Doom - Project: Horror [UPDATED 12/4] ZANDRO COMPAT

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Seidolon

Doom - Project: Horror [UPDATED 12/4] ZANDRO COMPAT

Post by Seidolon »

Old Stuff:
Hey guys! This is a bit of an experimental concept I am trying out. There's very little finished right now, but I hope to expand on it greatly over time. I don't exactly have much to say about it, so try it out and tell me what you think. USE GZDOOM!

Old Update 5/29/2017:
After a lot of work over the past couple days, I made a lot of progress for this mod. Plenty of new baddies. It's still not as scary as I'd like, but at least I can say I tried. Tested with latest stable GZDoom build (3.0.1). Works with both Ultimate: Doom and Doom 2 (And probably Final Doom, although that's not been tested yet). FEEDBACK IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!@#?@#$!@%!#?!^4

Update 12/4/2018:
Replaced all the weapons, added new enemies, items, and give the SG and SSG two new types of ammo for more dynamic gameplay. Also, ZANDRONUM COMPATIBLE. Lots of more polishing as well. Enjoi!i!i!i!i!

I can't seem to get the images to work. I read about the new imgur tag and I tried doing what I was supposed to but it just didn't work. Sorry but you'll have to use your imagination with the enemies. I put some in-depth descriptions of them below.
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Weapons/Items
Spoiler: Beastiary
Download V 3.0 NOW!!!!!!! - *removed*

Have a TERRIFYING day!
Last edited by Seidolon on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [ALPHA] Doom Horror Project WIP

Post by RastaManGames »

I guess it's Global Mod like a "Lasting Light" (for GZDoom) or "ButtPain" (for Zandronum) with randomly spawning scary monsters on every level?
Also i want more scary creatures!
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

I would have added much more scary dudes, except for the fact that it is difficult to find any horror styled sprites for doom. They are mostly cartoony which is why horror mods fail usually. I could use some help creating scary sprites though. Luckily, I would only need a couple sprites for each guy since rotations don't really matter in this situation.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that I am creating more scary dudes for the mod!
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

Glad hear that!
I love this mod and playing with him in many WADs!
Seidolon

Re: Doom - Project: Horror [UPDATED]

Post by Seidolon »

UPDATED!!!!!! Apparently someone didn't realize that I bumped my project earlier because it was updated, so it was put into the gallery of useless bumps. I didn't really think it needed explaining that the bump was for an update, since why else would I bump my own project? For the fun of it? Nah. Plus, it now says UPDATE in the thread title. Take this crappy horror mod and try it out. Download in OP.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

It's scary in a spooky scary Halloween kind of way, I'd say. It's actually pretty amusing. Can't wait to see what else comes of this mod.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

I reuploaded a bug fix version because the I didn't take into account before of people using different screen resolutions than me, so the status bars were kinda fucked up. Right now, you'll probably still have to change with your screen resolution/hud scaling to get it to work perfect. I use 640x400 and I found that a scale of 1 for the fullscreen and scale of 2 for the normal status bar worked right.

EDIT: Updated screenshots!
Deii

Post by Deii »

This is pretty good, aside of that...programmer-based thingy. That one and the doomguy head can go die in a fire.

Also, plans for more modified weapons to be added? I quite enjoyed using the shotgun and assault rifle!
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Yeah, I plan on adding more weapon replacements.
SleepyPiggy64

Post by SleepyPiggy64 »

Congrats, this is the first mod I've ever played that has really freaked me out. The Face of Doom is the stuff of nightmares, no joke. Right now, the only thing I really want is for the rest of the the vanilla weapons to be replaced. None the less though, I love this mod.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Thanks. I'm taking a break from the forums for a while, so I'm going to be posting videos on my youtube page to update this from now on. Email me a pete_hunt@comcast.net if you have questions. Now that I've got all my active projects squared away for my absence, I'm probably not going to be here again for a while.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

I have to say I like this mod and I find it quite...what's the word...compatible, to doom styled maps. Background music and darkness really creates the atmosphere of a horror game. Monsters/enemies in the mod are very creative and weapons are good. Only thing I found a that is bit incomplete are weapons and difficulty system which is currently a bit silly and randomized but, if you continue with this mod you have my full support I like it.
I'd like to see more from this mod :wink: :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

This is a pretty cool little mod. I like the enemies I've seen so far, weapons feel okay. The Mutant feels a little too powerful though. It takes a lot of shots and does a lot of damage to the player easily. I particularly like the laser sights on some of the weapons, it's cool how they give off some light for the player. Where can we find your Youtube channel to see updates?
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

*Sees Face of Doom*

Woah...oooookaaaayyyy...
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

I really like this and I look forward to what other monstrocities you can come up with.

However, I've got a few qualms with the beastiery.

1. The Freak is basically a waiting game/patience monster since he only appears for a extremely short period, and you really don't want to deal with anything else in the meantime so he's basically a 5-10 minute wait to kill him unless you get super lucky and nail him with a ssg shot. That said, I was completely unaware that the flare would actually stun this guy, and I do wish you could toss the flares instead, so you could maybe see it actually stun a wandering Freak (If you do, please integrate them with the weapons tho so it's just a press of the button, that way when players don't have to waste time switching between weapons)

2. The DeathSkull and the Seeker both fall victim to something similar, lots of waiting for it to appear so you can kill it. Once you get what they do, they just wind up being very boring to fight, and you can't really ignore them.

3. The SpectralDemon does a horrendous amount of damage for an enemy that can go wherever it pleases, coupled with the fact it has ArchVile levels of health makes for pretty unfair fight, since it can just pop up, hit you, and leave without you ever knowing what hit you and, since you need room to actually dodge it, if a DoomFace/Freak/DeathSkull creeps up, you're pretty much dead, even with 200 armor / 200 hp.

4. I don't think the watcher actually works? At least, when I tried "summon watcher" it never did anything significant.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”