[EDGE-Classic] Duke it Out in DOOM (v2.9)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CeeJay

[EDGE-Classic] Duke it Out in DOOM (v2.9)

Post by CeeJay »

An action-packed gameplay mod that puts you in the boots of the political incorrect but lovable ass-kicking macho-man Duke Nukem. Crammed full of of 80's/90's action movie throwbacks and pop culture references. Featuring an impressive arsenal of super deadly, sneaky and devastating weapons and a colorful and humorous collection of power-ups and pickups. Full of witty one-liners from Duke himself and plenty of blood, guts and gore. 8)

"ACTION 1" key activates Beer and "ACTION 2" key toggles Night-Vision (when these are available, see icons on the far right of the HUD).

Mod requires the latest version of the EDGE-Classic engine (see below) and a Doom or Doom II IWAD.

Get latest version of EDGE-Classic here: https://github.com/dashodanger/edge-classic/

Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-it-out-in-doom

Article/review by Leif Johnson: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/playin ... un-as-hell
Mention at PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/mods-bring-pokem ... ew-valley/
Modinformer review:
Spoiler:
GmanLives' Mod Corner:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by CeeJay on Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:30 am, edited 48 times in total.
RUNSABER

Re: [3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM

Post by RUNSABER »

My first log-in after being gone from the ZDoom forums for a bit and the first thing I see is more amazing work from you Ceej :) Killtacular. :D I'll give this a run here and bug-smash from my perspective if needed! If I weren't so slow at mapping I'd cook you up a demo map to present! That railgun in particular looks hella gnarly!
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Looking good.
Is it compatible with (g)zdoom? Or do I *have* to download EDGE?
Edit: Yep, seems it doesn't work with zdoom.
Edit 2: Huh, at least 3DGE share some of the same command parameters of ZDoom, it was easy to configure.
Edit 3: God damn it, 3GDE control configuration is a buggy pain in the ass...
Last edited by LkMax on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I thought this was gonna be the duke it out in DC maps ported to Doom.
Weapons are very fun to use, this is probably one of the better Duke in Doom mods out there!
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

This was an amazing mod and i had tons of fun with it for the past couple hours. :mrgreen: I'd be even more excited if this was ported to GZDooM.

Keep up the awesome work CeeJay you never make me disappointed when it comes to your mods. :D
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:I thought this was gonna be the duke it out in DC maps ported to Doom.
Weapons are very fun to use, this is probably one of the better Duke in Doom mods out there!
Thank you. Sorry 'bout giving you false expectations, titles has never been my strong suit.
cem26

Post by cem26 »

Well, is there any gzdoom ver?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

No, there is not.
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

cem26 wrote:Well, is there any gzdoom ver?
You're joking right? I was only asking if he was going to make one out of curiosity of course there isn't a GZDoom version.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Hey, just wanted to say this mod is great, and here some feedback. Firstly, the super asap gotta fix it stuff:

-Green vision when picking up the boots... there's got to be a better way.
-Explodey shotgun is super op, fires lazer rocket slugs that kill hordes way to well; consider breaking up the shot into pellets and reducing explosion radius... this makes the gun more effective against bigger enemies , without having the super crazy explosion radius insta kill effect on hordes; still would be a good hall clearer.
-normal shotgun is weak, there is nothing to bridge the gap of the super shotgun. the answer? wgrealms super shotgun. this game needs it... doom2 is basically a super shotgun simulator; pretty much the whole game revolves around it. please consider adding a double barrel... and nerfing the exploding shotgun. case in point: duke plus has one.
-raygun stinks. im sorry, i tried to like it, but its out of place, made useless by other guns, namely the exploding shotgun, ripper, or rocket launcher. it really doesnt add anything. I would suggest simply taking it out; the bfg replacement and the freeze ray and the shrinker/expander pretty much do anything you'd need, raygun is pretty lame compared to those other guns... if you do decide to keep it, it needs to be alot stronger, and the projectile needs longer effective range.
-show the pipebomb some love; explosions are weak, and you cant throw more than one. either make it where you can throw more than one or make individual pipebombs better. maybe have them shoot out a little shrapnel?

Here are some things i did like that needs some tweaks:

-Pistol is always useful, and magnum rounds are great! i would suggest making the pistols 1.5 x 1.5 or 2x2 inaccuracy, just to make them a little less OP at distance. duke is a up close fella. Oh and... maybe add a lasersight? not sure if thats possible, but it'd be cool. and on the really really extra terrific, pleased as punch if you did it side of things, perhaps akimbo pistols? not necessarily faster or anything, just less reloads... and they look cool; perhaps as a upgrade you get when you pick up an extra pistol. not expecting you to do that at all, but it would be neat.
-ripper gun sounds and feels great, but is really loosey goosey. i'm more of a fan of games that let me decide how to play, so when i want to hose down a hallway i prefer to have to move the mouse myself... sure a little inaccuracy is ok, but it just seems pretty far out there. I mean 8 x4 is crazy, 4x2 seemed just fine... perhaps just do 2x2 and 4x4 for the two ripper attacks?
-i liked the way you handled berserk as a limited time deal, but i'd like to see a speed increase and maybe even a little damage resistance to go with it. berserk in doom lasted the whole level, but in this its just gone.
-i'd like to see a finished jetpack, i see some RTS code there and hope to see it some day. not sure it'd be possible in edge, but if anyone would know how to do it it'd be you or coraline.

Good luck, great job, looking to see more.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Hey, just wanted to say this mod is great, and here some feedback.
Thank you.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-Green vision when picking up the boots... there's got to be a better way.
If you are referring to the pick-up flash or screen effects, those are both hard-coded and can't be altered I believe.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-Explodey shotgun is super op, fires lazer rocket slugs that kill hordes way to well; consider breaking up the shot into pellets and reducing explosion radius... this makes the gun more effective against bigger enemies , without having the super crazy explosion radius insta kill effect on hordes; still would be a good hall clearer.
Yeah, but ammo for it is rare (provided you play properly and don't cheat) and the max ammo count is very low.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-normal shotgun is weak, there is nothing to bridge the gap of the super shotgun. the answer? wgrealms super shotgun. this game needs it... doom2 is basically a super shotgun simulator; pretty much the whole game revolves around it. please consider adding a double barrel... and nerfing the exploding shotgun. case in point: duke plus has one.
Actually more powerful and slightly more accurate than DOOM's vanilla shotgun, I think it's fine they way it is. No double-barrel, sorry. The rail gun takes the place of the super shotgun.

EDIT: The shotgun fires 7 pellets, each delivering 10 to 15 damage. Vanilla DOOM's shotgun fires 7 pellets but delivering 5 to 15 damage. So the shotgun here has a higher damage output.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-raygun stinks. im sorry, i tried to like it, but its out of place, made useless by other guns, namely the exploding shotgun, ripper, or rocket launcher. it really doesnt add anything. I would suggest simply taking it out; the bfg replacement and the freeze ray and the shrinker/expander pretty much do anything you'd need, raygun is pretty lame compared to those other guns... if you do decide to keep it, it needs to be alot stronger, and the projectile needs longer effective range.
You mean the shrink ray/expander weapons? They are the most iconic Duke3D weapons, I can't imagine a Duke-themed mod without them. The shrink ray is very useful in maps where you have sudden encounters with larger enemies among otherwise smaller ones. It does NOT stink.

EDIT: What do you mean the shrink ray is weak? It shrinks enemies with a single shot.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-show the pipebomb some love; explosions are weak, and you cant throw more than one. either make it where you can throw more than one or make individual pipebombs better. maybe have them shoot out a little shrapnel?
The explosions are not weak, should be just as much as an RPG but with a higher splash damage. The pipe bomb is the weapon I've spend most time and effort on to get them functioning somewhat like they do in Duke3D. They have received plenty of love and are close to perfection. To throw multiple pipe bombs, switch to another weapon and then back again. A bit clunky, yes, but works.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-Pistol is always useful, and magnum rounds are great! i would suggest making the pistols 1.5 x 1.5 or 2x2 inaccuracy, just to make them a little less OP at distance. duke is a up close fella. Oh and... maybe add a lasersight? not sure if thats possible, but it'd be cool. and on the really really extra terrific, pleased as punch if you did it side of things, perhaps akimbo pistols? not necessarily faster or anything, just less reloads... and they look cool; perhaps as a upgrade you get when you pick up an extra pistol. not expecting you to do that at all, but it would be neat.
The pistol is supposed to be very accurate, that's the whole point of the weapon. It's for those sniping situations when dealing with smaller enemies, whereas the Magnum/Rail Gun is the one to use for the bigger guys. I did tried making a laser sight effect in various different ways but it just didn't look right.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-ripper gun sounds and feels great, but is really loosey goosey. i'm more of a fan of games that let me decide how to play, so when i want to hose down a hallway i prefer to have to move the mouse myself... sure a little inaccuracy is ok, but it just seems pretty far out there. I mean 8 x4 is crazy,
4x2 seemed just fine... perhaps just do 2x2 and 4x4 for the two ripper attacks?
"loosey goosey"??? The ripper loses accuracy drastically when firing full auto (holding down the trigger), so try short controlled bursts.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-i liked the way you handled berserk as a limited time deal, but i'd like to see a speed increase and maybe even a little damage resistance to go with it. berserk in doom lasted the whole level, but in this its just gone.
Time-based because that's how they function in Duke3D. About double the time of the original. They DO increase your speed along with higher jump height and increased strength.
Crudux Cruo wrote:-i'd like to see a finished jetpack, i see some RTS code there and hope to see it some day. not sure it'd be possible in edge, but if anyone would know how to do it it'd be you or coraline.
There is a jetpack, has been since the early days of EDGE.

EDIT: The mod is designed to have you regularly switch between different weapons for different situations, a little more strategic. The shotgun has the highest priority since it is the most all-around weapon.
Last edited by CeeJay on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

I don't like the movement or "feel" of 3DGE at all, which is a shame because the mod is pretty cool but not worth it. =\
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

LkMax wrote:I don't like the movement or "feel" of 3DGE at all, which is a shame because the mod is pretty cool but not worth it. =\
Same thing goes for me, I've always disliked Edge and 3dge's stupid DDF Files meaning you can't use cheats like "Give all" or "IDDQD" which pretty much sucks for the most part.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Luigi2600 wrote:
LkMax wrote:I don't like the movement or "feel" of 3DGE at all, which is a shame because the mod is pretty cool but not worth it. =\
Same thing goes for me, I've always disliked Edge and 3dge's stupid DDF Files meaning you can't use cheats like "Give all" or "IDDQD" which pretty much sucks for the most part.
You can't use "give" commands because it's source port implementation, but Doom cheat's like IDKFA works just fine (I tested it to see all weapons modified).
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

All of DOOMs vanilla cheat codes work fine in EDGE/3DGE. IDDQD, IDFA, IDKFA, etc. Those console commands came from Quake-engine games and implemented in ZDoom (back when Quake and its sequel were very popular). They did not exist in vanilla DOOM, not even a console at all, so I don't see the issue here.

As for the movement, I can always tweak the players speed and head bobbing but I would need a little more specified information. I can a difference (though minor in my eyes) from 3DGE and ZDoom but not what exactly the difference is.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”