Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
etbasch
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

Post by etbasch »

I was trying to combine BD with HD weapons and objects mod, to have everything in HD, and came up to a problem with sphere power ups. I kind of want to use halos from BD but sphere sprites from HD mod, so I had to edit sprite PNG files for those, to look like so: . But the original definitions for replacement of BD_Blursphere, BD_Soulsphere, BD_Megasphere and BD_InvulnerabilitySphere for some reason only work with original sprite files. When I edit them, leaving the same file name, the game no longer sees these files. I can use HD mod sprites only, but that way they will not use the behavior of BD sphere actors. Any ideas why I cannot edit sphere sprite files present in BD folder and then use them?
etbasch

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

Post by etbasch »

Actually, I have already figured this out. Doom sprites have additional offset property, which can be seen and edited only via Doom engine editor. When I edited the image, it's offsets were removed, so the image were moved somewhere up or down in the game, so I couldn't see it. So many new thigs to learn about doom engine!
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 92446d5 (May 20, 2019)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

pre-7 build 92446d5 is out

YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... aItM1TVxO5
DOWNLOADS
* ModDB downloads
* GitHub releases

I started making pre-7 releases on GitHub and thought it's probably a good idea to upload them here, since some people follow this thing on ModDB and ZDoom forum, and I've kinda neglected those. Sorry!

New features of Beautiful Doom pre-7 compared to 6.4 release
If it's the first time you've come across this version, here's a general ovewview of new features:
  • Added a full third weapon set: Modern Guns. They are characterized by various features more typical for modern FPS games: bullet travel time and damage falloff, magazines and reload, recoil, a Quick Kick and other changes. Overall they're more powerful but trickier to use. See readme on the main page for detailed description.
  • Revamped blood and gibs graphics, physics and sounds. They look, behave and sound better. Resurrection of gibbed monsters also looks cooler.
  • Updated a bunch of weapon effects. Casings now have smoother flying animations and more varied resting positions. Smooth smoke appears over barrels after shooting a weapon. Bullets produce more detailed bullet puffs that create various effects depending on which kind of a texture was hit (an imitation of materials).
  • Added a bunch of new special effects, such as new torch sprites, flame particles for Arch-Vile, updated visuals for monster fireballs, and a lot more.
  • Mod mostly moved to the new language of ZScript which allowed for a multitude of optimizations.
  • Mod now has built-in "modules": using Beautiful Doom Settings, players can toggle weapon, monster and item replacements. Disabling one of those modules allows partial compatibility with other mods: for example, by disabling monsters you can play Beautiful Doom along side monster mods, such as Colorful Hell.
Changes between build 92446d5 and earlier pre-7 releases
  • Fixed Health Bonus showing "test" message on pickup (thanks Latin00032)
  • Fixed Vanilla/Enhanced bullet weapons not using ammo when tracers are disabled (thanks dontpokethebear3893)
  • Updated Fire and Green Fire death animations with new effects and smooth color transitions (thanks kodi)
  • Updated Plasma death animation with smooth color transition (thanks kodi)
  • Added smooth long red trail to Revenant missiles
  • Converted to ZScript and updated all light sources and Explosive Barrel (other decorations WIP)
  • Updated sprites, halos and dynamic lights for torches, candle and candelabras, as well as lamps (performance should be somewhat updated as well)
  • New explosive barrel sprites showing bubbles. A broken piece of a barrel is left when it's exploded. Added new sound to differentiate from vanilla Doom explosions
  • Objects/decorations can't be enabled/disabled yet but this will be added
  • Fixed certain monsters not calling special map scripts (such as Mancubi and Arachnotrons on Doom 2 Map 07). Thanks to marcinmarcinmarcin for reporting and MarisaKirisame for helping with the fix.
  • Added "Background weapon reload" option: if enabled (while using Modern Guns), weapons will automatically reload their magazines if they have been unselected for a while. The duration after which the automatic reload happens is about x2 of the weapon's normal reload animation duration.
  • Adjusted the volume of some weapons.
CasualChris

Post by CasualChris »

Really cool stuff. This is my favorite mod of all time and I was hoping that this mod would make a comeback eventually. I eagerly await the release of v7.0. Going straight in the autoload from now on. :)

That said, right off the bat, I noticed a few issues:

1. You start with 70 bullets instead of 50 on HNTR/HMP/UV, and 90 instead of 100 on ITYTD/NM with both the Vanilla and Enhanced weapon sets. As for the Modern weapon set, you start with 15 bullets regardless of what difficulty you choose - ITYTD/NM does not make it 30.

2. I noticed that the Partial Invisibilty sphere has a very jarring red-to-black gradient around it:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 124336.png

3. The console puts out some errors involving dynamic lights being applied to non-existent actors on startup. I assume this is just a by-product of things still being redone.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Modern guns behave incorrectly with tracers being off. Also, any possibility of having an "Enemies Only" option for tracers?
Modern SSG could use some tuning for gibbing on one barrel shots. Maybe it should only happen if all pellets hit or only with a two barrel shot?
CasualChris wrote:2. I noticed that the Partial Invisibilty sphere has a very jarring red-to-black gradient around it:

Set your "Classic Transparency" to "Zdoom (Forced)" or "Auto (ZDoom preferred)".
Last edited by Agitatio on Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Agitatio wrote:Modern guns behave incorrectly with tracers being off.
Ha, can't believe I missed that. Will fix soon.
CasualChris wrote: 1. You start with 70 bullets instead of 50 on HNTR/HMP/UV, and 90 instead of 100 on ITYTD/NM with both the Vanilla and Enhanced weapon sets. As for the Modern weapon set, you start with 15 bullets regardless of what difficulty you choose - ITYTD/NM does not make it 30.
Sigh... It's honestly unbelievable how much trouble starting bullet amounts have given me of the years. I'll look into that.
That said, Modern Pistol, like other bullet weapons, has a magazine of 15 bullets. The reserve ammo amount changes the same way as with vanilla/enhanced Pistol. I can fix the Clip amount, though, will be done soon.
Agitatio wrote:
CasualChris wrote:2. I noticed that the Partial Invisibilty sphere has a very jarring red-to-black gradient around it:

Set your "Classic Transparency" to "Zdoom (Forced)" or "Auto (ZDoom preferred)".
That is true. Although I can fix it on the mod side and I know how, thanks for pointing this out.
SergeantDiggs

Post by SergeantDiggs »

New update, hell yeah!
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Something is up with SG ammo. When I use Fullscreen Statusbar Mod by NightFright with BD, shotgun ammo counter uses wrong font.
Sorry for reporting such issue, that clearly isn't noticeable in BD by itself. But I used that HUD with previous version of BD just fine without issues. Which made me assume that it might be coming from BD.
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20190525_132705.png
Korell

Post by Korell »

Agitatio wrote:Something is up with SG ammo. When I use Fullscreen Statusbar Mod by NightFright with BD, shotgun ammo counter uses wrong font.
Sorry for reporting such issue, that clearly isn't noticeable in BD by itself. But I used that HUD with previous version of BD just fine without issues. Which made me assume that it might be coming from BD.
It's been reported in the following posts:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64805
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63863&start=30#p1105103
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Dying with the modern BFG charging or fully charged still leaves the charge lights on the screen after the BFG has lowered.

Also, I think the modern Rocket Launcher is a bit too small.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 3f5db43 (May 31, 2019)

pre-7 build 3f5db43 (May 31, 2019): GitHub
  • Fixed incorrect Clip amount at game start
  • Fixed Modern Guns not shooting bullets if bullet tracers were disabled in the options
  • Fixed Invisibility Sphere looking incorrect with certain translucency settings
  • Optimized BFG Ball light trail
  • Optimized Modern Plasmaball light trail
  • Added new lightning effect for BFG orb that arcs towards floors and ceilings
  • Added a vastly improved set of sprites with detailed animation for Heart Column (green column with a beatin heart on it)
  • Big brown trees now occasionally shed leaves
  • Updated Cacodemon orb with new looks and special effects to make it look more like "ball lightning" (as it's described in the official Doom manual)
  • Added missing dynamic lights for rockets, BFG attacks, Modern rocket and grenade explosions, and some other effects
  • Ricochet sparks and debris produced by bullets will now slide along the floor while fading out instead of disappearing immediatelly upon hitting the floor
  • Destructible decorative corpses aren't available in this version due to being in the process of transition to zscript
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Korell wrote:It's been reported in the following posts:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64805
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63863&start=30#p1105103
I don't think those are related. The HUD is working as intended. When a weapon uses two ammo types, it will shows them both in smaller font.
In case of BD, for Vanilla and Enhanced it just shows one number in smaller font. For Modern it shows current and reserve in smaller font.
My guess is that is related to how BD SG is written. Maybe because of the way it reloads compared to other weapons.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:pre-7 build 3f5db43 (May 31, 2019): GitHub
Hmm, I just tried this out but I'm getting some framerate hit. Not unplayable, but certainly noticeably not as smooth as BDoom632a.pk3. And this was playing through the first two levels of Knee Deep In The Dead.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Korell wrote:
Hmm, I just tried this out but I'm getting some framerate hit. Not unplayable, but certainly noticeably not as smooth as BDoom632a.pk3. And this was playing through the first two levels of Knee Deep In The Dead.
That may be affected by a number of things. Overall I highly doubt it's more resource-intensive than 6.3.2. Try testing with different number of blood/trails/debris (see the settings).
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Korell wrote:
I know shadows can cause frame rates to drop, have you tried to set shadow distance to 0?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”