Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3 (January 29, 2018) - the Smooth updat

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

New version is out! See the update video overview and download links on the first page.

VERSION 6.3

* CHANGED *
-- Removed HD item sprites. Many people pointed out that they stood out and that they didn't really add anything to the mod.
You find those HD sprites by downloading NAHDS project which contains these sprites from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qelbexa5oj2q ... LF4za?dl=0
The current version of the mod, however, now uses a different set of sprites with new animations and effects, so it's largely not compatible with NAHDS.
-- The mod's file is now a proper PK3 with directories, which essentially removes its modular features (that weren't popular anyway). Doesn't really affect anything from player's perspective, although improves maitenance and may improve memory use.
If you wish to disable specific features, you can comment certain lines in the DECORATE file (instead of using only specific wad files as before)
-- Enhanced Chaingun Alt Attack felt a little overpowered. Now it has overheating mechanic that doesn't let you fire more than 50 bullets without letting go of the trigger.
If you fire 50, it'll need to cool off for a bit (this cooldown is slightly longer than if you let go of the trigger earlier).
After you've fired 25 bullets in a row the barrels will become slightly red, warning you of overheating.
-- Enhanced BFG Ray (alt.attack) no longer makes enemies bleed (which reduces memory consumption and adds consistency, as none of the other plasma attacks in the mod produce blood)
-- Arachnotron's and player's plasma orbs now have a less jittery light halo and new sprites
-- Arachnotron's plasma orbs no longer have a trail behind them (it always looks jittery and makes them look bigger which may hamper dodging)

* ADDED/IMPROVED *
-- Added smooth animations for all monsters and a number of objects. Most of animations are taken from Smooth Doom with some additions by me (some new death and idle animations mostly).
Most of the death animations are the same as used in Beautiful Doom before, but improved to match the smoothness of the updated animations.
Certain old animations were redrawn (such as Chaingun Guy's saw death, Cacodemon's gib-puking death and some others).
-- Bullet weapons (both player's and monsters') now create bullet tracers when firing, which can be clearly seen (and heard if they whizz right next to you). It's just an effect without any change to weapon performance (bullets are still hitscan).
-- Added "Bullet Tracers" option under Beautiful Doom Settings that allows enabling/disabling tracers
-- Ricochetting bullets now also use tracer model and are now produced by tracers (if those are enabled; otherwise produced by bullet puffs like before)
-- Added flies that start circling over enemy corpses after 2-4 minutes. The number of flies can increase over time.
-- Added "Corpse flies" option under Beautiful Doom Settings that allows disabling/enabling flies over corpses. When reenabled, flies will start spawning again.
-- Added "Muzzle Flashes" option under Beautiful Doom Settings. When set to Enhanced, bullet weapons use more realistic muzzle flash sprites with more frame variations.
When set to Vanilla, vanilla red muzzle flashes are used. Any type of flashes can be used with either vanilla or enhanced weapons.
-- Power-up spheres (soulsphere, invisibility, invulnerability, megasphere) now have light halos and more consistent bobbing effect
-- Explosive Barrels now have a light halo, similarly to other light sources
-- In Revenant's attack animation only one of his guns lights up, to coincide with the fact that they shoot only 1 missile at a time
-- Various exposions now use new and better sprites
-- Key cards are now animated, and skull keys have visible shafts to look more like keys; they also have different pickup sounds
-- Most of monster projectiles now have better effects and light halos
-- Idle (non-alerted) Cacodemon now floats up and down a bit and blinks (blinks faster when alerted)
-- The spawn pentagram produced by Icon of Sin's spawn cubes is now accompanied by more elegant floating particles instead of 8 fire flashes.
The pentagram now also uses a better sprite.
-- Added a new spawning sound to Icon of Sin's spawn cube
-- Arch-Vile's ressurrection creates a temporary pentagram under the body, akin to Icon of Sin's spawn cubes effect

* FIXED *
-- Demon/Spectre now properly moves twice as fast on Nightmare as in vanilla Doom (previously moved at normal speed)
-- Removed pause in animation when alternating between primary and secondary attacks of the Enhanced Super Shotgun
-- Removed pause in animation when switching from secondary to primary attack of the Enhanced Rocket Launcher
-- Empty casings won't eternally float horizontally if they get stuck on a horizontal surface (e.g. when landing on top of a moving elevator)
-- Blood drops will no longer sometimes fly along the ground
-- Pain Elemental's and Player's severed hand sprites no longer share the same names (which could cause one spawn instead of the other)
-- Picking up a second pistol no longer forces you to select Dual Pistols (which could result in selecting pistols while already wielding a superior weapon)
-- Fixed a missing frame in Cacodemon's gibs
-- Fixed Shotgun Guy's walking frames being a little longer than vanilla which could result in slower enemy tracking
-- Blood sprays created by a beating heart on a column no longer produce blood pools on the ground (it looked bad and also could cause monster blood to despawn)
-- Shotgun can no longer be selected when you have 0 shells. Previously it was possible because Enhanced Shotgun has a melee attack,
but it seems pointless because with Enhanced weapons you can always use kick instead; plus with Vanilla weapons being able to select it made no sense
(and it's impossible to make it available for selection with 0 ammo only while using Enhanced version and not Vanilla)
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Weirdly, I'd *just* started regularly using the advantage of the split files. Being able to load this without the weaponset was huge for me, as I really like pairing it with Final Doomer. I mean, it's hardly a huge deal, I mostly just found it funny that I finally found a situation where I wanted to do that, and it vanished. :)
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:VERSION 6.3
:drool: <3
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

DarkkOne wrote:Weirdly, I'd *just* started regularly using the advantage of the split files. Being able to load this without the weaponset was huge for me, as I really like pairing it with Final Doomer. I mean, it's hardly a huge deal, I mostly just found it funny that I finally found a situation where I wanted to do that, and it vanished. :)
You still can, just open it up in SLADE, edit DECORATE.txt and put two slashes "//" before any #include you don't want. :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

WHAT

Are you just saying i can't kill the flies on a shotgun blast?

Just kidding. This update was awesome. It's been a long time since i last played Beautiful Doom.

Nice job.

(BTW, should the shotgun melee explode the barrels?)
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I do quite miss the separate modules, too to be honest. I really loved the ability to load decorations separate from other things (since most mods don't include decorations) and it was also a really nice alternative to the Smooth Doom monster pack. Also it worked nicely as a weapon pack, too since the enhanced mode actually had nice and significant gameplay changes. My only issue with it before was having to load the main file before them. I'd wager most people did use modular features because they could mix them with mods that did replace some aspects.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

OMG those spheres! 1 thing I wish you'd added are black gloves.
Jekyll Grim Payne

PK3 structure makes it WAY easier for me to manage the mod as it is. And splitting made it really to screw something up.

You can still make it modular by editing the main DECORATE file. Just comment the #include strings that load the files you don't need (like monster files). I haven't tested it out much but it should work properly.

For example, to remove weapons, comment all #include lines under //New weapons in DECORATE, and also comment WPNREPL string in LOADACS.

GAA1992 wrote:WHAT

Are you just saying i can't kill the flies on a shotgun blast?
I know, it's ridiculous. Unfortunately if I made flies react to anything (I initially wanted them to die from explosions), their presence would consume more memory, so I decided against it. Maybe I'll figure out a more effective way later.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

O_o This is great update! I even wonder why new version is named 6.3 and not 7.0, considering the size of work done.

Minor bugs that I noticed:
1. M_DOOM shows version 6.2.1.
2. When played with vertical autoaim, bullet tracers always fire in the center of the screen instead of adjusting angle.

Edit: just tried loading with Final Doomer. It seems that proper way to disable BD weapons is to comment out all includes in "New weapons" section in decorate, but leave #include "DECORATE/BD_WEAP.txt" as it is. Final Doomer damage types compatibility patch (that tweaks FD guns to cause special BD deaths) still works.

But now with those tracers and new muzzle flashes I feel bad not using Beautiful weapons.
Last edited by m8f on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

a little bug that i've encountered:
The bullet tracers when firing in dual pistols are swapped.
when the gun shoots left, it spawns right, and when it fires left, it spawns right.

Otherwise, great update of this mod.
Jekyll Grim Payne

YukesVonFaust wrote:a little bug that i've encountered:
The bullet tracers when firing in dual pistols are swapped.
when the gun shoots left, it spawns right, and when it fires left, it spawns right.

Otherwise, great update of this mod.
Wow, I can't believe I missed it :) Will be fixed in 6.3.1.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

The Bug Hunter strikes again:

-You switched the tics for every weapon's de-/select state around. TNT1 A 0 needs to be before the actual frame and the frame in question needs to have a duration of 1. Or else the raise/lower speed is unchanged, no matter how many A_Lower/Raise codepointers you stuff in there.
-It seems like the chaingun doesn't change to its overheat sprites after 25 shots.
-The shotgun can still be selected with 0 ammo, -WEAPON.ALT_AMMO_OPTIONAL might do the trick.
-The screen overlay/blur from the blursphere makes it hard to see underwater.
-Personal Suggestion: Remove +FORCEXYBILLBOARD from flying enemies, gibs and spheres. This makes it hard to hit them and in general looks inconsistent with everything else when it only has Y-Axis billboarding.
-Alternating the rocket launcher's fire modes doesn't autofire, so you need to click the mouse button anew in the ready state.
-The chainsaw lacks impact sounds for walls, floors and ceilings. Some people commented that such a sound raped their ears, but IMO it is odd.
-The Chaingun's fire sound is too loud. It uses the same sound from Sound Caulcking, so I looked in that mod's SNDINFO, and it has $volume 0.7 set. Might adopt that one.

Also, the Mod's logo still says 6.2.1 :P

EDIT: Maps/scripts that take away the player's arsenal still leave them with the dual pistols instead of only one.
Last edited by StroggVorbis on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The shotgun might be selected because it has a melee alt fire. The altfire also destroy barrels. Intentional?
Jekyll Grim Payne

DabbingSquidward wrote: -You switched the tics for every weapon's de-/select state around. TNT1 A 0 needs to be before the actual frame and the frame in question needs to have a duration of 1. Or else the raise/lower speed is unchanged, no matter how many A_Lower/Raise codepointers you stuff in there.
That requirement is not true from what I know, and it works as intended for me in GZDoom 3.2.5, meaning Enhanced weapons are deselected faster than normal. Which version are you using?
DabbingSquidward wrote: -It seems like the chaingun doesn't change to its overheat sprites after 25 shots.
Same, it does for me. Are you using alt attack? :)
DabbingSquidward wrote: -The shotgun can still be selected with 0 ammo, -WEAPON.ALT_AMMO_OPTIONAL might do the trick.
It wouldn't do anything because the secondary attack isn't bound to any ammo type, that's why the weapon's selection isn't blocked. I'm now looking into whether there's a way to block selection when it runs out of primary ammo. Perhaps either ALT_USES_BOTH or AMMO_CHECK_BOTH would do the trick, investigating.
DabbingSquidward wrote: -The screen overlay/blur from the blursphere makes it hard to see underwater.
Interesting, I'll take a look.
DabbingSquidward wrote: -Personal Suggestion: Remove +FORCEXYBILLBOARD from flying enemies, gibs and spheres. This makes it hard to hit them and in general looks inconsistent with everything else when it only has Y-Axis billboarding.
How so? It actually makes aiming easier for me :)
DabbingSquidward wrote: -Alternating the rocket launcher's fire modes doesn't autofire, so you need to click the mouse button anew in the ready state.
Its intentional and I don't think autofire between two different firemodes can be done at all, but I'll take a look.
DabbingSquidward wrote: -The chainsaw lacks impact sounds for walls, floors and ceilings. Some people commented that such a sound raped their ears, but IMO it is odd.
It does for me. Perhaps you set the "Ricochet & Spark Sounds" option to Off in Beautiful Doom Settings?
DabbingSquidward wrote: -The Chaingun's fire sound is too loud. It uses the same sound from Sound Caulcking, so I looked in that mod's SNDINFO, and it has $volume 0.7 set. Might adopt that one.
I'll test it out.
DabbingSquidward wrote: Also, the Mod's logo still says 6.2.1 :P
True, thanks for pointing it out, will be fixed.
DabbingSquidward wrote: Maps/scripts that take away the player's arsenal still leave them with the dual pistols instead of only one.
Do you mean that instead of losing all weapons the player still keeps a pistol? Or that when the player retrieves their pistol, they get dual pistols instead of one pistol?
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

1. I'm also using 3.2.5, but for some reason, it didn't work for me until I switched it around.

2. Yes, I'm using the alt attack, but oddly it doesn't show up for me. Maybe it's just so subtle that I'm not noticing it.

5. Down to personal preference. I'd say leave the choice to the user, so either all enemies have X-Axis billboarding, or none of them. So it doesn't clash.

6. Well, autofire works with the SSG's firemodes, so.. :P
It probably has to do with the RL's and BFG's "safety catch", so you don't blow yourself up or waste 40 cells on accident when switching weapons.

7. Seems like I had them disabled then, will check again.

10. I mean that you lose all weapons except the second pistol.

EDIT: The de-/select states that weren't fast need to have Loop instead of Wait.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”