Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 3915302 (June 12, 2020)

Postby DrR0Ck » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:51 pm

A couple of things I am seeing: Beautiful Doom will not allow builds after 4.5 pre 305 to launch. Since 4.5 has officially been released, it would be great to see a compatibility update.

Another thing I have noticed is that recent builds of BD in recent working builds of GZDoom, the files over corpses buzzing sound is not playing correctly. Near as I can tell, the effect hasn't changed, so something must be different in GZDoom to be causing the issue.

Thanks!
DrR0Ck

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby dddstudio » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:56 am

Thanks very much for this mod. I'm new - but so far this is the most fun I have had with a Doom enhancement mod. I also confirm that there are problems with the newest official GZDOOM release. An update would be highly appreciated.
dddstudio

Postby DrR0Ck » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:48 am

The error that is crashing Doom on newer builds/4.5 release throws the below error:

Attempt to spawn an instance of abstract actor class BD_BaseFlare
VM execution aborted: tried to write to address zero.
Called from BD_ExplosiveBarrel.Tick at Beautiful-Doom-master_20200913_GB.pk3:z_bdoom/o_misc.zc, line 345

Interestingly, I don't see the error on a level with no Barrels: i.e. Doom 2 MAP01.

Hope this helps. I'm not really well versed in programming, but I'm going to dig a bit deeper to see what I can determine.
DrR0Ck

Postby Korell » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:19 pm

I think the error is because of the incorrect definition for BD_baseFlare. It says that it is an abstract, and on the Beautiful Doom Github there was a change 10 days ago for the following: "Fixed BD_baseFlare being incorrectly defined as abstract".
So it looks like time to download the latest files and try that instead.

EDIT: Yep, using the latest files works just fine with 4.5.0.
Korell

Postby dddstudio » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:27 pm

Korell wrote:I think the error is because of the incorrect definition for BD_baseFlare. It says that it is an abstract, and on the Beautiful Doom Github there was a change 10 days ago for the following: "Fixed BD_baseFlare being incorrectly defined as abstract".

Yeah, this fixed it. Thanks for the tip.
dddstudio

Postby DrR0Ck » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Korell wrote:I think the error is because of the incorrect definition for BD_baseFlare. It says that it is an abstract, and on the Beautiful Doom Github there was a change 10 days ago for the following: "Fixed BD_baseFlare being incorrectly defined as abstract".

Confirmed here as well! Thanks!

Edit - FYI, the Flies above corpses sound effect is still not playing properly. Haven't noticed other sounds similarly affected.
DrR0Ck

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Just popping in to say that BD_BaseFlare and corpse flies sound bug have been fixed. More news on my discord https://discord.gg/MJGdYjk ;)
Jekyll Grim Payne

Discord: Agent_Ash#4401
Github ID: jekyllgrim
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 7.0.0 (March 18, 2020)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:36 pm

Version 7.0.0 (March 18, 2021) RELEASED: GitHub

New features
  • There's now a "Show Weapon Help" key (G by default) that shows detailed information on the screen about the currently selected weapon. It works for Enhanced and Modern guns only, since Vanilla guns are identical in their stats to the vanilla Doom weapons.
  • Liquid textures applied to floors (or ceilings) will have a "warped" effect
  • Liquid textures applied to walls will have a nice waterfall shader applied to them.
  • "Enhanced Liquid Textures" is now added in Beautiful Doom Settings, which allows turning those liquid effects on and off at any moment. You may need to disable them on some custom maps, such as Plutonia 2.
  • Added more detailed liquid splashes.
  • Added high-quality textures depicting decorative victims, corpses, etc., to match the new gore sprites. Added "Enhanced Gore Textures" option that allows switching between vanilla and enhanced gore textures.
  • Footsteps have received a number of tweaks:
    - they'll be more performance effiicent;
    - their frequency will changed based on how fast you move;
    - their volume and frequency sliders now actually work;
    - footsteps are only heard locally and won't potentially cause desyncs in MP.
  • Enhanced Chaingun's altfire has been reworked. It now works similarly to the minigun used by Heavy in Team Fortress 2: you can hold down Alt Fire to start spinning the barrels, and at any moment you can press Primary Fire to start firing. The spin speed will gradually raise as you're holding down Alt Fire. The barrels will visually heat up as you're using it; spinning without fire doesn't heat up (or cool down) the barrels.
  • Recoil and vertical camera movement in weapons is now disabled if the player is not using mouselook (`freelook` CVAR is false) or if mouselook is disabled via MAPINFO or `sv_nomouselook` CVAR. (The `freelook` CVAR is not checked in multiplayer — instead in multiplayer only MAPINFO and global CVARs are checked, so that everyone is on equal terms.)
  • Enhanced blood now features two options: "Enhanced particles and pools" and "Enhanced particles (no pools)". With the second option there will be no 3D pools created on the floors where blood particles hit them, and there won't be any blood pools whatsoever under dead bodies, decorations, etc.
  • "Bullet tracers" option is no longer ignored with Modern Weapons, which means you'll be able to disable tracers. Notice, whereas with Vanilla/Enhanced guns the tracers are purely visual, with Modern guns they tracers actually are the bullets themselves (because Modern bullets are projectiles, they have travel time). As such, disabling tracers will make it harder to see them. But the option is now available.

Changes/fixes
  • A lot of actor classes have been renamed to avoid generic names like `SmallDebris`, which might help with compatibility and generally makes the naming convention more streamlined.
  • Beautiful Doom Settings is now available also via Main Menu. If playing with a custom Main Menu, it'll still be visible but the color of the option may be different from the rest of the menu.
  • Fixed an error referring to BD_BaseFlare as an abstract class.
  • Fixed gun recoil sometimes causing jerky camera movements.
  • All debris should now properly interact with 3D floors instead of falling through them.
  • Debris, including weapon casings, will no longer bounce off non-blocking lines when sliding on the floor. They will also properly bounce off walls underwater.
  • Fixed placeable monster corpses not moving with floors.
  • Shootable decorative bodies will now bleed a cheaper blood that doesn't leave blood pools.
  • Some objects won't spawn certain effects when outside of player LOS: Floating Skull particles, decorative victim's blood, explosive barrel debris.
  • Gibs should no longer hover over the floor. This used to happen with gibs that got stuck to the ceiling first and then fell down.
  • Modern Berserk will now retain some of its functionality throughout the whole level, akin to classic berserk: after picking it up, for the whole level you'll deal increased damage with your fists and you'll have an ability to deal a charged-up heavy punch by holding down Alt Fire. The main bulk of effects (increased attack rate, regeneration, higher movement speed, guaranteed stunlock and reduced incoming damage) are still limited by 40 seconds after picking it up.
  • Fixed a bug that where Modern BFG orb wouldn't target all the enemies hidden behind a corner while firing from around it; it'll now focus on all the targets around it correctly.
  • Various weapon/balance adjustments:
    - Homing rocket from Enhanced Rocket Launcher now has a 10-tic delay before starting to home. It should prevent it from ramming into corners/ledges when you attempt to fire it around them.
    - Assault Rifle (Modern Chaingun replacement) now has increased firing speed, and in ADS mode (secondary attack) it fires in 3-round bursts instead of single shots.
    - Modenr Pistol reload and Modert Shotgun dry reload are a bit faster now.
    - Plasma Rifle will now gain heat a bit more slowly and dissipate it passively a bit more quickly
    - You will now be able to properly use Quick Kick while reloading the modern SSG

Monsters
  • The gibs flying away from monsters will now fan out more, and some gibs may fly in random directions to make the gibbing pattern more varied.
  • There's now a blood rain effect when a monster blows up.
  • In fire death animations enemies will quickly transition from bright to black, since it's been pointed out to me that the body shouldn't appear to be glowing when engulfed in flames. Burning bodies will also make burning sounds now.
  • Gibs and blood physics has been improved further. Blood should no longer stick out of water when underwater. Gibs should no longer teleport to the edge of a water pool when hitting a wall underwater.
  • Fixed Lost Soul flaming shards sliding along the floor.
  • Pain Elemental's flaming shards won't linger for too long.
  • Big blood sprays spawned by PE and bosses won't weirdly scale down vertically after spawning.
  • Spectres will now fade in after being killed. This effect is WIP: I'll work on it further to make sure their corpses are still distinguishable from Demons' (likely they will be darker or they'll still keep some of their transparency).
  • Cyberdemon will now fire the rocket rocket type based on the current weapons:
    - If Weapon Set is "Vanilla", he'll fire Beautiful Doom rockets (only different in looks from vanilla)
    - If Weapon Set is "Enhanced", he'll still fire Beautiful Doom rockets, but they will come out of his gun rather than the center of his sprite
    - If Weapon Set is "Modern", he'll fire Modern Rockets (faster velocity and slight velocity increase during flight, different visuals), also out of his gun rather than the center of his sprite

Visuals and audio
  • All muzzle smoke and other muzzle effects are now drawn in the screen rather than being spawned as actors in the world. This makes effects cheaper and more consistent (especially noticeable with something like Modern BFG).
  • Bullets will spawn bubbles when fired underwater.
  • New debris added for Modern Rocket explosion.
  • You will now hear a sound when a Modern weapon has been reloaded in the background alongside the "<weapon> reloaded" message.
  • When Modern Berserk's main effect is running out, the overlay will flash to indicate that.
  • New effects for Revenant tracers: dimmer red trails for non-homing ones, brighter fiery ones for homing ones
  • New effects for Mancubus fireballs: brighter yellow fire effects
  • Metal debris spawned by explosive barrels and by dying bosses will now leave fiery/smoke trails
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 7.0.0 (March 18, 2020)

Postby Agitatio » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Congratulations on the release Jekyll! Great to see BD still kicking after all these years.
Agitatio

Discord: Agitatio#4183
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Beautiful Doom 7.0.0 (March 18, 2021)

Postby Void Warrior » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:29 pm

Jekyll Grim Payne! Congratulations on the release of Beautiful Doom 7.0.0! I love your mod, which literally improved the original. Advanced animation of weapons, enemies, and much more. I've been waiting a long time for you to finally introduce her to us. But during the test of this version, I noticed one bug with the vanilla arsenal. The Super shotgun can fire a single round when the right button is pressed while reloading. It looks like a bug. Insignificant, but eye-catching.
Void Warrior

Postby Samarai1000 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:48 pm

Congratulations on the new release! Small issue with the Modern Guns set, the Super Shotgun's primary fire (both barrels) never gibs monsters regardless of distance, meanwhile the altfire gibs monsters almost 100% of the time, even without being at point-blank range.
Samarai1000
No better than bigots, apparently.

Discord: #7919

Postby kalensar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:23 am

Samarai1000 wrote:Congratulations on the new release! Small issue with the Modern Guns set, the Super Shotgun's primary fire (both barrels) never gibs monsters regardless of distance, meanwhile the altfire gibs monsters almost 100% of the time, even without being at point-blank range.

@Samarai1000 Do you have Autoaim turned on? It sounds like the auto aim effects the altfire while the primary does not.
kalensar
Castlevania 3 for Simons Destiny compiler. Rabid editor

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby dddstudio » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 am

Best Doom mod IMO. Thanks very much for your work!
dddstudio

Re: Beautiful Doom 7.1.0 (April 28th, 2021)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:56 pm

New release

At this time I'm considering this release feature-complete and planning to only make new ones for maintenance reasons (bugfixes). For now I'm going to dedicate my time to other projects.

LZDoom is currently not supported because of a few functions in the mod that aren't supported by OpenGL 1.x. This will hopefully change soon when LZDoom figures out a way to filter out specific things, or I'll add an LZDoom-compatible release (thankfully, it shouldn't take too much effort).

Version 7.1.0 (April 28th, 2021): Download on GitHub

New Features
  • Added a "Projectile's Style" option to Beautiful Doom settings. The option defines the look of player AND monster projectiles. There are 3 options:
    'Don't Replace' — vanilla projectiles will spawn without any replacement from Beautiful Doom; you can use this with another mod that defines its own projectile replacements
    'Classic' — projectiles will use vanilla-style but smooth sprites and some extra lighting effects
    'Enhanced' — the default value: more effects, debris, particles, sometimes different look
Fixes
  • Monster behavior changes that occur while setting Player Weapons to 'Modern' will no longer persist if you disable Beautiful Doom Weapons after that.
  • Fixed Modern SSG not piercing enemies.
  • Enhanced Guns: extra Pistols can now be picked up for ammo, like Clips, even if you have two Pistols already.
  • Fixed Enhanced Chaingun having perfect accuracy with Altfire.
  • I removed a bunch of restrictions on spawning actors that would prevent them from being replacable by personal submods. You will now be able to properly create submods that replace Beautiful Doom's blood, gibs, animated blood pools and some other objects in all instances.
  • Floor/ceiling bullet decals will now be properly aligned with the plane instead of hanging in front of it.
  • Explosive Barrel remains will no longer float in mid-air.
  • Revenant and Mancubus projectiles will now spawn some debris upon exploding.
Improvements
  • Beautiful Doom Weapons option can now be toggled on the fly, i.e. you can enable or disable modded weapons while mid-game.
  • Added some extra checks to make sure your starting weapons are always correct and that you never get duplicate weapons. This means that, if you have Beautiful Weapons enabled, you will now never receive vanilla Doom weapons (even if you use a 'give' console cheat, IDKFA, or an ACS script that gives weapons directly). Similarly, if you have Beautiful Doom Weapons disabled, you will never get the mod's weapons.
  • Beautiful Doom is now compatible with Gearbox; it should also be compatible with any other similar mod as long as it uses the inventory.icon value of the weapon.
  • Previously Plasma and BFG orbs would cause massive FPS drops if fired above moving floors or below moving ceilings; now, if fired in a moving sector, they will spawn simplified particle effects and will not cause any performance overhead.
  • Spider Mastermind's brightmaps have been colorized and overall improved a lot.
  • Bouncing debris will stop bouncing after a fixed number of bounces; this will make sure they won't spawn endlessly on platforms moving slowly downward.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 7.1.0 (April 28th, 2021)

Postby Turin Turambar » Sun May 09, 2021 6:25 am

Great mod. Although upon finishing a level, I got this error

https://i.imgur.com/snlePsF.png

It was map05 from this wad https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ack-on-io/, and I was using the modern weapons, if you want to try to replicate the error.
Turin Turambar

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods