Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Cardboard Marty wrote:Whoa, that's an incredibly cool mechanic (and chainsaw)! Great stuff!
Thanks! I have a few other guns ready. And I need to come up with a good indicator instead of that WIP number on the screen.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

I doubt there's really anything that could be done about it, but making Beautiful Doom into a 'monsters only' variant doesn't seem to work as intended. You can comment out weapons and etcetera, but even with that BD's ammo still spawns instead of vanilla ammo/ammo from other mods. The only solution is to delete the ammo definitions. (or comment them out, but you have to comment out each line individually) Plus getting rid of BD's HUD also seems impossible without also outright deleting Sbarinfo. (or, again, commenting out every single line)
I'm probably doing something wrong, so tell me if I am!
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Samarai1000 wrote:I doubt there's really anything that could be done about it, but making Beautiful Doom into a 'monsters only' variant doesn't seem to work as intended. You can comment out weapons and etcetera, but even with that BD's ammo still spawns instead of vanilla ammo/ammo from other mods. The only solution is to delete the ammo definitions. (or comment them out, but you have to comment out each line individually) Plus getting rid of BD's HUD also seems impossible without also outright deleting Sbarinfo. (or, again, commenting out every single line)
I'm probably doing something wrong, so tell me if I am!
Yes, I noticed the ammo issue recently. It will be fixed, they will be moved to a different place. But you're right it's not easy, and in fact it can't be, because many things in the mod are related to each other and their code intertwines. For many reasons it's very hard to design a mod in such a way that different aspects of it are completely unrelated.

I haven't thought about the HUD in this respect at all, though. There is no simple one-click way I can introduce to disable the hud along with disabling weapons since these are different types of code.

I'm still thinking about reintroducing the modular feature but it makes certain things pretty difficult.
eDooM85

Post by eDooM85 »

sorry for the noob question but, is there a way to disable the SSG when playing doom1 without having to create a whole copy of the pk3 and editing this file \DECORATE\BD_DGUY.txt?
3saster

Post by 3saster »

eDooM85 wrote:sorry for the noob question but, is there a way to disable the SSG when playing doom1 without having to create a whole copy of the pk3 and editing this file \DECORATE\BD_DGUY.txt?
No need to. If you're playing Doom 1, the SSG isn't placed anywhere, so the only way to obtain it is to use the console, i.e. ''give all"
Korell

Post by Korell »

eDooM85 wrote:sorry for the noob question but, is there a way to disable the SSG when playing doom1 without having to create a whole copy of the pk3 and editing this file \DECORATE\BD_DGUY.txt?
Would creating a separate PK3 file that just contains the modified \DECORATE\BD_DGUY.txt that you then load after the Beautiful Doom PK3 work?
eDooM85

Post by eDooM85 »

No, didn't work, i saw this on another mod "ClearPlayerClasses" but if i put that before i get this error "Script error, "doom_guns.zip:decorate/bd_dguy.txt" line 4: Expected '{', got 'Actor'." is there some command like "clear actor"?
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Still don't know why you want it removed, but this should do it if loaded after the Beautiful Doom PK3: BDoom1.pk3

Basically you need to remove the SSG from the player class AND remove a weapon slot from the SSG; otherwise the SSG will go to weapon slot 3 regardless of player class.
VecterStroke

Post by VecterStroke »

What kind of weapons are in the third weapon set? Have you thought about making a add-on pack with custom monsters?
sir_firebrand

Post by sir_firebrand »

I'm playing this with my wadsmooshed Doom Collection and must say, it is a really neat mod. I loved the changes, all weapons feel incredible (god, i love the dual pistols), but here are some of ideas for the mod:

1 - All ranged weapons should have a melee attack that deals minimal damage and pushes enemies away that is not as a secondary fire. Give it a dedicated button (reload?). That way you can get all weapons a bit more variety.

2 - Make the chainsaw "failure meter" tied to a secondary fire the same way it to the dual pistols and fast-fire chaingun. Move the kick to a specific key.

3 - Change the shotgun secondary attack. It is kinda useless, you're using a weapon that deals a lot of damage on close range, why engage on melee with it. If the idea 1 gets applied, maybe a "semi-automatic" for the shotgun would be interesting (same RoF of pistol, no cocking animation, overheats the same way as the chaingun). I'm not using the shotgun as much I used to do on my previous vanilla gameplays, it feels so... meh in comparison to the other weapons.

4 - Make enemies capable of using the secondary fire mode of weapons (chaingunners capable of firing the fastfire mode, zombies with dual pistols, semi-auto shotgunners, heat-seeking cyberdemons, demons with the powered-plasma attacks, pinkies and lostsouls with a chainsaw-like continuous damage, etc) to balance the game a bit more toward the enemies. Maybe a RNG attack based on the gameplay difficulty?
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Some bugs I'd like to point out:
  • The Standard (Non-alternative) HUD caps kills and monster total at 999, when this can realistically be higher.
  • A spiderdemon and cyberdemon block on death for 20 tics and 50 tics in vanilla doom, respectively. Without enhanced gibbing, these values are close, but still not correct. With enhanced gibbing, these block significantly longer, and make a difference on more action packed maps.
  • The BFG's knockback has been removed. For the difference, do a point-blank BFG shot on a cyberdemon. In vanilla, he will be blasted across a room; in Beautiful Doom, he doesn't move. In particular, this makes it much more dangerous to 2-shot a Cyberdemon. Seems to be because of redefining the BFG's kickback properties.
  • Vanilla Pistol Casings come from the air to the left of the pistol instead of the pistol itself.
  • A Mancubus does not call A_BossDeath if it dies from Plasma/BFG. This breaks maps that rely on this property (notably many MAP07s).
  • The Baron of Hell, Mancubus, and Arachnotron do not call A_BossDeath if crushed. Very minor bug, but easy to fix.
  • Enhanced SSG altfire does not have vanilla muzzle flashes, instead it always gives the enhanced flashes regardless of setting
  • The Casings, Rocket Launcher, ShotgunGuy, and Mancubus still have doom-format images in their folders. There doesn't seem to be any reason for them not to be PNGs, as it would prevent paletting problems
Last edited by 3saster on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bisousbisous

Post by bisousbisous »

Would it be possible to make a "Super Shotgun gibs enemies" option like Smooth Doom has?
Cheater87

Post by Cheater87 »

I keep getting an error when trying to run this in QzDoom. I get Script error, "BDoom631.pk3:decorate/bd_monst.txt" line 106:
'@property@floatbobstrength' is an unknown actor property and that is where it stops when loading it up.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

Cheater87 wrote:I keep getting an error when trying to run this in QzDoom. I get Script error, "BDoom631.pk3:decorate/bd_monst.txt" line 106:
'@property@floatbobstrength' is an unknown actor property and that is where it stops when loading it up.
use only what description says-gzddoom
Xfing

Post by Xfing »

Hey!

Since you've already managed to convince Gifty to let you use his smooth animations, what do you think you could convince him to let you use the remaining ones that you still don't have? That would create the consummate visual mod IMO. Of course weapon-specific deaths could be kept for "enhanced deaths and gibs" as they are now, but Smooth Doom has those designated "gib" deaths for greater demons which BD currently lacks if "enhanced deaths and gibs" are turned off. Since BD is much bigger than SD, it would be much easier to incorporate what's left of SD into BD than the other way around, at least in terms of the death animations. From what I've seen, the list of missing stuff contains:
- 1 Zombieman death animation, one that looks similar to a mirror of the vanilla death animation
- 2 Imp deaths, both where the imp falls on its face
- 1 Chaingunner death, where he falls on his face
- 1 Demon gib death where it gibs in a style consistent with imps/zombies
- 1 Caco death where its eye falls out and lands in the middle in front of the corpse
- 1 Caco gib death where all that remains is pretty much a heap of blue blood
- 1 Arachnotron gib death where its sequence is reminescent of the vanilla Spider Mastermind
- 1 Mancubus gib death where its entire upside is red and gory
- 1 Revenant gib death where just two silver parts of armor split apart are left
- Also, the Baron/Hell Knight gib death from SD is just one of the regular death animations here, it could be made a "non-enhanced" gib animation.

These are all the missing animations I could notice thus far. I think particularly the gib animations would be cool to have in, so that if someone plays with non-enhanced deaths, they'd still have gib deaths differing from regular deaths. All of the above would be nice to have in though, if Gifty agrees - for supreme variety.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”