GII Overkill [Version 2.3!] NOW WITH 2.7mm KOLIBRI!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
15098D

Re: GII Overkill [Version 2.1!] IMAGE ERRORS ARE FIXED,COMRA

Post by 15098D »

I am definitely working on this more C: Expect an update in the near future
15098D

Re: GII Overkill [Version 2.2!] MORE THINGS!

Post by 15098D »

And that update is now!

EDIT: The next update will be... I don't know when
15098D

Re: GII Overkill [Version 2.3!] NOW WITH 2.7mm KOLIBRI!

Post by 15098D »

Welcome our new weapon: The 2.7mm Kolibri!
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I'm in the mood for some overpowered fun, so I began playing this mod today.

It booted fine and I haven't played beyond a few levels to test it out, so no full feedback yet.

However, I did want to comment that the health/armor pickup sounds are very loud and I'm hoping the next version would significantly decrease their volume.

EDIT: Two playthroughs later, its alright. There are no other bugs beyond the loud hp sound, everything works adequately.

The mod itself feels more like a collection of various interesting experiments for exotic weapon ideas, some of which are pretty cool and fun to use, thought there are some more simple weapons that are basically shotgun, autoshotgun or machinegun variants with differing bullet spread, damage and rate of fire without any balance, with some weapons clearly outclassing others.

Playing the mod felt mediocre, with some novel moments that felt satisfying on just blasting through hordes of enemies with a particular weapon that had a satisfying firing sound and packed a decent punch, though it got old rather quickly dispite the dizzying amount of weapons on offer. Nothing felt serious or cohesive, just a sandbox of cool prototypes. I'd say its more useful and interesting to modders as a resource for looking into how to create some of the more special weapons and less as an actual game experience to play with.

I'm going to try to "Balanced" difficulty next, maybe that'll spice things up.

EDIT 2:

Balanced was both good and bad. Just completed a playthrough with it.

Since enemies were 110x health, it made encounters slow enough that I could appreciate each monster a bit more. Weapon firepower was just similar enough to vanilla doom that it indeed seemed like the mod was now being played like an ordinary game, with some opportunities for damage upgrade items to make my character stronger as the game goes on.

On the flip side, I ran into a masterspidercybie morph boss that had absurd amounts of health that was a geniune bullet sponge, which was not enjoyable. I also ran into a "Trump"; a bfg wielding monster that as soon as it sees me, I will instantly die no matter what, even if I have god mode on. I'm guessing this is meant as a joke, since the kill message says I got killed by copyright, but for a gameplay experience it felt terrible. Though maybe that was the whole point; to let the player feel what the bad sides of copyright bullshit feel like. In that case, it nailed it.

In balanced the differences in weapon usefulness were also exaggerated, meaning certain weapons were objectively better than others, causing me to rely on a tiny selection of a few guns out of an arsenal of 30-40 weapons that I was carrying.

All in all, I had a few moments of happiness with this mod. Its definitely best as a learning resources sandbox for modders to explore for creative weapon ideas and less so as an actual thing to play. Its got a few gimmicks that made my smile and laugh, so its worth a curious try at the very least, if nothing else.
Bread Knight

Post by Bread Knight »

this reminds me a lot of when i made Too Many Super Shotguns, fuck all in polish and just a shitton of ideas. honestly i can tell you have quite the ambition towards mod making and i think you could make some decent shit in the future(also try organise the mod folders inside the mod). best of luck my dude
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

I dunno how I can put this... The mod isint the best, but its not a bad mod either. Bit of a middle ground on this one. As Pillowblaster stated, it just needs plenty of Polish. I feel this is more made with Slaughter Wads in mind, what with the immense damage from the weapons.
Dont be discouraged, I see potential here!

By the way, how did you come up with half of the weapon names?
15098D

Post by 15098D »

Bread Knight wrote:this reminds me a lot of when i made Too Many Super Shotguns, fuck all in polish and just a shitton of ideas. honestly i can tell you have quite the ambition towards mod making and i think you could make some decent shit in the future(also try organise the mod folders inside the mod). best of luck my dude
Thank you! Yes, the mod is more just a conglomeration of ideas and it’s nice to know you see potential in it.
15098D

Post by 15098D »

UTNerd24 wrote:I dunno how I can put this... The mod isint the best, but its not a bad mod either. Bit of a middle ground on this one. As Pillowblaster stated, it just needs plenty of Polish. I feel this is more made with Slaughter Wads in mind, what with the immense damage from the weapons.
Dont be discouraged, I see potential here!

By the way, how did you come up with half of the weapon names?
Oddly enough I didn’t make this with slaughter wads in mind, I didn’t make it with anything in mind really. I definitely agree that it lacks polish since it’s more of an experiment than anything else. As for weapon names, Step 1: Translate a fitting word into Russian or German. Step 2: Change the word slightly. Or I just make up a Russian sounding name : P
longlong2002
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by longlong2002 »

found two issues one rashki shotgun when turn on inf ammo mode if shoot with rashki shotgun mouse1 that cause game freezing and vlad also same issue except shoot projectile does not cause game crash
but rather endless shot until turn off inf ammo mode
longlong2002
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by longlong2002 »

Flying Bullet PROJECTILE and Wee bomb PROJECTILE had clipping wall issue

Return to “Gameplay Mods”