Page 8 of 17

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.2 Released! [GPMG]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:56 pm
by TheRailgunner
DMBlade wrote:Hey, I've just joined this place as I wanted to say, I've found a huge problem with this mod:

Whenever I shoot certain weapons in this, it snaps the direction that I'm facing to a pre-determined direction. To further elaborate this, the instant I pull the trigger on some of those weapons, all of a sudden, I'm likely facing away from the enemy that I was shooting at.

Granted, not all of them are affected by this, however, the semi-auto shotgun, the automatic rifle, burst-fire rifle, & the blood-red sword are affected by this.

I'm not sure if more of your weapons have that problem, as I haven't gotten the rest of the weapons in this mod. I'm also not sure if this is an actual bug or something that I could do on my end.

So, please tell me if there's a way to fix that, or if it'll be fixed in the next version... I'd really would love to keep playing this.


This sounds like a problem with A_SetAngle - the auto-shotgun, revolver, explosive railgun, beam rifle, and BFG only use A_SetPitch while the semi-auto shotgun, burst-fire rifle, machine gun, and fusion rifle all use A_SetAngle along with A_SetPitch to create a leftward-and-up kick (the Demon's Blood Sword just uses A_SetAngle to create a sweeping slash).

I've replicated the bug in the 21 April 2016 build of GZDoom - The Trooper's basically broken until it gets fixed, and I can't really do anything about it since it's not really an issue with the mod, but with one of ZDoom's core functions. I'm gonna see if the previous build still works.

EDIT: The 19 April 2016 build (2.2pre-1318) does not have this bug.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.2 Released! [GPMG]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:40 pm
by DMBlade
Yes, I've just went to the April 19th build after Weasel said that it was a zDoom bug. Here's hoping that it gets fixed soon...

Aside from that, I've no further issues for the time being.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.3 Released! [NERF IT ALL]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:42 am
by TheRailgunner
So, I've drastically reduced damage values across the board and rearranged the slots - Sturmman M97 moves to slot 5, the GPMG to 6, Last Salvo to 7, DGA-3 to 8, Sharpshooter Arm to 9, and Crimson Spectre to 0. I've also changed the Surfeit Torment''s altfire - it now fires conventional (non-explosive) bullets, and has its own ammo type. To compensate for the lack of explosiveness, it is now equally as accurate as the primary fire.

*Surfeit Torment now deals 8d3+13d3 explosive instead of 10d3+15d3 explosive
*VSK7 Nightshade deals 8(random(5,6))d3 instead of 8(random(6,8))
*Sturmman M97 deals 8(random(5,7))d3 instead of 8(random(7,9))
*Sokova 46 deals random(5,6)d3 instead of random(8,12)d3
*Pulsar-D deals random(16,20)d3 instead of random(24,28)d3
*GPMG deals random(20,24)d3 instead of random(32,36)d3
*Last Salvo deals 11x(2d3+9d3 explosive)+(9d3+9d3 explosive) instead of 11x(3d3+10 explosive)+(10d3+10d3 explosive)
*Sokova 46 altfire deals 30d3+60d3 explosive instead of 30d3+100d3 explosive

The player now spawns with twelve normal bullets in addition to the normal twenty-four explosive ones.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.3 Released! [NERF IT ALL]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:10 am
by Nevander
Just gotta say those are the sexiest muzzle flashes I've ever seen on a Doom sprite.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.3 Released! [NERF IT ALL]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:27 pm
by TheRailgunner
Nevander wrote:Just gotta say those are the sexiest muzzle flashes I've ever seen on a Doom sprite.


Everything I know I more or less owe to zrriontheinsect (including the flashes themselves - they're modified from zrrion's Rage sprites).

I've fixed the Arachnotron's brokenness (jumps to the missile state didn't compensate for the additional lines the fear/cover mechanic uses) and reduced the GPMG's ammo count from 300/400 and 150/200 to 150/200 and 75/100, given that it is the heaviest rifle in the game and shouldn't have more ammo than the Sokova 46 (240/300) or Pulsar-D (180/240). The damage changes should be enough to prevent anyone from mono-gunning everything since most of the weapons are barely stronger than their Doom counterparts and the enemies are more responsive.

Imps are slightly less aggressive now.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.3 Released! [NERF IT ALL]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:30 am
by Armaetus
Does the April 23rd (or later) GZDoom dev build fix the A_SetAngle bug mentioned?

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:28 pm
by TheRailgunner
Glaice wrote:Does the April 23rd (or later) GZDoom dev build fix the A_SetAngle bug mentioned?


It does!

I'm trying a few new things with monster AI - when sent into the running state, enemies will attempt to take cover behind corners and such to break the player's line of sight, eventually returning to the See state if cover cannot be found. If cover can be found, enemies will lie in wait for a moment before returning to battle.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:53 am
by Armaetus
This mod actually makes the zombies pretty dangerous to deal with if one's not careful but speeding up the monster projectiles combined with their increased attack frequency I could do without :P Other than that gripe and the recoil (tone it down a tinge for the Sokova perhaps?), I like the mod so far.

I tried to run it with my RDND mod but must run it afterwards to run mostly normally as it overrides some of the enemy death states if loaded after but loaded before it messes with the zombie gun sounds.

I'll get up a Doom Mod Showcase video showing off this mod with some random Oblige maps in a bit to show the chaos one can deal with with concentrations of monsters.


Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:04 pm
by TheRailgunner
Glaice wrote:This mod actually makes the zombies pretty dangerous to deal with if one's not careful but speeding up the monster projectiles combined with their increased attack frequency I could do without :P Other than that gripe and the recoil (tone it down a tinge for the Sokova perhaps?), I like the mod so far.

I tried to run it with my RDND mod but must run it afterwards to run mostly normally as it overrides some of the enemy death states if loaded after but loaded before it messes with the zombie gun sounds.

I'll get up a Doom Mod Showcase video showing off this mod with some random Oblige maps in a bit to show the chaos one can deal with with concentrations of monsters.



RDND?

Do you mind if I put this video on the OP?

I may do something about the monster projectiles - there's just something jarring about Doomguy being able to outrun a fireball...

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:23 pm
by Armaetus
Go right ahead, and RDND is my own mod put together from other assets. It's basically a super light Brutal Doom without all the bullshit attached to it and very compatible with most weapon mods.

It looks like I'm gonna have to combine the mods to get what I want (Done! Get it here!), you're free to use it as a base if you want to.

Also, I think the use of refire on the enemies is making them a bit too aggressive...maybe lower the refire chance?

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:37 am
by TheRailgunner
Glaice wrote:Go right ahead, and RDND is my own mod put together from other assets. It's basically a super light Brutal Doom without all the bullshit attached to it and very compatible with most weapon mods.

It looks like I'm gonna have to combine the mods to get what I want (Done! Get it here!), you're free to use it as a base if you want to.

Also, I think the use of refire on the enemies is making them a bit too aggressive...maybe lower the refire chance?


I've updated the refire chances on projectile-throwing enemies. I lowered them for a bit on the hitscanners for a while, but they kind of proved somewhat hapless afterward.

I've also applied this to your RDND combo pk3.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:36 pm
by Armaetus
I can't seem to download that, it brings me to the sign-in page. Try mega.nz or mediafire?

Also, what did you alter?

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:23 pm
by TheRailgunner
Glaice wrote:I can't seem to download that, it brings me to the sign-in page. Try mega.nz or mediafire?

Also, what did you alter?


Sorry, try this one instead.

I mainly lowered refire chance for projectile-based enemies, most strongly for Imps.

The extra sounds for zombies sound a bit out of place in my opinion.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:57 pm
by Armaetus
This is definitely better with the monsters not being a bunch of coked up fiends shooting the moment they see the player.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.4 Released! [AI UPDATE]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:19 pm
by TheRailgunner
Glaice wrote:This is definitely better with the monsters not being a bunch of coked up fiends shooting the moment they see the player.


Yeah - it still manages to be plenty difficult, though. The extra sounds are starting to grow on me.