Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 3915302 (June 12, 2020)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:13 am

pre-7 build 3915302 (June 12, 2020): GitHub

New features
  • Gibs, particle blood, smoke and all types of debris now use a full Tick() override in ZScript, which has two benefits: 1. they should be noticeably lighter on performance; 2. their movement and interaction is now more intricate (for example, gibs have more complicated bouncing/sliding than actors normally do).
  • Blood pools, bloody footprints and bullet decals will now properly align themselves to slopes (thanks Boondorl).
  • Blood will now always use the correct color, even for custom enemies, thanks to CopyBloodColor() function added to GZDoom by Nash Muhandes.
  • Blood will now fade out after falling on any animated texture (thanks 3saster for ANIMATED handler), including the custom ones.
  • Modern Guns reload animations can now be interrupted at any point to switch to a different weapon. Depending on when you interrupt the animation, the weapon might be already reloaded by that point or not, similarly to how guns work in modern games.
  • Added "Safe Actor Replacement" feature (see Beautiful Doom Settings): a compatibility feature that comes into play if Beautiful Doom is run alongside other mods or map packs:
    - "DEHACKED only": with this setting, the mod won't replace actors that are defined in DEHACKED (such as Eviternity monsters, e.g. Cyber Baron).
    - "DEHACKED and sprites": same as above plus it also won't override actors that have their sprites replaced (the way some older or vanilla-styled wads replaced sprite names directly without changing any code, for example Deus Vult II).
    This feature only works for monsters and decorations. To disable weapons you need to use "Beautiful Doom weapons" option under Compatibility.
    This feature does not interact with DECORATE or ZScript, since those introduce new actors, as opposed to DEHACKED. If you want to combine Beautiful Doom with a custom monster pack that replaces vanilla monsters, use "Beautiful Doom monsters" option under Compatibility.
  • Integrated menu tool tips by Nero: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=68495
  • Added a "janitor" key that will clear all debris/blood/gibs on the level.
  • Enhanced/Modern Guns: you now can press "Weapon Help" button to see a popup on the screen with details on the weapon. Currently looks best at 1080p.
  • SpriteShadow mod is removed: I don't see a good reason to have it integrated, considering SpriteShadow is already fully compatible with Beautiful Doom and is present in many people's autoload folders. In addition to that, sprite shadows will likely soon become a built-in GZDoom feature, and a separate mod won't be required.

Changes/fixes
  • SSG gibbing is now more consistent and should happen less often at distances and/or when the enemy is hit by only a few pellets.
  • Modern SSG pellets will no longer cause non-monster objects to bleed when shot.
  • Modern SSG now automatically goes into reload animation after shooting (which, like all other Modern weapon animations, can be interrupted to switch into a different weapon).
  • Modern Plasma Rifle can now shoot a little longer before needing to cool down.
  • Modern Rocket Launcher now can hold 8 rounds in its clip.
  • Resting debris should no longer lag behind moving floors.
  • Improved bouncing and underwater physics for gibs. Improved underwater behavior for blood.
  • Some of the extra death animations are now triggered by specific attacks: for example specific Zombieman and Shotgunguy death animations can now only be triggered by headshots. This is a purely visual effect, there's no extra headshot damage.
  • Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind will now be properly able to damage each other.

Visuals and audio
  • Updated all blood sprites; they now look closer to vanilla: more pixelated, more vibrant red colors.
  • Drew new detailed saw death animations for Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Chaingun Guy, Imp and Pinky.
  • Custom sprites for Head On A Stick and Heads On A Stick.
  • Added texture replacements for Doom gore textures (aka SP_DUDEs). They are optional and will only show up is "Beautiful Doom Decorations" option is set to "Enable".
  • Added "Player gloves color" that lets you switch between classic or black gloves at any point (regardless of weapon set).
  • Modern Assault Rifle now has a new set of sprites in a different color scheme.
  • Modern Plasma Rifle now uses new sprites with a detailed coil that also serves as a visible heat indicator.
  • Updated Modern BFG9000 sprites: improved animations, muzzle flash and heat indicators.
  • Redid all Chainsaw sprites to use better blood and smoother movement.
  • Blood on Modern Chainsaw will now properly change color based on the blood color of the last enemy hit.
  • Sprite and animation improvements for all weapons.
  • Added shaders for liquid textures.
  • Blood pools and decals now have materials.
  • Dark smoke now uses smoother sprites.
  • Scorched dead bodies now emit more smoke.
  • Burning dead bodies emit fire particles.
  • Arch-Vile now has smoother animation in its attack sequence.
  • Arch-Vile flames now use better particles.
  • Multiple improvements to brightmaps.
  • A custom vingette effect is shown on the screen when Modern Berserk is active.
  • Added better chainsaw jamming sound by olzhas1one.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Discord: Agent_Ash#4401
Github ID: jekyllgrim
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby CasualChris » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 pm

The extended death animation for the zombieman where he's on his knees for about a second and falls face-down still treats him as being completely solid (you can't walk through him until he's actually on the ground dead). It's pretty obstructive of regular gameplay.
CasualChris

Postby RafaHell » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:34 pm

Looooong-time lurker. Registered just for the following heads-up:

Falls textures still static or "warped" in certain WADs. I've no understanding of what mechanics are causing it, but I can point to a couple of specific cases:

- TNT:Revilution Map 01: Right at the start, the lavafalls on either side are "warped".
- Going Down Map 20: Same effect as above.
- Speed of Doom Map 01: Static waterfalls right off the bat.
RafaHell

Postby sibullski » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:41 pm

this mod is amazing. Everything looks soo good but I'm getting all kinds of minifreezes and sometimes they are one after the author and maybe a half a second long. Also it will sometimes crash gzdoom when I quit out. It will get frozen on the quit screen until gzdoom stops responding.
sibullski

Postby Gorec » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:08 am

i noticed some issue
you cant change gloves color if options set for vanilla weapons, but you can change to enhanced or modern and glove option becomes available and stays the same for vanilla weaps
also you should edit that it only works on gzdoom 4.4.x since older versions does not
anyway nice update :)
Gorec

Postby Captain J » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:41 am

Yeeeeah about that, i also got some problem of Modern BFG's projectile glitching up and intensely saying like "received al error invalid value (oxa003), oalsound.cpp:1654". And i genuinely find it rather weak too.

Also i can't do a Quick Kick in Vanilla weapon mode. Is this intentional?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Gorec » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:21 am

Captain J wrote:Also i can't do a Quick Kick in Vanilla weapon mode. Is this intentional?

well its vanilla weapons so...you know
Gorec

Postby Captain J » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:33 pm

I see... But would be nice if i could kick in vanilla mode still.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:31 am

Captain J wrote:Yeeeeah about that, i also got some problem of Modern BFG's projectile glitching up and intensely saying like "received al error invalid value (oxa003), oalsound.cpp:1654". And i genuinely find it rather weak too.

That definitely isn't a zscript problem. What port and version are you running this on? Any other mods included?

sibullski wrote:this mod is amazing. Everything looks soo good but I'm getting all kinds of minifreezes and sometimes they are one after the author and maybe a half a second long. Also it will sometimes crash gzdoom when I quit out. It will get frozen on the quit screen until gzdoom stops responding.

What version of GZDoom are you using? What are your system specs?
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Captain J » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:53 am

I certainly ran the mod with no addon and whatnot with GZDoom version 4.4.1, the latest one. It gave me the tons of error messages when i used BFG closer to the enemy.

And i don't think this is the computer problem on my hand.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby sibullski » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 am

Intel(R) Core(Tm) i5-7500 cpu @ 3.40GHz
8 gigs of ram
and a gtx 960
windows 10 64 bit
I'm using gzdoom 4.4.1
sibullski

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 am

Captain J wrote:I certainly ran the mod with no addon and whatnot with GZDoom version 4.4.1, the latest one. It gave me the tons of error messages when i used BFG closer to the enemy.

And i don't think this is the computer problem on my hand.

Yep, you seem to be right. I'll investigate this.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi ..I tried to run your newest version with Delta touch gzdoom 4.3.3 but it keeps giving me errors and doesn't work...

7 errors while parsing decorate skript
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:Hi ..I tried to run your newest version with Delta touch gzdoom 4.3.3 but it keeps giving me errors and doesn't work...

7 errors while parsing decorate skript

Delta touch will work once it updates to GZDoom 4.4.1.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby RafaHell » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi. Very much love this mod. This and Final Doomer+, just... top notch.

Anyway, wanted to add to my previous bug mentions a few more issues I'm experiencing:
(using latest version BD (200612) with GZDOOM 4.1.1)

- Reiterate that in some maps (particularly complevel 9 and 11 ones like Going Down and Valiant) the "waterfall" texture is static (as someone posted earlier, this does not happen in 20190611). May I humbly suggest adding a cvar to enable/disable waterfall texture replacement, or something like that?

- More importantly: I'm getting frequent sudden CTDs. In completely random situations. Sometimes it'll happen shortly after starting a map, sometimes later. Sometimes as I fire a weapon, sometimes whenever else. Happens on any map/mapset.
This last one's kind of a buzzkill.

Hope it ain't too much of a headache! Guesss I'll just keep using 2019611 in the meantime.
RafaHell

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods