Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3.1 (April 8, 2018) - the Smooth update

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:And "attention to realism with hitscanners", I meant the bullet tracers will go where the bullet puff will be. It'll still be a hitscan attack
I thought about it but I don't like this idea for a few reasons. First, tracers are optional (they can be turned off by the player), bullet puffs are not (and shouldn't be). What's more important, bullet puffs should represent where the actual bullet (i.e. hitscan attack) lands. They show the real spread, etc. Tracers don't really represent it because they're a different thing. I don't like the idea of making bullet puffs into a pure effect, they have a tactical meaning.

In addition to that, bullet puffs are not the only thing produced by hitscan attacks. Blood sprays are also produced by hitscan attacks. It's definitely a bad idea to make tracers produce blood sprays as well, because there would be some cases when the actual attack hits and the tracer doesn't really touch the target, and vice versa. And on the other hand, it would be weird if bulletpuffs were produced by tracers but blood sprays were produced by the hitscan attacks.

For now I think it's best to stick with what we have: tracers produce ricochets (both are just visual effects), while hitscans produce bulletpuffs which represent where the bullet lands.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

VERSION 6.3.2 || April 15, 2018 || DOWNLOAD (ModDB) DOWNLOAD (Dropbox)
* ADDED/IMPROVED *
-- Added brightmaps for all monsters. Welcome glowing eyes and more realistic lighting! While shooting monster sprites don't light up fully, instead only the relevant regions are highlighted.
-- Kickback from kick attack now works more consistently
-- If you comment weapon-related #include strings in the main DECORATE file to play without new weapons, you no longer have to comment WPNREPL in LOADACS too
(But you will have to comment strings in MAPINFO. See DECORATE.txt for instructions.)
-- Added instructions into DECORATE.txt for those who want to exclude new weapons
-- Shotgun melee animation is a little bit more fluid
-- Torches now emit a quiet burning sound
-- Lamps now emit a quiet humming sound
-- Lamps destroyed by explosions now occasionally produce electric sparks (they're disabled along with Enhanced Lights option)

* CHANGED *
-- Enhanced Fist is silent as before, but Enhanced Kick will now alert monsters within 256 map units around you if you hit an enemy
(512 units if you're using Berserk). No alert if you swing in the air or hit a wall
-- Enhanced Shotgun Melee alerts enemies the same way the kick does

* FIXED *
-- Shotgun melee attack is fixed and reworked:
- only pushes monsters away when an enemy was hit (it'll no longer sometimes push things around when you just swing in the air)
- it pushes monsters away similarly to kick but stronger
- in contrast to kick it can only push monsters horizontally, not vertically, so the practical kickback strength is lower
- as before, it gets stronger with Berserk
-- Commenting weapon-related strings in DECORATE file now actually allows playing the mod without new weapons and doesn't produce any relevant errors
-- Explosive barrel's explosion frames are now bright

P.S. Just FYI guys, the bug where a Cacodemon/Pain Elemental dying while pushed into the ceiling crashes GZDoom is still not fully fixed. It became much harder to trigger somewhere around GZDoom 3.2.6 but I'm working on it.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

What about making it so that if tracers are enabled, your tracers actually act as the projectiles they look like instead of having it how it currently is? I like the look of the tracers but it's really jarring when it's quite obvious the hitscan is happening long before the visual tracers are reaching their destination. Since the weapons part already changes gameplay might as well go all the way and make it like this (or make it optional so when tracers are off they act as hitscans but when on they behave like how I described).

BTW, I think you forgot to make the BFG's charge up bright.
namsan

Post by namsan »

Nice update.
Now I can aim and shoot monsters even in complete darkness.
And they look more scary.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Someone64 wrote:What about making it so that if tracers are enabled, your tracers actually act as the projectiles they look like instead of having it how it currently is? I like the look of the tracers but it's really jarring when it's quite obvious the hitscan is happening long before the visual tracers are reaching their destination.
That's a gameplay change that goes too far for this mod in its current state. It's about retaining the vanilla gameplay, even with Enhanced guns it's retained to a significant degree, because Enhanced guns are only slightly rebalanced, but they don't change the core gameplay. And I want tracers to be available to people who want to use hitscan attacks as hitscan attacks. I could in theory make this a toggle option but I wouldn't like that; it's my main design principle to let the player have only one switch that actually changes the gameplay: the weapon set selection. Every other option under Beautiful Doom Settings is about special effects and I'm planning to keep it that way.

Besides, there's a technical limitation here too: if I make tracers into actual bullets, then I'd have to add proper vertical spread for them to act realistically. Unfortunately, vertical spread for projectiles is completely incompatible with autoaiming; you either get one or the other.

As I've mentioned a few times, I have a concept of a third weapon set, sort of "modern" guns, which, if I ever make them, would involve a number of realistic solutions, e.g. reloading, recoil, etc. If I do decide to use tracers as actual bullets, that will only happen for that third weapon set, but not for Vanilla or Enhanced but that'll mean those modern guns will have to be incompatible with autoaim. It's an interesting idea, I'll keep it in mind if I ever get to the modern guns.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Maybe you could make the tracers faster then? I've seen other mods do this same thing where hitscan attacks have visual tracers but those other mods' tracers are a LOT faster.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Someone64 wrote:Maybe you could make the tracers faster then? I've seen other mods do this same thing where hitscan attacks have visual tracers but those other mods' tracers are a LOT faster.
Some examples would be good.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

I think the brightmaps for Arch-Vile's movement and pain frames are pretty unnecessary.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Pistol casings come out of nowhere from the left. GZDoom 3.3.2, BDoom 6.3.2, Classic Weapons.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Grigori wrote:Pistol casings come out of nowhere from the left. GZDoom 3.3.2, BDoom 6.3.2, Classic Weapons.
You're right, thanks for noticing, I'll fix that.
Jekyll Grim Payne

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:Just a request for you, you can add some attention to realism with hitscanners and hitscan weapons. Here's an example of a Shotgunner's attack code:
A_CustomBulletAttack(22.5, 0, 3, random(1,5)*3, "BulletPuff", 0, CBAF_NORANDOM, AAPTR_TARGET, "BulletTracer")
BTW, I just realized that missile is a valid property of A_CustomBulletAttack and now I understand your suggestion! I feel so silly :) Thanks, I'll definitely use that.

In other news, I made a few of the 'modern' guns I talked about, and I've been testing them. They're similar to classic guns but they have recoil, require reloading and in general act more realistically (for example pistol doesn't have autofire, but the fire rate is higher if you press the trigger fast enough). Their bullets are not hitscans but actual tracer projectiles. I think I'll make a video preview soon.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:
A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:Just a request for you, you can add some attention to realism with hitscanners and hitscan weapons. Here's an example of a Shotgunner's attack code:
A_CustomBulletAttack(22.5, 0, 3, random(1,5)*3, "BulletPuff", 0, CBAF_NORANDOM, AAPTR_TARGET, "BulletTracer")
BTW, I just realized that missile is a valid property of A_CustomBulletAttack and now I understand your suggestion! I feel so silly :) Thanks, I'll definitely use that.

In other news, I made a few of the 'modern' guns I talked about, and I've been testing them. They're similar to classic guns but they have recoil, require reloading and in general act more realistically (for example pistol doesn't have autofire, but the fire rate is higher if you press the trigger fast enough). Their bullets are not hitscans but actual tracer projectiles. I think I'll make a video preview soon.
Glad you figured that out. 1 thing you could worry about are offsets. For guns you just need to add 0 after "BulletTracer", like here for the Shotgun:
A_FireBullets (5.6, 0, 7, 5, "EVPBulletPuff",FBF_USEAMMO,8192,"BulletTracer",0)
For monsters, idk.
I did noticed that Megasphere is missing 1 frame. Did the guy that made these spheres got tired of it or what?
Jekyll Grim Payne

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote: Glad you figured that out. 1 thing you could worry about are offsets. For guns you just need to add 0 after "BulletTracer", like here for the Shotgun:
A_FireBullets (5.6, 0, 7, 5, "EVPBulletPuff",FBF_USEAMMO,8192,"BulletTracer",0)
For monsters, idk.
I already checked it and implemented it for everything and everyone. The only thing that doesn't look that great is the Chaingunner, because apparently you can't assign left/right horizontal offset for the missile in A_CustomBulletAttack (despite what Wiki says).
A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote: I did noticed that Megasphere is missing 1 frame. Did the guy that made these spheres got tired of it or what?
You're right, I missed a frame when I was making the sprites from Gifty's sprites. It was hard to notice.
Jekyll Grim Payne

A preview of the third (Modern Guns) weaponset I'm working on: the chainsaw

Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Whoa, that's an incredibly cool mechanic (and chainsaw)! Great stuff!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”