ARACNOCIDE 2.7 (Updated 03/Sep/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Aracnocide V5 [28/10/18] Back to Zandronum!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Gideon020 wrote: Damn right it's low. It took until level 14 of Whispers Of Satan to get two upgrade boxes and I was lucky enough to get them in the same level and secret area, and Whispers Of Satan basically throws Backpacks at you. :shock:

I was disappointed I couldn't upgrade Marion's shotgun-pistol though, but at least the upgraded SMG and Light Pistol made up for it.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed that even if you're full on ammo, you'll still pick-up dropped enemy guns in the weapon's only mod.
I have plans for more upgrades for both Marion and Stella. However, there's something i need to fix code-wise. As for the weapons, i'll answer this one along erni945 questions.
Gideon020 wrote:Found another bug, but I think it's with the mapset. When playing Epic 2, the weapon that spawns in the third level's Super Shotgun spawner is a vanilla Super Shotgun instead of the Arachnocide/Arachnocide Weapons Pack version.
Strange. Which class were you playing with? Could you try to summon a common Super Shotgun via console? If it returns the specific class Super Shotgun, then it must be a scripted SSG in the map. To be completely sure, i would load the "Use to Pickup" mod along to see the name of the actor, or remove other mods loaded.
erni945 wrote:Hey GAA, just some time ago I tried your latest version of Aracnocide and decided to express your opinion on this version but this opinion applies only to the version with weapons because I did not play the full version because I suffer from arachnoophobia but to the point, describe my feelings in terms of form:

Derrick Wolfe - Very nice character and has a lot of nice weapons, but I do not like that sprite character is a Ranger from Quake I, I think it should be a completely different sprite here

Blake Klieesen - Also a nice character and probably the most favorite, has a very good arsenal and I like the changed sprite rifles and their sounds, shooting with them is just a pleasure, only when it comes to chainsaw that I think it should be fueled like a flamethrower. As for the sprite of a character, I do not understand this procedure just like in the case of a sprite, the freedoom sprite is terrible in my opinion , but I do not understand why the doomguy is inserted in this form, I think the appearance of this character should be quite different.

Marion Callahan - In my opinion, a very good character and has a quite good arsenal, I do not have any more comments about her.

Stella Gibson - An interesting character and I think you've done well that you put a woman here, it adds a bit of variety and besides, it reminds me of Ellen Ripley a bit . This is an arsenal of very cool, sprite figures alright. :wink:

General mistakes which at least I have noticed so far, one that you can pick up weapons with ammunition from enemies even though you already have the maximum amount. I hope that my opinion will be helpful :wink:
Thanks both of you guys! To answer your opinions in order:

Derrick just had the Quake ranger portrait in older versions, but i forgot the sprite in there. I'll get a better one once i'm on this mod again. As for Blake, i thought it was too lazy of me to leave the original doomguy sprites, so i kept the FreeDoom ones.

And the chainsaw. I would love to make it use fuel like it was before, but, if i do that, there won't be a Cell weapon aside from the BFG 2704, and picking too much Cells without having a BFG would probably make your gameplay harder, as you won't have too much to use.

I haven't tried hard to solve the ammunition problem, but my bet is on making weapons checking inventories for ammo and jumping to a fail state. I can't promise a new update soon, but, um, who knows. I might come back to this tomorrow if i get in the mood. =p
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

GAA1992 wrote:
Strange. Which class were you playing with? Could you try to summon a common Super Shotgun via console? If it returns the specific class Super Shotgun, then it must be a scripted SSG in the map. To be completely sure, i would load the "Use to Pickup" mod along to see the name of the actor, or remove other mods loaded.
So I just tested, using Blake Kleissen, and the Minigun showed up in that spot and the summon code dropped the mod's supershotgun for him, both the minigun and the double-barrel, so either it was one of the other mods or it's something in the map code and in that case there's nothing that can be done to fix it. :?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Just so people know, the latest devbuild of GZDoom past the 15th of November breaks the weapon upgrade system, which I discovered by loading base Doom 2 and testing on Map 01. I had to go back to the 13th of November Devbuild to get it working without crashing again.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

That's really odd. What happens when you try? Does it returns nothing? The game crashes? The weapon to be upgraded stays in the inventory? Give us some details for a better comprehension.

In case the devs want sone info on how it works, the upgrade gives the player a token, and if the ready state checks that token it jumps to a state where it plays an animation, gives the upgraded weapon, takes the older one and selects the new one displaying sone stats in the screen via a_print. I think thid sums up.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

GAA1992 wrote:That's really odd. What happens when you try? Does it returns nothing? The game crashes? The weapon to be upgraded stays in the inventory? Give us some details for a better comprehension.

In case the devs want sone info on how it works, the upgrade gives the player a token, and if the ready state checks that token it jumps to a state where it plays an animation, gives the upgraded weapon, takes the older one and selects the new one displaying sone stats in the screen via a_print. I think thid sums up.
Sorry, I should've put this in. But basically, when you pick up the upgrade box and activate it with the appropriate weapon, it goes through the upgrade bar animation, but instead of the new weapon sprites appearing, it shows the upgrade info text, and then hard crashes to desktop every time. I basically went backwards through the devbuilds to the 13th of November before it stopped happening. :(
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Maybe it's something with the A_SelectWeapon command? I'll try a little patch at home.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

GAA1992 wrote:Maybe it's something with the A_SelectWeapon command? I'll try a little patch at home.
I'm sorry I can't give you more details, I'm not enough of a script kiddy to dig into the guts.
litb

Post by litb »

I've discoverd a bug in the animation of the minigun, when you use the secondary fire and let it spin up it stops spinning after you kick and can reload it without first makeing it actually stop spinning.
If you shoot again after you stopped its animation, you return to the spin up state.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thank you buddy, this was a oversight on my part. ;)
LOLANONIMUS

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hola soy nuevo y pregunto habra un mapa que pase la historia de este mod bueno la de cada uno de los personajes pregunto?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

No, lo siento! :p

I ain't no mapper, but Mosshopper on doomworld has made one on the first page. :)
IDKrisis

Post by IDKrisis »

Hi, I recently decided to try this mod and enjoyed it, but I encountered something odd. I came across some giant wasps, but they were friendly. They don't attack me, but they do attack the other bugs. Is this intentional? It just seems strange in a mod where you're supposed to be fighting giant bugs.

EDIT: This actually happened on the Hives of Madness maps. As far as I have seen, this doesn't occur elsewhere.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

If it doesn't happens anywhere else, maybe it could be the map, where Mosshopper placed friendly enemies. I don't think i can exactly fix now, but i can try to talk to him.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

So, not to be That Guy and thus a complete asshole, but has anybody managed to find a way to fix the state-call error with the upgrade box in either the main mod or the weapons pack on either v3.7.2 or any devbuild? I keep trying to get a screenshot of the error to show what I mean but it refuses to cooperate once it hard-crashes to the console so I had to write it down:
'VM Execution Aborted: ARRGWPC.StateFunction.1 called without valid caller. ARRGWPC Expected.'

Again, apologies for bumping this.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Oops. I've been working with the authors where possible to solve this problem in other mods, and I didn't realize until recently that this is one of them. I've passed the details onto GAA1992 so he can hopefully have it fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for the reminder.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”