[EDGE-Classic] Duke it Out in DOOM (v2.9)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Adumb

Re: [3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM (headshot!)

Post by Adumb »

CeeJay wrote: Don't know what else to do with it, any ideas are welcomed.

I'll give it some thought and add it to my to-do list.
The weapon itself works fine. It's good for clearing out decently sized lower ranked mobs. I feel the problem comes with the feedback of the actual firing. The projectile just seems to swim right past people and it's hard to tell if it's doing anything.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Adumb wrote:The weapon itself works fine. It's good for clearing out decently sized lower ranked mobs. I feel the problem comes with the feedback of the actual firing. The projectile just seems to swim right past people and it's hard to tell if it's doing anything.
Hmm, perhaps I could increase its X and Y radius.
Adumb

Post by Adumb »

Maybe make the projectile look and feel a bit more solid. Sometimes I feel like I'm leading the shot WAY more than I actually should be. It's just a bit too transparent and slow moving, and being a "railgun", it just seems a bit off.

The damage seems just fine to me, though. Really good weapon for cleaning house. Maybe just make it a bit more practical at longer range.
BFG

Post by BFG »

One of my favorite Duke wads. Does the new versions of EDGE have PNGs? Because I remember EDGE could read multiple palette files, if you were to put different palettes into each wad then it could read multiple ones, where as ZDoom could only read one at a time.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

BFG wrote:One of my favorite Duke wads. Does the new versions of EDGE have PNGs? Because I remember EDGE could read multiple palette files, if you were to put different palettes into each wad then it could read multiple ones, where as ZDoom could only read one at a time.
Yes, EDGE/3DGE supports PNG among other formats. Not sure about the multiple palettes, but I think it should be possible to use multiple palettes in the way you mentioned.

EDIT:
Sounds: Doom Wave, Wave, OGG Vorbis
Music: MUS, Ogg Vorbis
(3D) Models: MD2 (Quake II), MD3 (Quake III), MD5
CeeJay

Re: [3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM

Post by CeeJay »

First post updated
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I've only just now gotten around to playing with this, and this is probably one of the most polished 3DGE mods I've played in a really long time. It's all really consistent with itself, nothing sticks out in a bad way or anything.
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Does this work with the older duke mod for EDGE, or will there be conflicts?

If conflicts..

Are there any vanilla wads that restrict enemies to next- level ranks (shotgunners instead of zombiemen, barons insted of imps)?

I'm not quite ready for death by pig cop, but should I feel the need for some cranked enemies, I'm open to suggestions.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

wildweasel wrote:I've only just now gotten around to playing with this, and this is probably one of the most polished 3DGE mods I've played in a really long time. It's all really consistent with itself, nothing sticks out in a bad way or anything.
Weasel's official stamp of approval :)

Thank you.
zZaRDoZz wrote:Does this work with the older duke mod for EDGE, or will there be conflicts?

If conflicts..

Are there any vanilla wads that restrict enemies to next- level ranks (shotgunners instead of zombiemen, barons insted of imps)?

I'm not quite ready for death by pig cop, but should I feel the need for some cranked enemies, I'm open to suggestions.
This is its own thing, It has nothing to do with that old mod I don't even think I used any code from it, everything was done from scratch. The vanilla enemies were beefed-up a bit for this mod. Increased sight angle, meaner attacks, etc. to compensate for the fact that the arsenal is bigger and deadlier and there's more health at your disposal.

I know of no such mod, at least not that would be compatible with this one. You can play some slaughter maps, such as Hell Revealed, along with the mod if you find things too easy for you.
CeeJay

Re: [3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM (v1.5 coming soon)

Post by CeeJay »

Well, good news.

I took a deep breath and submerged myself into the code to re-work the shrinker. Not only is it now more reliable but it also no longer causes enemies to bleed and the monsters will eventually return to their natural size. Drawback is that they count as a kill (at the intermission) as soon as they get shrunk, same thing goes for the freezethrower. There seem to be no way around this. In the process I did also fix a bug with the kill count at the intermission screen (you could get a double count for shrunken and frozen enemies). Next release will feature this along with lots of new custom enemy death animations and improved pipebombs among other stuff.

Any creative feedback would be ideal at this point.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Did that expander weapon get beefed up as well? It seems pretty weak at the moment.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I can beef it up a bit, as it is it is rather accurate to the Duke3D counterpart which is why I initially increased its max ammo limit. Maximum ammo capacity for the chaingun will be lowered to 200 in the upcoming release for balancing purposes, I find myself rarely running out of ammo for it and when I do it don't take long before I am stocked up again. This way, it'll force the player to use the pistol more which is quite useful, especially with headshots. And there'll be more pipebombs, two per item as opposed to just a single.

Any recommendations, bug reports are welcomed at this point.
CeeJay

Re: [3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM (v1.5 release)

Post by CeeJay »

Version 1.5 uploaded!

List of changes:
Spoiler:
Coraline

Re: [3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM (v1.5 release)

Post by Coraline »

Just FYI: made a new release of 3DGE, v2.0.3, so anyone playing this should update to the new EXE. Link is in the 3DGE thread in Off-Topic ;-)
CeeJay

Re: [3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM (v1.5 release & 3DGE 2.0.3)

Post by CeeJay »

I've provided a link at the first post and updated the subject.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”