Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 7d9dbf8 (June 11, 2019)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 7d9dbf8 (June 11, 2019)

Postby Squirb » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:26 am

One minor issue I've come across when using the newest version of Beautiful Doom with mods such as Zagemod and Pandemonia:

When Imps throw a fireball, they enter a death animation even though they haven't been damaged/killed. Using only Beautiful Doom doesn't cause the imps to do the death fireball dance. With the mods, disabling the Imp replacement state within the options sorts this out.
Squirb

Postby acridAxid » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 am

BD's Lost Soul death animations revert to vanilla mid-way through.

I'm also seeing stuttering at the beginning moments of each level, even before killing an enemy, so there shouldn't be any gibs to speak of. This is on a Ryzen 7 2700 with a GeForce 970 with no other mods loaded.
acridAxid

Postby AL-97 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Squirb wrote:One minor issue I've come across when using the newest version of Beautiful Doom with mods such as Zagemod and Pandemonia:

When Imps throw a fireball, they enter a death animation even though they haven't been damaged/killed. Using only Beautiful Doom doesn't cause the imps to do the death fireball dance. With the mods, disabling the Imp replacement state within the options sorts this out.

You're combining several mods that modify both weapons and monsters behaviour. That's never a good idea. I'm surprised that it even works at all.

On an unrelated note, when using Beautiful Doom with other weapon mods and having Beautiful Doom weapons set to Disable in the options, the Former Human monster can still occasionally drop the Beautiful Doom pistol which will then add itself to your arsenal. Once again that is with Beautiful Doom weapons disabled. I think in version 6, where you had to edit the mod manually, this did not use to happen.
AL-97

Postby r6d2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:That enhancement mod from 2008.

Hi, Jekyll!

I've been working on a Neural Upscaled sprite set for your mod. I basically upscaled most of the sprites with Waifu2x and then run an ImageMagick script on them to remove some artifacts.

I have fully completed weapons and monsters, with more to come. Everything new resides on the Hires folder so it does not conflict with anything you've done so far.

Would you be interested in trying these out? If you grant me contributor permission I can create a pull request.

Let me know, best regards!
Spoiler:
r6d2

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit

Postby Gorec » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm

it would be good if u added an option for disabling decorative objects like lamps,torches etc,played some wads and they all had custom decorations
Gorec

Postby rileymartin » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:20 pm

I tried this mod again after going all purist for a while and noticed a few issues conflicting with regular GZDoom behaviour:

1) https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/776230508641111233/4C0F4BE89D5493A65AD928EB7B7E9DB5EC54A940/
A few of the corpses, such as the lying Zombieman under the crosshair above, block the player when playing in (strict) compat or just with infinite height on in general. I haven't noticed this issue with any other monsters or gibs and it only happens with that particular death animation. Turning off the fancy death animation option appears to fix this.

2) The "deep water" effect causes some enemies to not be able to fire projectiles over barriers they otherwise can in vanilla. This can be seen in something like Scythe map23 where Imps and Barons are unable to attack Revenants behind short barricades while standing in the blood.

3) Punching the air does not always alert enemies like shooting does. Sometimes they hear you and other times you need to fire a pistol or something at a wall to alert enemies by way of normal sound propagation.

All experience with vanilla settings in the options.
rileymartin
The Targzissians are obviously reptilian.

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 am

Squirb wrote:One minor issue I've come across when using the newest version of Beautiful Doom with mods such as Zagemod and Pandemonia:

Uh...That's not bug. The option to disable replacements is included precisely for cases like this. You can't combine replacements in GZDoom, you can get only one version of Imp.

rileymartin wrote:I tried this mod again after going all purist for a while and noticed a few issues conflicting with regular GZDoom behaviour:

3) Punching the air does not always alert enemies like shooting does. Sometimes they hear you and other times you need to fire a pistol or something at a wall to alert enemies by way of normal sound propagation.

This is intended behavior with Enhanced and Mondern. Swinging fists in the air doesn't alert enemies, punching/kicking a wall does but only within a certain range. But if that happens with vanilla, this shouldn't be the case, I'll double-check...

I'll probably disable deep water effect entirely, too many cases when it causes issues.

Gorec wrote:it would be good if u added an option for disabling decorative objects like lamps,torches etc,played some wads and they all had custom decorations

This will be included once I manage another release. The lack of this option is strictly temporary.

Gideon020 wrote:I dunno if I'm going crazy or not, but did this mod have plans for an automatic super-shotty? Because I know it was some kinda smooth doom-like mod...

An Automatic SSG used to exist in the Modern Guns arsenal, yes, but it was ultimately removed for balance and stylistical reasons, and replaced with a more traditional SSG. It was shown in a video here.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby DarkQuill » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:01 pm

rileymartin wrote:https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/776230508641111233/4C0F4BE89D5493A65AD928EB7B7E9DB5EC54A940/
A few of the corpses, such as the lying Zombieman under the crosshair above, block the player when playing in (strict) compat or just with infinite height on in general. I haven't noticed this issue with any other monsters or gibs and it only happens with that particular death animation. Turning off the fancy death animation option appears to fix this.

This also happens with the zombieman death where the head gets shot off. I've tested adding the A_NoBlocking tag on those two deaths, and it now works properly when trying to pass a corpse hanging over a ledge or on stairs.
https://i.imgur.com/FQPigIE.png
Not seen this happen anywhere else yet though.
DarkQuill

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:31 pm

DarkQuill wrote:This also happens with the zombieman death where the head gets shot off. I've tested adding the A_NoBlocking tag on those two deaths, and it now works properly when trying to pass a corpse hanging over a ledge or on stairs.
https://i.imgur.com/FQPigIE.png
Not seen this happen anywhere else yet though.

Yes, that's an issue of missing A_NoBlocking. Thanks for reporting, the fix will be uploaded to the repo shortly.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby ToxicMasculinity » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Hey Jekyll, I have a few requests/suggestions I've been meaning to mention to you for almost a year now. This goes without saying, but obviously only if you are up for them.

Suggestions:
Spoiler:

Minor Requests:
Spoiler:

Also, I'm no modder, so I have no idea what certain error codes mean and if they even effect the mod. With that said, here are the errors from the log file anytime I run BD. Are these errors normal for the current build, or am I just doing something wrong? Using GZDoom 4.2.0, and no other mods whatsoever.

Spoiler:
ToxicMasculinity

Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby ProFound » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:48 am

How do you change the hud so it becomes the default hud while using all of the beautiful doom perks. Thanks
ProFound

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods