure, is the "Perfect" effect only for the chaingun? I kinda see a Perfect Chaingun being quite effective, and the gun jamming on missing isn't too bad.
Pistol and Chaingun only.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i think this one is on me.
Ah, hehe, no worries then.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:which reminds me, Blazing BFG doesn't do anything to bosses.
Ah rip, I'll put that on my todo list.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:Blazing Rocket Launcher consumes ammo when under the effect of Action Hero/Endless.
Oh whoops! Onto the list it goes.
Viscra Maelstrom

i should have clarified about Blazing BFG: it painstuns bosses just fine, but it doesn't do any actual damage to them (drained an entire magazine into a Cyberdemon to test this out). i don't know if that matters much, but i thought i'd clarify what part of the BFG didn't actually work.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

So I tried using an Action Hero weapon effect and an Unfathomable Super Shotgun, and it froze my game when it fired up until the effect ran out.
Makes sense in a way, though quite an irritant since now the weapon is useless against multiple high class targets. Also shows an interesting change in shot locations.

Viscra Maelstrom

so the Raycaster Rocket Launcher is kind of... really powerful. one or two rockets is enough to utterly demolish clusters of enemies at a decent enough distance, and a couple of rockets is enough to get rid of bosses. there is the risk of blowing yourself up in the process, but otherwise maybe it should get a slight nerf?

Gyrojet is also a really powerful effect. i don't think it needs to be changed since it's not quite as "fire and forget" as Raycaster, but i would like to mention that the Plasmatic effect, in comparison, feels rather underpowered as a result, despite being in the same tier. i dunno what the differences are between the effects aside from Gyrojet being a lot more powerful, but since Gyrojet is so strong, maybe Plasmatic should be moved down a tier? because they seem to do the same kind of thing already, just that Gyrojet outclasses it in damage (as well as NOISE when on the SSG, haha).

lastly, Upgrading Super Shotgun doesn't get a speed boost. i don't know if this is because Upgrading weapons have different effects, but from what i saw, all of them have roughly the same kinds of upgrades, the speed boost included, which the SSG doesn't get. however the SSG seems to be slightly stronger than other Upgrading weapons are, so... intentional?
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

Either it's endemic of the twzone.wad (Paul Corfiatis' The Twilight Zone megawad), but when I beat it, I got sent back to the beginning of the final level in the condition I had left it in. This happened just now with version 2.2 using GZDoom 3.4.1.
Viscra Maelstrom

Pristine Plasma Rifle's effect doesn't seem to work like the other Pristine weapons.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

ZikShadow wrote:So I tried using an Action Hero weapon effect and an Unfathomable Super Shotgun, and it froze my game when it fired up until the effect ran out.
Fun fact, the way Unfathomable deals with infinite ammo is that it fires 1 shot per second of infinite ammo you have, and removes the powerup. So 15 seconds of infinite ammo will fire 15 shots.
ZikShadow wrote:Makes sense in a way, though quite an irritant since now the weapon is useless against multiple high class targets.
I mean, it always was. It's Unfathomable, you fire it once.
ZikShadow wrote:Also shows an interesting change in shot locations.
Hahahaha, whoops.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:so the Raycaster Rocket Launcher is kind of... really powerful. one or two rockets is enough to utterly demolish clusters of enemies at a decent enough distance, and a couple of rockets is enough to get rid of bosses. there is the risk of blowing yourself up in the process, but otherwise maybe it should get a slight nerf?
maaaaybe
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i dunno what the differences are between the effects aside from Gyrojet being a lot more powerful, but since Gyrojet is so strong, maybe Plasmatic should be moved down a tier? because they seem to do the same kind of thing already, just that Gyrojet outclasses it in damage (as well as NOISE when on the SSG, haha).
I think I'll try and make em more unwieldy to use.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:lastly, Upgrading Super Shotgun doesn't get a speed boost.
Hmm, I musta arsed something up in it. Will check it out!
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:Pristine Plasma Rifle's effect doesn't seem to work like the other Pristine weapons.
I'll take a look.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

unfathomable + infinite ammo seems like a rotten deal
most weapons fire faster than once per second
poweruptics / firerate_in_tics = number of shots ?

some tier based balancing i don't really get
point blank and cqc: same downside, one lets you have more ammo, the other just kills things more effectively and more efficiently
short range is just a worse version of twinshot
illegal's downside is hardly noticable when you have an infinite ammo RL/PG/BFG, and i don't think i've actually seen it properly in action

overkill launcher takes only 1 rocket, the explosion radius is hard to gauge as the visuals don't match, and fires super slow
i have 100 rockets, just let me use them
not even the 'single shot' unfathomable has a delay after firing
Viscra Maelstrom

Suspenseful effect seems to be a bit too random in how it works. i've had instances where it kills a baron in a single hit on the SSG, and another where it barely seems to have any discernible effect on one, both being at full charge.

how does scaling with Thematic weapons go? i thought i had it figured out, but having 3 Thematic weapons didn't seem to alter the shotgun any farther than if i had only 2 Thematics on me.

having a clearer meter to see how much Bloody Chainsaw is charged would be nice to have. maybe if the meter only gets filled for every 5th kill you get, as opposed to it gaining a small pip for every kill you get now, would make it easier to keep track of how much charge it's got. it's not a big deal though, it just would make things a bit clearer IMO.

Blazing Plasma Rifle seems a bit weaker than a standard Plasma Rifle? it just seemed to eat through ammo at a drastic pace compared to Blazing BFG and Rocket Launcher did.

One Punch Melee seems a bit unreliable, maybe? i find it difficult to judge how to get the most efficient row of kills with it. on that note, Northern Star Melee is one of the most OP things in the mod, able to painstun bosses to death, even if they are legendary.

some of the new effects where you gain a stackable powerup on kill doesn't seem to scale as well as the old ones. e.g. Murderous BFG would gain a big stack of powerup when killing one enemy, but Action Hero BFG does not for instance.

Sluggish BFG is maybe a bit too stronk for the tier it's in, having no problem tearing up even legendary bosses with a few shots. it could perhaps be toned down a bit, as right now it's one of the most powerful BFG effects there is.

having Blaster Melee as an option to turn on like the other melee options would be nice, i think, and maybe Lunging as well.

edit: okay, forget Sluggish BFG, Nova BFG just flatout kills Cyberdemons in one hit. i think it needs a nerf, heh.

edit 2: Scavenging doesn't seem to work on Legendary enemies. i also feel that the Patient effect should be saved if you switch away from the weapon. it's a bit unwieldy to use the effect because you have to keep it up all the time to charge it, but that might not be viable to do all the time
comet1337 wrote:unfathomable + infinite ammo seems like a rotten deal

short range is just a worse version of twinshot
Unfathomable and infinite ammo essentially means you get free shots that is powerful enough to KO or majorly damage boss enemies in an instant. it's the only instance i can think of where you can easily get rid of a boss enemy so quickly.

Short Range is triple the damage i believe, with massively increased amount of pellets that has more hitstun. it's not really worse on the SSG for example.
Last edited by Viscra Maelstrom on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yholl

Re: LegenDoom [2.3] - LDL [2.0]

Post by Yholl »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:Suspenseful effect seems to be a bit too random in how it works.
I'll take a look at some point maybe possibly I promise nothing.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:how does scaling with Thematic weapons go?
2x, 3x, 4x etc.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:some of the new effects where you gain a stackable powerup on kill doesn't seem to scale as well as the old ones. e.g. Murderous BFG would gain a big stack of powerup when killing one enemy, but Action Hero BFG does not for instance.
Action Hero works off of ammo pickups. In the case of Endless, dunno, didn't want you to just W+M1 through the levels after killing a single thing.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:edit: okay, forget Sluggish BFG, Nova BFG just flatout kills Cyberdemons in one hit. i think it needs a nerf, heh.
NEVER
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:edit 2: Scavenging doesn't seem to work on Legendary enemies.
Intentional.

Version 2.3 is now out, with a few fixes and stuff. I've been having computer troubles lately, so there was a bit of a delay, sorry bout that.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”