Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Someone64

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

Post by Someone64 »

You could justify a gibbing death that requires extreme amounts of damage since you can run Beautiful Doom as a monsters only mod and play it with a weapon pack with extremely powerful weapons (of which there are several).
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Someone64 wrote:You could justify a gibbing death that requires extreme amounts of damage since you can run Beautiful Doom as a monsters only mod and play it with a weapon pack with extremely powerful weapons (of which there are several).
Sure, but I'm not going to design a separate type of death just in case somebody decides using different, more powerful weapons. All elements in the mod are designed to work with each other, not with something else. Including animations that are impossible to see while using the mod without any additions would be just weird.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Request:
Convert ALL the sprites to PNG Truecolor in Slade to avoid any color palette-f***ery.
Jekyll Grim Payne

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:Request:
Convert ALL the sprites to PNG Truecolor in Slade to avoid any color palette-f***ery.
Other types of sprites were obviously an oversight, it'll be fixed.
AlphaSoraKun

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

I like those newly enhanced Muzzle flashes. I will admit, as a fan of this mod, this release is the BEST! I think you should keep it up.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Since you're gonna try and fix all the bugs, I'll compile all the bugs and other stuff I found in the current version. Take a look at my custom version on the previous page, it has a changelog with many of the fixes implemented already.

Bugs:
  • The standard HUD caps out the monster kill/total counter at 999, when this can realistically be higher (i.e. MAP25 of Alien Vendetta).
  • Vanilla Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon should block on death for 20/50 tics, respectively. These values in Beautiful Doom are different, and furthermore are inconsistent between with/without enhanced gibbing.
  • BFG has incorrect knockback. In vanilla, a point-blank BFG blast will blast a cyberdemon across a room; in BD it will not move. Makes it far more dangerous to 2-shot a Cyberdemon. Can be fixed by removing BD BFG kickback properties.
  • Vanilla Pistol Casings come from the air to the left of pistol instead of the pistol itself.
  • Mancubus does not call A_BossDeath on Plasma/BFG deaths. This breaks many MAP07s.
  • Mancubus, Arachnotron, and Baron of Hell do not call A_BossDeath on crush deaths.
  • Enhanced SSG altfire always has alternate muzzle flashes, regardless of the muzzle flash CVAR (I made sprites in my custom version for this).
  • Casings, Rocket Launcher, ShotgunGuy, and Mancubus randomly contain doom format images for no reason; these should be converted to PNG.
  • If enhanced gibbing is enabled, the game can crash when a weak/enemy (zombie/imp) is gibbed over lava (and possibly other liquids). A good example for testing this is MAP23 of Survive in Hell: Simply drop into the lava below and spam the BFG on the imps.
Other Suggestions:
  • Consider restoring the cyberdemon's rocket back to the center of its chest. Although it makes more sense for it to come out of its arm, this causes some weird side effects, like a cyberdemon now being able to shoot around corners, and the 2-shot timing changing based on which direction you dodge first.
  • The enhanced gibbing on cyberdemons/spiderdemons may look out of place or excessive to some people. Consider making it controlled by a different CVAR in the settings (i.e. make a "Enhanced Boss Gibs" CVAR, independent of the "Enhanced Gibs" one).
  • Consider incorporating Nash's "SpriteShadow" mod.
  • Consider adding an option for black gloves as a toggle, a-la Smooth Doom. It is in fact the main feature of my custom version, so feel free to use the sprites. If you wanted, you could also send me your final version before release, I would be happy to make the black gloves myself for any additional sprites.
Anyway, this should hopefully cover the biggest bugs and suggestions for BD for me. My custom version contains all the suggestions and bug fixes above (bar the lava gibbing) and how they were fixed, along with some other stuff.

EDIT: Since you guys were talking about the gibbing issue earlier, there is one item that I'm aware of that does more than 128 damage: The BFG Ball. The ball itself (not the tracers) does 100-700 damage in increments of 100 as a single hit. Thus, you could gib something like a revenant with the BFG if you get a 600 or 700 damage ball hit. Make what you will of this information.
Last edited by 3saster on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Consider incorporating Nash's "SpriteShadow" mod.
I used to use this mod until I realized my fps was being cut in half on a slaughtermap.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

I used to use this mod until I realized my fps was being cut in half on a slaughtermap.
Fair point, that was why I said "consider". It doesn't happen for me (I have a beast rig), so I wasn't aware. For me, Beautiful Doom as a whole causes a lot of slowdown on some slaughtermaps (such as Speed of Doom's), but not on others (Alien Vendetta). Minimizing the settings (enhanced gibbing and whatnot) seems to still cause slowdown for me for some reason on those maps, I have no clue why. Seems just having BD loaded causes slowdowns on certain maps, even if all enemies are dead; it merits further investigation.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

3saster wrote:
Fair point, that was why I said "consider". It doesn't happen for me (I have a beast rig), so I wasn't aware. For me, Beautiful Doom as a whole causes a lot of slowdown on some slaughtermaps (such as Speed of Doom's), but not on others (Alien Vendetta). Minimizing the settings (enhanced gibbing and whatnot) seems to still cause slowdown for me for some reason on those maps, I have no clue why. Seems just having BD loaded causes slowdowns on certain maps, even if all enemies are dead; it merits further investigation.
I don't know if this would be helpful information in debugging that issue at all as I have no coding knowledge, but when combining spriteshadows with metadoom things always start out great then slow to a complete crawl and locks up. Almost like a memory leak. Doesn't matter what map/wad.
Jekyll Grim Payne

3saster wrote: [*]Mancubus, Arachnotron, and Baron of Hell do not call A_BossDeath on crush deaths.
That can't be right. Crush isn't a death state, it can only happen after the Death state was already executed (if the corpse is crushed by a door), and original monsters never call anything in it. I think it probably happened because it wasn't called in some other states (good catch).
3saster wrote:Consider restoring the cyberdemon's rocket back to the center of its chest. Although it makes more sense for it to come out of its arm, this causes some weird side effects, like a cyberdemon now being able to shoot around corners, and the 2-shot timing changing based on which direction you dodge first.
That's true. Always knew that, actually. Really annoys me that correct position of the rocket affects the gameplay, but whaddaya do...
3saster

Post by 3saster »

That can't be right. Crush isn't a death state, it can only happen after the Death state was already executed (if the corpse is crushed by a door), and original monsters never call anything in it. I think it probably happened because it wasn't called in some other states (good catch).
Ah I see. I didn't actually test it, it was something I spotted when I checked the other actors that normally call a_bossdeath after it was missing in the Mancubus plasma death. Funny that that took me so long too find, made me realize that the vast majority of MAP07s are usually rocket launcher on Mancubi, rockets/plasma on Arachnotrons. Only found that the mancubi didn't call it properly when I played Vanguard lol. As it stands, the only missing one is on Mancubus plasma deaths.
Consider restoring the cyberdemon's rocket back to the center of its chest. Although it makes more sense for it to come out of its arm, this causes some weird side effects, like a cyberdemon now being able to shoot around corners, and the 2-shot timing changing based on which direction you dodge first.
That's why I said consider, it's not clear what's the correct approach here. If it bothers anyone, it's trivial to change it themselves anyway.

Also, I noticed that the unenhanced gibbing Cyberdemon's death is abnormally fast looking (compared to vanilla), while the Spiderdemon's death is very similar in speed to vanilla. Is this intentional?
3saster

Post by 3saster »

If enhanced gibbing is enabled, the game can crash when a weak/enemy (zombie/imp) is gibbed over lava (and possibly other liquids). A good example for testing this is MAP23 of Survive in Hell: Simply drop into the lava below and spam the BFG on the imps.
Found the source of this problem and its fix. In the XDeath.Particles for weak monsters, there is the something similar to the following line

Code: Select all

TNT1 AAAAAAAAAA 0 A_SpawnItemEx("MeatPiece",random(-4,4),random(-4,4),random(10,48),	velx*random(1,2),vely*random(1,2),random(5,10),	random(-10,10),	SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM | SXF_TRANSFERTRANSLATION | SXF_SETMASTER,	80)
The fourth parameter of SpawnItemEx (random(10,48) above) is the z-position of the spawn. When an actor has +FLOORCLIP on them, in a liquid they will clip into the floor 10 pixels. If the MeatPiece spawns with a z-position of less than 10 in a liquid, it will thus spawn under the liquid and crash the game (the other gore actors don't seem to for some reason).

The Imp, Chaingunner, and Player have minimum values below 10 on the random (8,8,5, respectively). Changing these values to 10 will prevent the crashes from occuring.
Jekyll Grim Payne

3saster wrote: Found the source of this problem and its fix. In the XDeath.

The fourth parameter of SpawnItemEx (random(10,48) above) is the z-position of the spawn. When an actor has +FLOORCLIP on them, in a liquid they will clip into the floor 10 pixels. If the MeatPiece spawns with a z-position of less than 10 in a liquid, it will thus spawn under the liquid and crash the game (the other gore actors don't seem to for some reason).

The Imp, Chaingunner, and Player have minimum values below 10 on the random (8,8,5, respectively). Changing these values to 10 will prevent the crashes from occuring.

I think I've tested for this exact thing as a possible source for the issue to no avail, but I might've made a mistake somewhere. I'll make more tests according to your report; if you're right, you've saved me a ton of time :D I'll be sure to check that.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

3saster wrote:
If enhanced gibbing is enabled, the game can crash when a weak/enemy (zombie/imp) is gibbed over lava (and possibly other liquids). A good example for testing this is MAP23 of Survive in Hell: Simply drop into the lava below and spam the BFG on the imps.
Found the source of this problem and its fix. In the XDeath.Particles for weak monsters, there is the something similar to the following line

Code: Select all

TNT1 AAAAAAAAAA 0 A_SpawnItemEx("MeatPiece",random(-4,4),random(-4,4),random(10,48),	velx*random(1,2),vely*random(1,2),random(5,10),	random(-10,10),	SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM | SXF_TRANSFERTRANSLATION | SXF_SETMASTER,	80)

TBH, the Wolfenstein SS and Pain Elemental have those values below 10 as well.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Good catch, but I made a mistake on my part. The gzdoom.pk3 defines some floor textures to have a floor clip of 10, but BD redefines these (and adds others) with a floor clip of 6. The only actor that I'm aware of that has below 6 on a meatpiece spawn is the player. Wouldn't hurt to have them all at least 10, since mods would likely put them at 10 if they add some (to match gzdoom.pk3), but 6 is the bare minimum for BD itself.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”