Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.4

Postby wpninja » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:30 am

About time you uploaded this mod to Zdoom forums, you should be ashamed for waiting soo long, JK lol. I have been playing this mod for a few years and its one of my top faves, probably like it even more than smooth doom. I am surprised there have been soo many changes to it since BDoom_53. Was quite a nice surprise
User avatar
wpninja
 
Joined: 24 Oct 2015
Location: On a far off planet by himself, killing demons.

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.4

Postby Zhs2 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:52 pm

The keycards do indeed work now as intended. Thanks! The only other problem is that defining them as new base keys gives you both the old and new keys whenever you do a give all. :P

Now for some comments on the mod itself, now that I've gotten around to trying it:
- Those airbrushed, hi-def pickup sprites... Eh. To give them some credit, they don't look ugly until you get really close. In any case, I personally don't really prefer them to the original sprites (or any edits that still look like Doom sprites, really!)
- I feel like every other zombie's head falls off when shot. It's an amusing death, but almost as if your enemies are constitutionally piñatas and all of your bullets are baseball bats.
- The super shotgun's altfire no longer has the same punch it used to have, due to the fact that the general firing noise has been greatly dampened so as to account for the dual-firing mode. I understand the old method cracked people's ears in half, but this way reduces the feel of actually firing the barrel of a gun! My suggestion is to have the original noise play when either barrel is fired, and when both are fired play both the original noise and this new, dampened noise in sequence, so as to still lend flavor to both attacks without being overtly annoying.
- The BFG's ball shrinks away to nothing before creating that end explosion, which looks hilariously embarrassing for a weapon of its caliber. I'd say reduce that shrinking effect!
User avatar
Zhs2
Power of three.
 
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.4

Postby ShinyCrobat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Tried it out. It's pretty great! The Cacodemon death was a treat I wasn't expecting. I do have some nit picks though.
Put them in order of "What I want fixed the most" to "Nitpick".
- The stretching of the Chain Gun sprite isn't very pretty. It probably doesn't look as bad with the filter, but I prefer my pixels to be crisp.
- The Super Shotgun's firing sound is WEAK compared to the new normal Shotgun sound. It doesn't really feel right that the SUPER Shotgun pales in comparison to the Pump Action.
- An option to disable the bigger pick up sprites would be nice.
- This is a completely personal nit pick, but I prefer Doom Guy to hold his pistol with his left hand. I understand why this isn't the case though.
That's all that comes to my mind right now. Could possibly be forgetting something but these are what stuck.
ShinyCrobat
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2013

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.4

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:37 am

ShinyCrobat wrote:Tried it out. It's pretty great! The Cacodemon death was a treat I wasn't expecting. I do have some nit picks though.
Put them in order of "What I want fixed the most" to "Nitpick".
- The stretching of the Chain Gun sprite isn't very pretty. It probably doesn't look as bad with the filter, but I prefer my pixels to be crisp.
- The Super Shotgun's firing sound is WEAK compared to the new normal Shotgun sound. It doesn't really feel right that the SUPER Shotgun pales in comparison to the Pump Action.
- An option to disable the bigger pick up sprites would be nice.
- This is a completely personal nit pick, but I prefer Doom Guy to hold his pistol with his left hand. I understand why this isn't the case though.
That's all that comes to my mind right now. Could possibly be forgetting something but these are what stuck.


I'll work on the chaingun. Try to bring the sprite to original. You're right, it doesn't look that great (although I actually fixed it a little compared to 5.3).
I fixed the SSG sound in new version.
HD sprites are now in a separate wad. Found out how to do that properly.
I actually put Doomguy's pistol in the right hand because, well... because I wanted to bring something personal in the mod, because I wanted the player to see immediately that something is different but not entirely. It's kind of a symbol of the mod itself: it all works the same and looks almost entirely the same but just a little bit different. Plus it also always bothered me that he holds pistol in the left hand yet the shotgun and plasmagun grips are right-handed.

Zhs2 wrote:- Those airbrushed, hi-def pickup sprites... Eh. To give them some credit, they don't look ugly until you get really close. In any case, I personally don't really prefer them to the original sprites (or any edits that still look like Doom sprites, really!)
- I feel like every other zombie's head falls off when shot. It's an amusing death, but almost as if your enemies are constitutionally piñatas and all of your bullets are baseball bats.
- The super shotgun's altfire no longer has the same punch it used to have, due to the fact that the general firing noise has been greatly dampened so as to account for the dual-firing mode. I understand the old method cracked people's ears in half, but this way reduces the feel of actually firing the barrel of a gun! My suggestion is to have the original noise play when either barrel is fired, and when both are fired play both the original noise and this new, dampened noise in sequence, so as to still lend flavor to both attacks without being overtly annoying.
- The BFG's ball shrinks away to nothing before creating that end explosion, which looks hilariously embarrassing for a weapon of its caliber. I'd say reduce that shrinking effect!


Well, as of sprites and SSG sound see above.
You're sort of right about the decapitation death, yes. It requires quite a lot of testing before fiding the right value to set it to. I'll work on it a little more. In essense the original idea was that this should happen when something exploded close to the enemy but not close enough to gib them. A close explosion should be rewarded with gore, even if not gibbing. But it really does happen to often.

I think I know what to do with the BFG ball thanks to some new functions. Thanks for the feedback!

UPD: decapitation and BFGball are fixed, see version 6.0.5.1 :)

Zhs2 wrote:The keycards do indeed work now as intended. Thanks! The only other problem is that defining them as new base keys gives you both the old and new keys whenever you do a give all. :P


Yeah, I noticed that. I didn't think I could fix it and didn't bother as it wasn't really an issue, but it turns out it can be fixed. So it is now :)
UPD: turns out it can't be done. If I fix LOCKDEFS so that new keys aren't defined, for some reason some locked doors don't open even though Species property is properly specified. I guess we'll have to live with double keys when cheating.

wpninja wrote:About time you uploaded this mod to Zdoom forums, you should be ashamed for waiting soo long, JK lol. I have been playing this mod for a few years and its one of my top faves, probably like it even more than smooth doom. I am surprised there have been soo many changes to it since BDoom_53. Was quite a nice surprise


Thanks :) I'm ashamed, yes :) But unfortunately I haven't good that much time for hobbies now. In fact I started working on it mostly because I didn't have any job orders for almost three weeks.
On the other hand, while I waited so many new features appeared in ZDoom that I was able to implement lots of stuff more efficiently.


Well, check out new version. It hasn't got all, but some nice things are there.

VERSION 6.0.5
* HD and hires sprites are now in a separate Bdoom_HDsprites.wad. Those who do not like the new sprites can simply not use the wad. Those who like everything can just load the whole BDoom_60.zip as usual
* SSG main fire sound is not cut off by reload sound anymore
* SSG alt.fire sound is not quiet anymore
* Fixed a few missing GL-lights definitions
* EvilEye code looks slightly different


UPD:

I fixed the BFG ball and too frequent decapitation death in zombies as requested above. Check out 6.0.5.1. :)
User avatar
Jekyll Grim Payne
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2008

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.5.1 (Dec 2, 2015)

Postby Zhs2 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:10 pm

I think your problem was having the new keycards inherit directly from the base class "key" instead of their respective key classes, e.g. RedKeyCard inheriting from RedCard, because then the game creates new key definitions!

Also, kudos for all of the other fixes. The sound separation in the main fire mode for the SSG is a little weird, though!
User avatar
Zhs2
Power of three.
 
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.5.1 (Dec 2, 2015)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Zhs2 wrote:I think your problem was having the new keycards inherit directly from the base class "key" instead of their respective key classes, e.g. RedKeyCard inheriting from RedCard, because then the game creates new key definitions!


Actually, no. The keys don't inherit anything, they replace the original keys, but their code is not inherited. There seems to be a bug: according to wiki if you use species property in a new key definition you can link this key to original key. So you can create SuperCoolKey with species RedCard and it should have all the functionality of the red card, i.e. it should open all doors that require RedCard.

HOWEVER it does not. I actually had to include modified LOCKDEFS lump and add my own key definitions to the old doors so that they would work, although the wiki claims that if you use species property you do not need to define anything in LOCKDEFS. Because both old keys and new keys are defined in LOCKDEFS, when you use "give keys" you get two sets of keys. When I tried removing LOCKDEFS, some of the locked doors didn't work as intended (some worked fine). I was playing The Darkening and red card key didn't open the red door despite properly defined species. I put LOCKDEFS back and it worked. Weird.

Zhs2 wrote:Also, kudos for all of the other fixes. The sound separation in the main fire mode for the SSG is a little weird, though!

That's actually sort of true. I think I can fix this too. I'll think about it later.
User avatar
Jekyll Grim Payne
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2008

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.5.1 (Dec 2, 2015)

Postby Blue Shadow » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:55 pm

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:[...]There seems to be a bug: according to wiki if you use species property in a new key definition you can link this key to original key. So you can create SuperCoolKey with species RedCard and it should have all the functionality of the red card, i.e. it should open all doors that require RedCard.

HOWEVER it does not.[...]

What version of GZDoom are you using?
User avatar
Blue Shadow
 
 
 
Joined: 14 Nov 2010

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.5.1 (Dec 2, 2015)

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:35 am

Beautiful Doom was my main go to mod (not to mention one of the earliest I discovered when I started getting into Doom) that I played with just about everything. Now it's HD, but I think I may have to get back into it. I hadn't heard anything for a while on the Doomworld thread since I haven't gone there in months, but it's great to finally see BD get a proper thread of it's own here.
User avatar
Abba Zabba
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Location: a place lol!

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.5.1 (Dec 2, 2015)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:48 am

I'm thinking over a new idea that a couple of people suggested. Would like to know what you think.

The idea is to create 2 player classes. The classes themselves would be totally the same, but their weapon set would have slightly different characteristics:

Vanilla Weapons Marine would have vanilla weapons but with new effects (animations, SFX, etc.). Their damage and speed would be 100% vanilla and they wouldn't have any alt. attacks.

Enhanced Weapons Marine would have a few changes: a silent fist, a slightly faster pistol (and perhaps an ability to pick up a second one), alt. attacks for SSG and chaingun.

If you like that idea, perhaps you have ideas for other enhanced weapon tweaks. I have a few ideas. Perhaps the plasma rifle could have some sort of alternative attack like a bunch of plasmaballs, I don't know... I also thought that perhaps BFG could have an alternative attack where you pre-charge it but it won't shoot until you release the button (yet this form of charge would be slower).

Also new VERSION 6.0.6
* BDoom_HDsprites.wad is included in the archive again (forgot it in the previous version)
* Added keycards and skullkeys HD sprites (thanks Death Egg)
* Added missing blue skull key dynamic light
* Fixed SSG main attack alternative sound (has more punch, sounds like pre-6.0.1)
* Cacodemon's fireball now looks better and also has correct coloring if fire effects are turned off
User avatar
Jekyll Grim Payne
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2008

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.5.1 (Dec 2, 2015)

Postby YukesVonFaust » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:25 am

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:VERSION 6.0.6
* BDoom_HDsprites.wad is included in the archive again (forgot it in the previous version)
* Added keycards and skullkeys HD sprites (thanks Death Egg)
* Added missing blue skull key dynamic light
* Fixed SSG main attack alternative sound (has more punch, sounds like pre-6.0.1)
* Cacodemon's fireball now looks better and also has correct coloring if fire effects are turned off

What about the HD Sprite for the Backpack?
been waiting for this for too long...
User avatar
YukesVonFaust
Hard-as-Nails Merc around these parts.
 
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Location: Zutula
Discord: YukesVonFaust#9009

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.5.1 (Dec 2, 2015)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:04 am

YukesVonFaust wrote:What about the HD Sprite for the Backpack?
been waiting for this for too long...


Yeah, well... You can see not all pickups are HD. I originally wanted to do weapons only. Then I thought that if weapons are here, ammo should be too. Then Death Egg provided those nice key sprites and I liked them so much... and then it sort of got out of hand :) So I don't know now. I found this one backpack HD sprite

Image

But it seems to me sort of flat, it lacks that rugged original look. And as I said more than once, I'm not much of an artist...
User avatar
Jekyll Grim Payne
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2008

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.6 (Dec 4, 2015)

Postby Death Egg » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:34 pm

I might do some more sprites as well, since I've always wanted an HD sprite project to happen for Doom. The reasons I stopped my project before were because I only knew how to do MSPaint at the time (Wow does having PaintTool SAI speed up the process significantly) and I ended up agreeing with the sentiment that if HD sprites are to be made, the animations need to have more frames (ala Smooth Doom, though I think a lot of those animations look a bit janky. Been a while since I played it though) in order to look more natural. I'll probably end up doing some of the easy stuff like decoration and stuff.
User avatar
Death Egg
 
Joined: 14 Aug 2012

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.6 (Dec 4, 2015)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Death Egg wrote:I might do some more sprites as well, since I've always wanted an HD sprite project to happen for Doom. The reasons I stopped my project before were because I only knew how to do MSPaint at the time (Wow does having PaintTool SAI speed up the process significantly) and I ended up agreeing with the sentiment that if HD sprites are to be made, the animations need to have more frames (ala Smooth Doom, though I think a lot of those animations look a bit janky. Been a while since I played it though) in order to look more natural. I'll probably end up doing some of the easy stuff like decoration and stuff.


Well, if you happen to make something and it looks nice but more or less vanilla, i.e. not super-duper HD, I'd be happy to incorporate it into the mod and credit you properly. But I think I'm probably only going for pickups.

Update: VERSION 6.0.6.1
* After trying and failing to change keys so that there would be different pickup sounds for keycards and skull keys as well as doors requiring cards or skulls, I stopped doing that. Now there's only one locked sound and one key pickup sounds, but keys work properly.
* Added missing XY sprite billboard flag to Invisibility Sphere
* Fixed correct version showing up in load screen (seems to be seen only if loading wads unpacked)
* Correct release date in txt :)
User avatar
Jekyll Grim Payne
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2008

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.6.1 (Dec 5, 2015)

Postby wolf00 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:31 pm

it is a compatible with rusars-r mod ?
User avatar
wolf00
 
Joined: 15 Apr 2006
Location: kladno czech republic

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.6.1 (Dec 5, 2015)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:38 am

wolf00 wrote:it is a compatible with rusars-r mod ?


It is although it might produce some visual bugs. Also advanced gibbing won't trigger for zombies if played with rusars-r, they will show standard animation due to certain coding changes.
User avatar
Jekyll Grim Payne
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2008

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Whoah and 9 guests