Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zen3001

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3 (January 29, 2018) - the Smooth updat

Post by Zen3001 »

umutulutas wrote:Update is great, excelent work as always!

Do you have plans on adding visual enemy variants like in Smooth Doom?
In case you do that make it optional, I don't want this.
umutulutas

Post by umutulutas »

Zen3001 wrote:
umutulutas wrote:Update is great, excelent work as always!

Do you have plans on adding visual enemy variants like in Smooth Doom?
In case you do that make it optional, I don't want this.
Everything is optional in this mod. Flies fly over corpses, muzzles, gun features, everything. You can even comment out parts of the mod in Decorate.

I mean if he ever considers adding something like that, it would obviosuly be optional, I didnt think it was necessary to say :p
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

I think there is a wrong frame in Lost Soul's death animation. Also Mancubus and Pinky (only ones I noticed so far) death sprites (not sure if all of them) seem to have wrong offset or something. Even with "adjust sprite clipping" set to "always" they sink into the ground. Only "smarter" works on them.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

jablon1000 wrote:Major bug report: some problems with flying enemies (pains and cacos) when fighting with explosives weapons. When you use explosive weapons against flying mosters game just freezes, and you must kill process. First i met this bug with russian overkill (i adopt this mod to RO), it occours wery often with powerfull explosive based weapons. I also reproduced this bug in vanilla doom with rocket launcher. I tried to reproduce bug with other monsters like barons or demons but it only happend with cacos or pains.
I had one instance when this bug occurred but it only happened in one specific cacodemon death animation (when he pukes gibs out) which happened, from what I can tell, because the gibs could spawn inside a wall. I think I managed to edit the code so that it doesn't happen and wasn't able to reproduce it with other monsters or death animations. Could you test it out (without any other mods) and try to list the monsters that can trigger it?
Grigori wrote:I think there is a wrong frame in Lost Soul's death animation. Also Mancubus and Pinky (only ones I noticed so far) death sprites (not sure if all of them) seem to have wrong offset or something. Even with "adjust sprite clipping" set to "always" they sink into the ground. Only "smarter" works on them.
'Always' basically stands for 'always buggy' for sprite clipping :) The mod's readme actually recommends to only use 'smarter' sprite clipping. There's no reason not to, and otherwise some sprites will never look right. I can't really do much about it. Besides, the 'always' makes sprites look wrong in multiple other cases, completely unrelated to the mod itself, sometimes even in the vanilla doom.
umutulutas wrote: Do you have plans on adding visual enemy variants like in Smooth Doom?
No, I don't have any plans for this. Considering how many death animations, SFX and gibs are bound to enemies, the resulting number of sprites I'd have to add is definitely way beyond my ability in terms of the time available. Sorry.
DabbingSquidward wrote: Also, when you melee with the shotgun, you can fire way too soon, the lower animation doesn't have to finish.
That's not a bug, it was purposefully introduced back in 6.2.0 to give the player an opportunity to combo the primary and alternative attacks. This gives you an opportunity to use melee as a quick finisher against a monster you expected to kill in one shotgun shot but who didn't die (like a shotgun guy or a chaingun guy that may survive one shot); or vice versa, to use the shot as a finisher after pushing the monster away with the melee attack (effective against imps and provides a sort of minor crowd-control effect).
m8f wrote: 2. When played with vertical autoaim, bullet tracers always fire in the center of the screen instead of adjusting angle.
Ugh, this one is a pain. I can make tracers follow autoaim, however since the tracer is just SFX and is not actually bound to the hitscan attack itself, there's a good chance that when playing with autoaim you'll often see situations when your actual attack aims at one enemy while the tracer selects a different target and it just looks odd. In addition to that it's impossible to make tracers respect autoaim and also keep vertical spread, so tracers for shotgun/SSG would have to have horizontal spread only which also looks much worse than the current state. I think I'd rather leave them as is. I do recommend playing without autoaim at all though :)
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

A bug I noticed in the previous version is that burnt monsters were black after respawning, don't know if it's still a prolem with this version and I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen
it looks ugly to me
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

New update looks awesome. Nice work, man! C:
affandede

Post by affandede »

One of the top five for me, amazing work right there.

My only issue is... super shotgun, especially its sound feels kinda weak. Considering regular shotgun has a more powerful sound, this is a bit odd.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I hope one day the zombiemen can go back to carrying pistols, but I suppose now that'd require Smooth Doom doing something with those sprites maybe.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

suggestion:
make the tracers chase the monster the player is shooting at.
It doesn't work correctly when I'm playing with freelook off and vertical autoaim for a little more vanilla expirience.
I'm sure AAPTR_PLAYER_GETTARGET should make this work.
namsan

Post by namsan »

I found a fatal bug.
If dying pain elemental was pushed against ceiling, he will clip through ceiling and the game will crash.
I was using Beautiful Doom(I excluded weapons and items from it) with Final doomer mod, And that mod's upper cut attack push enemies above.
So I successfully found this bug.
https://imgur.com/a/nR2EB
Illasera

Post by Illasera »

One issue for you, personal opinion, Plasma rifle projectile is too opaque and the shape of it may need some rework.
pfred1x

Post by pfred1x »

I tried using BDoom630.2 with Knee Deep in Zdoom and it made the barrels flip out. The barrels would alternate between standing up, and being sideways. It was so disconcerting I just could not play the game. So I do not know what else may have been a problem there. Barrels seem still enough in Ultimate Doom though. I was using GZDoom g3.3pre-406-g61979f63c - 2018-02-11 16:35:34 +0200 - SDL version running on Debian Stretch Linux. Which may be the cause of it?

The old split apart version of Beautiful Doom works for me. Like before it was all in one pk3 file. For whatever that is worth. I even tried a couple older versions of the pk3 and they all did the same dancing barrels thing.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Just letting you guys know, I haven't abandoned the mod, I've been just moving around a lot over the past couple of months. I'll continue the good work as soon as I settle down a bit.
pfred1x wrote:I tried using BDoom630.2 with Knee Deep in Zdoom and it made the barrels flip out. The barrels would alternate between standing up, and being sideways. It was so disconcerting I just could not play the game.
I honestly have no idea what could be causing this, but combining two mods that replace objects is never a good idea and is not supposed to work at all. You can manually go through the mod and ensure compatibility by replacing or removing the odd objects, but I personally can't with that. If you want a version of the mod that only contains monster or only weapons, etc., you can easily edit the DECORATE file to not include specific decorate sub-files (and also remove certain ACS from LOADACS if needed).

If the only problem is the explosive barrels, it's probably about sprite names. Just delete one of the versions of the barrels from either KDiZD or BD.
namsan wrote:I found a fatal bug.
If dying pain elemental was pushed against ceiling, he will clip through ceiling and the game will crash.
I was using Beautiful Doom(I excluded weapons and items from it) with Final doomer mod, And that mod's upper cut attack push enemies above.
So I successfully found this bug.
https://imgur.com/a/nR2EB
I'm aware of this. Part of the reason why things take long. It's caused by its gibbing but I'm not 100% sure why or what the best way to fix it is. I'll try to do something.
Zen3001 wrote:suggestion:
make the tracers chase the monster the player is shooting at.
I commented on the associated difficulties above.
Midnight_King

Post by Midnight_King »

I haven't tested it beyond Necrodoom, but it seems certain weapons mods will work with this if you load them after Beautiful Doom. No edit needed.

Again, I only tested Necrodoom. So far no issues, but I can't testify to that until I test further.

EDIT:

Also tested with Trailblazer and High Noon Drifter. Both work. La Tailor Girl does not. Eriguns2 is another one that won't work like this.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

When vanilla weapons are enabled, there's a little window of time after the chainsaw's primary fire where it's still possible to kick with altfire.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”