Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JudgeGroovy

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.1.0.0 (March 4, 2016)

Post by JudgeGroovy »

I love the dual pistols in this! Is there a console cheat code you can type in GZDoom to get that right off the bat?

Also for the record, in the latest GZDoom dev build in console I get a bunch of script errors with this mentioning that 'Backpack1' is not a type of inventory item. In BDOOM_main.wad SBARINFO, on line 31 etc. I loaded up every wad in ZDL except for Objects.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.1.0.0 (March 4, 2016)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

JudgeGroovy wrote:I love the dual pistols in this! Is there a console cheat code you can type in GZDoom to get that right off the bat?

Also for the record, in the latest GZDoom dev build in console I get a bunch of script errors with this mentioning that 'Backpack1' is not a type of inventory item. In BDOOM_main.wad SBARINFO, on line 31 etc. I loaded up every wad in ZDL except for Objects.
It's give dualpistols.

Noted the error, but for now I'm too busy to go see why a development build gives out errors. Sorry. Well, I personally rarely use development builds. It's possible that it's some small mistake on their part rather then something I did wrong. The mod will work fine on all stable builds. I tested it with 2.1.1 today, for example.
Crudux Cruo wrote:well i have this is by far the absolute best vanilla+ mod ever. i've looked and this is it. my only problem? i wish ketchup 5 worked with this... i know i'm an asshole for saying it but... maybe theres something to that?
I don't really know what that is and I'm unfortunately too busy to check that out. But I'll say right away that it's unlikely because incorporating other mods in a mod is usually too much pain. If I'm assuming correctly that it's some sort of gore mod, then I suggest trying it with my mod while not using the monsters wad (open my pk3 and delete BDOOM_monsters.wad from it) so that it doesn't conflict with the code. It could work, though there would be some problems anyway. But you're welcome to try and incorporate anything you personally want, I wouldn't object. There used to be several versions of Beautiful Doom out there.

Also, here's a small update:

VERSION 6.1.0.1
*** IMPROVED
- My new statusbar now replaces standard Doom statusbar (with the mug) while ZDoom's fullscreen statusbar remains unaltered
*** FIXED
- M_DOOM (image above the main menu) shows correct version
Crudux Cruo

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.1.0.1 (March 6, 2016)

Post by Crudux Cruo »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... 5-gore-mod

the ketchup gore mod is the stand alone gore for vanilla doom from sgt. mark's brutal doom. basically everytime an enemy explodes or is shot this stuff happens. I noticed you are using an older (and enhanced) blood system, but could perhaps use a modern touch. So, if you like what you see, i would be pleased as punch. if not, i totally respect that, but at least be aware of what ketchup is and how sexy it looks, and that perhaps it could add to your project.

as far as incorporation, basically this mod is only really active in the vanilla X-death animation and would replace the blood spray, making it far more dynamic. however, the monster uses vanilla behavior for everything else so it would be reasonably easy to do. but i understand if you're focused on other things and whatnot.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Crudux Cruo wrote:http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... 5-gore-mod

the ketchup gore mod is the stand alone gore for vanilla doom from sgt. mark's brutal doom. basically everytime an enemy explodes or is shot this stuff happens. I noticed you are using an older (and enhanced) blood system, but could perhaps use a modern touch. So, if you like what you see, i would be pleased as punch. if not, i totally respect that, but at least be aware of what ketchup is and how sexy it looks, and that perhaps it could add to your project.
It's quite cool, yes, but I'm not very much willing to do it for several reasons:

1. IMO ketchup is a little over the top. In fact, some people said even my gibbing system is a little over the top and I get that. There's a point when gibbing becomes too much of a show and starts interfering with gameplay, be it because of slowdowns on older systems, because the effects obscure your view or simply because they're too distracting in the heat of a battle.

2. While I generally like Sgt. Mark's graphics, I always was very careful about using a different style. You may notice that while I use some higher-resolution sprites and effects, I always keep the old-school slightly grainy and jaggy look. At some point I even decided to switch to hexen-style torches (before a certain version Beautiful Doom torches had particle flames like Lost Souls do now). And I actually had some ideas about how to make gibbing look more modern, like for example using high-resolution sprites from some modern game; I also thought about adding the ceiling blood pools Sgt. Mark has; but I decided against that. That is all done for a reason: I want the mod look slightly retro, hexenish, like a cool but old game, not modern. Sgt. Mark's effects do exactly the opposite of that and that's why visually they wouldn't work.

3. That's part of No. 2, actually: I specifically don't use 3D models. I know how to, I just don't want to. It's partly the style decision, partly for proper ZDoom compatibility, and partly because 3d pools look like shit on staircases and there's nothing you can do about it.

4. Apart from generally nice visuals I really dislike that bloody red fog he's done.

5. I've worked hard for my gibbing, having a specific look and style in mind and I'm happy with what I've done. That's just pride, of course, but for me it's also a reason not to replace it with anything else. Also, I have created a system of physically accurate gibbing which so far hasn't appeared in any other mod, not in ketchup either (I mean the fact that the direction and velocity of gibs is not random but rather takes into account the momentum and position of the gibbed monster and, for example, in case of rocket explosion the gibs would fly in the direction opposite to the explosion point). And I also have more than one type of XDeath. Plasma rifle blackens corpses and prevents gibbing entirely; BFG blackens corpses and doesn't prevent gibbing; plus there's the half-gibbing 'Decapitation' death where the enemy loses a limb or two because of high damage (but not high enough to gib them). These all are pretty unique to keep them.

So, I think, you'd agree this is the reason enough. Beautiful Doom has always had a very different style from Brutal Doom and it's going to stay the same.
But like I said, I don't mind others editing it to their liking. It's quite easy to edit too, the code is pretty well-organized.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

True enough, i never have disliked the blood in Beatiful doom; actually this is probably mod with the best overall, so i totally get it. thanks for considering it though :)
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

On the Russian Doom Community about this mod said "if you dont like Brutal doom play Beatiful Doom"
FrankADG

Post by FrankADG »

It's very good and really cute mode. Yes, if I want play in Classic Doom - definitely must play in Beautiful Doom.
Many very beautiful new graphics. And save original gameplay.

But what I not love. I don't like that when you fire from weapons - no shake-up screen. Not enough dynamics because of this. Maybe you added it?

And I love play in Doom at old PC. So I have some problems with perfomance when fireballs flyes near of me. I just cant found option for disable this effect only for fireballs...

Anyway, Very nice mod. Good job!

PS: a bit confused that mod has such a small size =). But it doesn't matter.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.1.0.2 (May 22, 2016)

VERSION 6.1.0.2
*** CHANGE: now GZDoom 2.1.1 or ZDoom 2.8.1 are required (earlier versions won't work). Zandronum 3.0 is still fine.
*** FIXED
- IMPORTANT: gibs used to block teleporting monsters. Now with +ALWAYSTELEFRAG flag they don't.
- Hell Knight doesn't show Baron of Hell sprites in one of his resurrection animations.
*** IMPROVED
- Vanilla Supershotgun's reload animation is more similar to the classic one (you put in both rounds simultaneously)
mutator

Post by mutator »

nice job firend :)
Jekyll Grim Payne

FrankADG wrote: And I love play in Doom at old PC. So I have some problems with perfomance when fireballs flyes near of me. I just cant found option for disable this effect only for fireballs...
Check out OPTIONS > CUSTOMIZE CONTROLS and go to the bottom. You'll see "Beautiful Doom Effects" there. You need "Fire Effects Toggle" (by default it's "O"). It turns off complex fire effects.
You can also turn off smoke and debris with "Smoke, Trails & Debris Toggle" (I).
FrankADG

Post by FrankADG »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:VERSION 6.1.0.2
*** CHANGE: now GZDoom 2.1.1 or ZDoom 2.8.1 are required (earlier versions won't work). Zandronum 3.0 is still fine.
*** FIXED
- IMPORTANT: gibs used to block teleporting monsters. Now with +ALWAYSTELEFRAG flag they don't.
- Hell Knight doesn't show Baron of Hell sprites in one of his resurrection animations.
*** IMPROVED
- Vanilla Supershotgun's reload animation is more similar to the classic one (you put in both rounds simultaneously)
About SSG very nice).
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I can confirm it works on GZDoom 1.9.1 as well. Great mod, what i don't like is that i cannot disable the keys to toggle special effects. They get in the way when typing something like 'idfa'. Well i can but changes won't get saved.
By the way i'm the real drfrag, my password wasn't that bad.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

drfrag wrote:I can confirm it works on GZDoom 1.9.1 as well. Great mod, what i don't like is that i cannot disable the keys to toggle special effects. They get in the way when typing something like 'idfa'. Well i can but changes won't get saved.
You can delete the bindings with the Backspace key in the controls menu, if I remember right.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've already done that but they come back after exiting the game. Just changed my password, wasn't that great after all.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

drfrag wrote:I've already done that but they come back after exiting the game. Just changed my password, wasn't that great after all.
By the way, if you keep getting the "Too many login attempts" message, that's a GOOD thing, because that means whoever's trying to force their way into your account hasn't managed to get in yet, since the error clears with a successful login.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”