Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
unRyker

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.2.1 (July 23, 2017)

Post by unRyker »

Glad to see this still going strong! Here's a strange error that occurs when you load up the mod for the very first time on a fresh .ini

Can be quickly tested by deleting your .ini, 'unknown' was default option for maximum blood/gibs/debris.

In addition, maybe you could think about setting up a filter for Doom 1 to get rid of GZDoom complaining about the megapshere sprites being used as a patch. However, it doesn't really change anything other than give it a better presentation that it's bug-free.

Anyways. this update added my new favorite feature which finally narrows it down to one playerclass with an option to use either enhanced or default-styled weapons! I had no idea that this was a much-needed, but awesome change.
Gurk232

Post by Gurk232 »

So is it intentional that zombie men now only drop 1 ammunition?
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

VERSION 6.2.1.1 ||August 7, 2017 || DOWNLOAD (ModDB) DOWNLOAD (Dropbox)
* FIXED *
-- Decoratibe blood pools (spawned by dead bodies) won't appear on liquid surfaces (works only for default Doom liquid surfaces)
-- Small debris produced by hitscan attacks no longer clips in the terrain and floats above the ground indefinitely
-- Zombiemen now drop the proper amount of bullets instead of 1
Jekyll Grim Payne

unRyker wrote:Glad to see this still going strong! Here's a strange error that occurs when you load up the mod for the very first time on a fresh .ini

Can be quickly tested by deleting your .ini, 'unknown' was default option for maximum blood/gibs/debris.
This option is actually tied to a standard ZDoom CVAR "sv_corpsequeuesize" which can be altered via default menu (don't exaclty remember where) or the console. If the value is outside the fixed values that I provided (which are 100, 300, 500, 1000, 1500 and so on up to 10,000), it'll be labelled as "unknown" in this menu (and it's quite possible that the default value is outside those values). This doesn't prevent it from functioning properly. You can also bring it to one of my fixed values just by pressing right/left.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.2.1.1 (August 7, 2017)

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

My suggestion is make the rest of rotations for pistol Zombieman
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Would be great if you could separate the custom HUD from the main wad. I just want to play with the default one.
umutulutas

Post by umutulutas »

Very nice mod, registered to the site just to say thank you.

This is my favorite game enhancer mod by far now. Huge bonus it just fits with every other WAD ever unike smooth/brutal doom etc.

I like to point few things:

- There are some white spots on chaingun sprite, it is not properly cropped

- Gib death sound is way too loud compared to other sounds, like killing a revenant almost give no satisfaction compared to gibbing humanoid demons because of the low sound effect instead of splashy blood caboom effect

- Plasma gun alternate fire is overpowered, kinda breaks balance IMO :d

- Chainsaw wall hitting sound makes me want to kill myself, cant stand it :(

I will probably edit those for my personal use if you find them not useful or stopped working on mod, but wanted to share my thoughts :)
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I don't know if this is intentional, but I noticed a small delay when alternating between the SSG's single and double fire right after reloading. I fixed it on my end by commenting out one or two lines in the fire state or reducing their tic length to 0.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Hey guys, just letting you know the new version is in the works. No release date yet, but hopefully soon (I'd love to be done before New Year's). It'll probably mostly be about the visuals.

umutulutas wrote: - Chainsaw wall hitting sound makes me want to kill myself, cant stand it :(
There's an option to disable ricochet and spark sounds, it affects chainsaw wall spark as well, making it silent.

I'll take a look at the other things you mentioned.
DabbingSquidward wrote:I don't know if this is intentional, but I noticed a small delay when alternating between the SSG's single and double fire right after reloading. I fixed it on my end by commenting out one or two lines in the fire state or reducing their tic length to 0.
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you posted the part of the code you commented, it might help.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:I'm not sure what you mean, but if you posted the part of the code you commented, it might help.
In BW_SSG:

Code: Select all

Reload.Enhanced:
TNT1 A 0 A_Refire
SH2S H 1
//SH2N A 5 <- This one I commented out.
SH2N A 0 A_Refire //5 <-This one I changed from 5 to 0.
I don't know why there are 2 A_Refire Codepointers, but normally there is a 10 tic delay after the reload animation is finished if you try to use the altfire after the primary fire and vice versa. I hope you understand :)

Edit: First, use the primary fire to fire both barrels at once, then during the reloading animation let go of the primary and then hold down the secondary fire. You should notice a delay of about 10 tics. Reloading after the secondary fire/one barrel and then switching to the primary fire gives the same result.

I'd like to attach two GIFs as demonstration, but I don't know how.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

i noticed that pause between shots too
Jekyll Grim Payne

DabbingSquidward wrote:
I don't know why there are 2 A_Refire Codepointers, but normally there is a 10 tic delay after the reload animation is finished if you try to use the altfire after the primary fire and vice versa. I hope you understand :)
This is how original SSG actually works. If you keep holding the fire button while firing, you'll fire a bit faster than if you let go of it. Here:

Code: Select all

Fire:
    SHT2 A 3
    SHT2 A 7 A_FireShotgun2
    SHT2 B 7
    SHT2 C 7 A_CheckReload
    SHT2 D 7 A_OpenShotgun2
    SHT2 E 7
    SHT2 F 7 A_LoadShotgun2
    SHT2 G 6
    SHT2 H 6 A_CloseShotgun2 //first refire
    SHT2 A 5 A_ReFire //second refire 6 tics later
    Goto Ready
A_CloseShotgun2 plays the sound "weapons/sshotc" and calls A_ReFire. So essentially there are two A_ReFire functions here and I imitate the same behavior in that part of the code you quoted.

However, it does indeed produce a problem. A_ReFire allows returning only to the fire (or hold) state of the attack you originally used. So if you started a primary attack and reached A_ReFire state, it can only let you go back to the primary attack's fire (or hold) state, but not to the secondary's. And vice versa. That's why that delay occurs: it's the delay that is supposed to occur in case you fire once and don't hold your fire button.

Removing it would slightly change the vanilla behavior, although in practice it doesn't occur often (you'd have to let go of the fire button and then press it again at a very specific time to notice it). Since it only affects the Enhanced version of the SSG, I think I can fix it without noticeably altering its behavior.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Like this mod a lot. Highly addictive. It just adds quality to many aspects of a game. Thanks for creating this.
One of great things of Beautiful Doom is modularity: weapons, monsters, and objects can be used separately. I rarely see this in mods. I wish that was the standard of modding.

One minor bug I noticed: when Beautiful Doom is used without weapons (BDoom_Weapons.wad), some monsters (zombie, shotgunguy, chaingunguy, arachnotron, cyberdemon, and wolfensteinss) are silent when shooting, because they use sounds from "weapons/...". For myself I created a patch which adds those sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cabh5h4o74jmb ... s.pk3?dl=0. Maybe it is better to add those sounds to BDoom_Monsters.wad in next version? It will enhance BD's compatibility with other weapon mods.
Jekyll Grim Payne

m8f wrote:Like this mod a lot. Highly addictive. It just adds quality to many aspects of a game. Thanks for creating this.
One of great things of Beautiful Doom is modularity: weapons, monsters, and objects can be used separately. I rarely see this in mods. I wish that was the standard of modding.

One minor bug I noticed: when Beautiful Doom is used without weapons (BDoom_Weapons.wad), some monsters (zombie, shotgunguy, chaingunguy, arachnotron, cyberdemon, and wolfensteinss) are silent when shooting, because they use sounds from "weapons/...". For myself I created a patch which adds those sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cabh5h4o74jmb ... s.pk3?dl=0. Maybe it is better to add those sounds to BDoom_Monsters.wad in next version? It will enhance BD's compatibility with other weapon mods.
I'm sorry to say the next version it's not going to be modular. This feature was actually used very rarely and it made it really hard to keep track of all the files to check if the modules actually were standalone. The next version is going to be a neat pk3 with proper pk3 structure. However, if you want to avoid using something, you'll be able to comment certain strings in DECORATE, so that files from Monsters folder or Weapons folder simply aren't loaded.
dontpokethebear3893

Post by dontpokethebear3893 »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:Hey guys, just letting you know the new version is in the works. No release date yet, but hopefully soon (I'd love to be done before New Year's). It'll probably mostly be about the visuals.
Nice. Are these updated visuals going to be made from scratch or sourced from other mods like recent Brutal Doom? Will it take advantage of newer GZDoom features?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”