Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.2.0 (July 14, 2017)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Turns out the differences of shading of sprites, custom decals and decals controlled by bloodcolor property, is much trickier than I thought.I should've paid more attention. Hopefully in the next version I'll be able to bring those shades closer together.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Question to everyone: should I leave weapon selection as two player classes or change it into an option that can be changed from the menu?
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

i think it would be better cuz some wads screw classes by adding new
Jekyll Grim Payne

...And also that'd make Enhanced Guns playable in multiplayer; the host will just select either enhanced or vanilla guns for everybody. Yes, I'm definitely doing this for the next release. No more classes.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Okay, now BDoom 6.2.0 runs with ZDoom32 2.8.2 (not with the pre-release) but in game i get a lot of errors about a non existent label called 'Vanish'. I don't think that is a predefined actor state or is it? No errors on GZDoom 2.4.
Jekyll Grim Payne

drfrag wrote:Okay, now BDoom 6.2.0 runs with ZDoom32 2.8.2 (not with the pre-release) but in game i get a lot of errors about a non existent label called 'Vanish'. I don't think that is a predefined actor state or is it? No errors on GZDoom 2.4.
That's an old state I'd used to use and then got rid of it, but I thought I cleaned up all the mentions of it... Apparently I didn't. That'll be fixed, thanks!

Mind you, though, I don't officially support ZDoom anymore. Some things may not work or work badly in it even when I fix the wrong state.
rileymartin

Post by rileymartin »

Found another bug that I've encountered a few times now. This one freezes GZDoom completely for me. If a Caco gets launched into the ceiling by rocket splash damage and does the death animation where it throws up its lunch, the game crashes. I have no idea on the technical aspect of this but it looks like it clips through the ceiling the spawns the gibs out of level bounds, or something like that.
Jekyll Grim Payne

rileymartin wrote:Found another bug that I've encountered a few times now. This one freezes GZDoom completely for me. If a Caco gets launched into the ceiling by rocket splash damage and does the death animation where it throws up its lunch, the game crashes. I have no idea on the technical aspect of this but it looks like it clips through the ceiling the spawns the gibs out of level bounds, or something like that.
That's interesting... It sounds possible, although I've never had Caco fly that high. I assume it happens when it's already right under the ceiling and you shoot it basically right from below? I'll try to test it out and see what I can do.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Okay, the update is coming this weekend, maybe tomorrow. Here's a video preview for now:

pikio96

Post by pikio96 »

Not gonna lie, this new 6.20 version is much better than previous versions. And I'm happy to see the red muzzle flashes back, it was my one gripe about the mod. This is very good. Also: That Icon of Sin spawn thingy is just too cool!
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.2.1 (July 23, 2017)

VERSION 6.2.1 || July 23, 2017 || DOWNLOAD (ModDB) Backup download(Dropbox)
* CHANGED *
-- MAJOR: weapon types (Vanilla or Enhanced) are no longer bound to player classes. Instead they can be switched at any moment under Options > Beautiful Doom Settings > Player Weapons or using bdoom_weapons CVAR in console.
Reasons:
- No more restarts, just change on the fly. This also changes the weapon sounds that enemies make to correspond to your weapons
- Multiplayer compatibility: the host changes the variable and all players get corresponding weapons
- Easier to manage if for whatever reason I decide to add more weapon sets
- It makes both weapon sets properly available when you're playing with mods that introduce their own player classes (like Unloved)
-- Enhanced BFG Heavy Laser doesn't push enemies away anymore (which allows to more easily make use of its piercing property to cut through enemies)
-- Spectre now uses regular red blood. Reason: because of technical limitations it's impossible to create proper fuzzy effect for blood sprites, blood marks on planes and blood decals on walls AND also make them look proper depending on the fuzz style the player chooses in the game. Giving it black blood didn't look right either.
(Spectre gibs are still properly fuzzy)
-- Vanilla guns now have red (vanilla) muzzle flashes (while enhanced guns retain yellow flashes)
* FIXED *
-- Fixed long-standing issue: Pain Elementals can no longer be resurrected by an Arch-Vile even if a death animation was used in which they leave behind a corpse (Thanks, Grigori)
-- Removed references to now non-existent "Vanish" state in some actors. That should make certain debris properly disappear when Advanced Debris option is off, as well as remove some yellow errors upon startup. (Thanks, drfrag)
-- Fixed a minor but ugly bug where blood drops would sometimes fly parallel to floor instead of falling
-- Fixed a bug that made the level brighter after using BFG alternative attack (thanks MasterMind)
-- Enhanced Chainsaw now uses a different sound during sawing (previously it mistakenly used the same sound as vanilla chainsaw)
-- Sparks that come out of the BFG ball no longer leave BFG decals on walls (only the ball itself does)
-- Removed unnecessary function that changed Thing ID of SS soldiers and Cacodemons on spawn which could potentially interfere with some custom scripts from other wads
-- Hell Knight now isn't animated when it's not moving, like other monsters
-- Removed unnecessary dynamic light definition for a currently removed version of BFG ball (produced yellow error on GZDoom startup)
-- Shotgun casings no longer change size randomly upon spawning (Thanks, Grigori)
-- If you're playing the mod with a map where a custom ACS direclty gives you a vanilla weapon, it gets replaced with a BD weapon (via a custom BD script) but previous you'd also get extra ammo; this is now fixed
(Also, if that happens, a BD weapon gets properly selected instead of returning to your previous weapon, although there's a slight delay)
* ADDED/IMPROVED *
-- MAJOR (technical): after flying through the air for a while, gibs will stop rotating and spawning blood and come to rest even if they haven't fallen down yet. This prevents continuous blood spawning in case gibs somehow get stuck in walls or terrain.
-- Chainsaw now has an alternative attack: kick (basically the same kick as with Enhanced Fist but a bit slower)
-- Plasma Rifle's muzzle flash color is now closer to the color of new plasmaballs
-- Added 'Explosion Shakes' option to Beautiful Doom Settings that allows toggling the shaking of explosions produced by BFG, barrels and boss deaths
-- Added minor short shake for rocket explosions
-- Boss Brain (John Romero's head) now explodes into blood when dying (although you normally can't see it)
-- When Icon of Sin's spawn cubes spawn a monster, it's now accompanied by a temporary glowing rotating pentagram surrounded by flames
-- Explosive barrel's explosion now shakes the ground immediately at exploding without a delay (in contrast to damage, which is dealt with a delay, as per vanilla barrel stats)
-- Added high-quality decals for chainsaw, Berserk punch and kick, explosions and BFG ball
-- Blood decals on walls now better match the color of blood pools on floors/ceilings (the match still isn't perfect because blood sprites and blood decals have to be drawn and shaded using different methods) (Thanks, TheCamaleonMaligno)
-- Hell Knight's blood now has darker and deeper color
-- You now only leave bloody footprints while you're pressing movement buttons, which results in a more consistent footprint pattern
-- Explosive barrels may leave explosion decals on walls
-- Enhanced Chainsaw now properly plays start and stop sounds at the beginning and end of sawing animation
-- Added new more informative Help (F1) screen
-- Added "Beautiful Doom Credits" menu above "Beautiful Doom Settings" where you can see some names who were involved in the making of the mod
-- Decorative gibbed marine body now looks a bit better (gibs may spawn further) and doesn't make any noise at spawn (obvious at, for example, the beginning of E1M1 and E1M2 of Doom 1)
-- Decorative dead bodies are now also surrounded by a few pools of blood to make them look more like actual killed monsters
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:-- Fixed long-standing issue: Pain Elementals can no longer be resurrected by an Arch-Vile even if a death animation was used in which they leave behind a corpse (Thanks, Grigori)
Wasn't me who reported that. :mrgreen:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Well, as expected this no longer runs with ZDoom, not even with GZDoom 2.4. Never mind.
I still don't know why those 'critical messages' were shown in ZDoom but not in GZDoom even with the developer message modes set.
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

I attempted to throw in that custom old BFG altfire decorate code you gave me into 6.2.1, but it just removed the altfire altogether. I got used to the heavy laser anyways.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Grigori wrote:
Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:-- Fixed long-standing issue: Pain Elementals can no longer be resurrected by an Arch-Vile even if a death animation was used in which they leave behind a corpse (Thanks, Grigori)
Wasn't me who reported that. :mrgreen:
Oh, well, I'll have to fix that then...
Sgt Jack V wrote:I attempted to throw in that custom old BFG altfire decorate code you gave me into 6.2.1, but it just removed the altfire altogether. I got used to the heavy laser anyways.
Yeah, the weapon code changed again so it wouldn't work like that. You'd have to actually copy AltFire state from the old definition over the AltFireEnhanced state in the new BFG, and also copy the definition of BFGAltBall, and accompanying things like BfgAltBallTrail, GreenPlasmaPiece, etc. That'd be a good chance to learn some decorate for you, IMO :)
drfrag wrote:Well, as expected this no longer runs with ZDoom, not even with GZDoom 2.4. Never mind.
I still don't know why those 'critical messages' were shown in ZDoom but not in GZDoom even with the developer message modes set.
Even if it did run with ZDoom, many effects simply wouldn't show up. Honestly, I don't see the point of adapting stuff right now since GZDoom has a build-in software rendering mode which is essentially the same.
The errors are a mystery.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”