[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.4 Released! [HITBOXES ARE FIXED]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x9 Released! [8 April 2016]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Are you able to get special ammo anywhere else besides a backpack?

I usually don't like ammo types, but the ones in this mod are very solid, although I'm not a big fan of the Salvo's alt fire.
I pushed an update that adds in perforated railgun slug boxes - otherwise, they have a 1-in-256 chance of spawning in the place of normal ammo. Explosive shells spawn in groups of 2 and 8, while slug shells spawn in groups of 2 and 16. I also reduced the Last Salvo's projectile to two visible projectiles (was 3). In general, I want alternate ammo to be significantly more powerful - and thus rarer - than normal ammo (the LS' altfire is best used against groups because of its spread, though it does more damage overall if all shots connect on a single target).

Also, Fusion ammo has a new pickup sprite, and Crimson Spectre mines now have improved physics.

EDIT: I've uploaded a balance tweak - Surfeit Torment is no longer guaranteed to one-shot a shotgunner, VSK7 altfire deals a lot more damage (and has a larger hazard radius), Last Salvo has a much larger hazard radius, M97 deals less damage per pellet but has a tighter spread and a slight altfire damage increase, and AS-46 deals less damage overall. Also, every so often an M97 will spawn loaded with slugs.

In the meantime, I'm gonna see about finishing that Sharpshooter Arm...

EDIT II: Crimson Spectre projectiles and mines now have a vacuum effect. The knife now draws you closer to the target from a greater distance, similar to melee attacks in Destiny.
TheRailgunner

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x10 Released! [11 April 2016]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Yeah, yeah, double post and all, but...UPDATE:

*DGA-3 sprites moved 10 pixels to the right.
*DGA-3 now has a new alternate firing mode with its own ammo type - classic plasma rifle mode.
*M97 slug damage fixed - had previously set it at double.
*Both shotguns reworked - both shoot 8 pellets per shell at higher damage instead of 12.
*M97 select animation smoothed out a little.

I'm open to powerup/enemy/weapon/balance suggestions, if anyone is so inclined. If one of those is "fix the fusion rifle's muzzle flash", I'll get on that soon.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x10 Released! [11 April 2016]

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I was just gonna say something about the fusion's muzzle flash.

Also, the DGA's alt fire seems a little too powerful compared to it's regular fire, since it takes longer than the alt fire.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

If any weapon needs some form of upgrade or something then I would say give the AS-46 some extra stuff like Rifle Grenades/Under Barrel Grenade Launcher for altfire (Also the grenade bounces so you can bank it around corners) so it does not become completely redundant/useless when the player acquires the later tiered weapons.

And maybe pick up another revolver to dual wield for double damage output ( I'm assuming since the protagonist had some serious military training and maybe had gone through some augmentation process of some kind to deal with the recoil and other stuff that matters "well recoil compared to the Sturmman M97 AutoShotgun and the Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis"
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:I was just gonna say something about the fusion's muzzle flash.

Also, the DGA's alt fire seems a little too powerful compared to it's regular fire, since it takes longer than the alt fire.
I guess so - I mean, I personally like the idea of the altfires being noticeably more powerful than their normal counterparts, but I've brought the altfire's damage down enough to make it only slightly more powerful than the vanilla Plasma Rifle. I also re-positioned the M97's slugs to make it much more obvious that two projectiles are being fired.
The Thing Thing wrote:If any weapon needs some form of upgrade or something then I would say give the AS-46 some extra stuff like Rifle Grenades/Under Barrel Grenade Launcher for altfire (Also the grenade bounces so you can bank it around corners) so it does not become completely redundant/useless when the player acquires the later tiered weapons.

And maybe pick up another revolver to dual wield for double damage output ( I'm assuming since the protagonist had some serious military training and maybe had gone through some augmentation process of some kind to deal with the recoil and other stuff that matters "well recoil compared to the Sturmman M97 AutoShotgun and the Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis"
As far as the AS-46 goes, I sort of saw it as being, well, boring - the Pulsar-D basically acts as an altfire to the Sokova. That, and I honestly hate grenade physics. I'd have to resprite the AS-46 to include something resembling a GP-25/34.

Dammit, I actually might add an underbarrel GL - I have a M203 sprite that I could mess around with (not doing rifle grenades, though).

As far as the revolver goes...I'm not giving that thing dual wielding. Mostly because the existing sprite set has him holding the gun with both hands, but also since normal and altfire are taken, leaving no room for synthfire. I HAVE been considering adding a dual-wieldable sidearm, but if I do, it won't be the Surfeit Torment - it's one-of-a-kind, and requires both hands.

EDIT: I'm definitely adding an underbarrel GL for the AS-46. It'll be shorter and mounted more forward than a GP-series launcher normally is, mostly because I'm too lazy to adjust the position of the Doomguy hand. The Pulsar-D will not have an altfire, or at least not the same altfire - it's honestly powerful enough as it is.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I thought of an idea for a M97 alt fire if that's alright.

The Dark Marker from Enter the Gungeon shoots two big bullets that move in a double helix pattern. When they meet... KABOOM! Maybe this could be an altfire for the M97: firing two slugs that meet together for a blue and red or regular colored explosion.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

That explosive pistol is a thing of beauty, and I'm digging the feel of the weaponry in general. Loving this mod, lotta fun!
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x11 Released! [12 April 2016]

Post by TheRailgunner »

JudgeGroovy wrote:That explosive pistol is a thing of beauty, and I'm digging the feel of the weaponry in general. Loving this mod, lotta fun!
That seems to be the most consistent theme in The Trooper's user feedback - that the Surfeit Torment is bloody amazing and you can do just about anything with it. I may have tacked that second part on myself, but given no other weapons and a bunch of bullets...

Anyway, the Sokova 46 now has a grenade launcher altfire - grenades launched from the AS-46 detonate on impact (mostly because FastProjectile = no bouncing). Its ammo occasionally spawns in the place of the pistol clip, AS-46 magazine, and the odd rocket or box.

EDIT: Updated the Sokova 46 pickup sprite to show the underbarrel GL. In addition, the first AS-46 you pickup will always give you one grenade. Revenant tracer missiles no longer spawn Bueller puffs (thank you, wildweasel and Enjay).

Working on a new Pulsar-D set. Also:

QUAD DAMAGE!
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x12 Released! [QUAD DAMAGE]

Post by TheRailgunner »

The Quad Damage update is here, and with it, crosshairs!

Quad Damage items replace the Blursphere, and are additive, so you can stack the timers on them. The Quad Damage stacks with Berserk, so expect melee attacks to do a lot of damage.

I've also lowered ammo capacity across the board, as I felt that "one-gunning" was too feasible in routine gameplay.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i'm a bit against replacing the blursphere with a damage-up powerup
if you want to know why, boot up sunlust map05 and find the blursphere
that's why

suggestion time: randomize quad damage and berserk on berserk spawns
and make the quad give a full heal because berserk is sometimes used solely for that
alternatively just give the quad damage a defense boost, as it replaces the defense oriented powerup
alternatively alternatively bundle quad damage with invulnerability to encourage GO AND KILL mentality even further

also the revolver seems kinda wimpy damag wise
the explosion is more detrimental at close range than it is useful against groups
it kills chaingunners with one or two less shots than the assault rifle
and the rifle fire very fast

ssg shell belt animation when

a few more things:
since mappers like to put clips around chainguns, would be nice if ar mags would sometimes spawn instead of revolver clips
as fancy as the new crosshairs are, they are bit, eh, overdesigned?
very large a jumble of thick lines make it hard to see what i'm aiming at (i'm used to using the zdoom dot crosshair, mind). with crosshair-grow-on-pickup i find it quite dizzying
Last edited by comet1337 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redead-ITA

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x11 Released! [12 April 2016]

Post by Redead-ITA »

TheRailgunner wrote: Image

QUAD DAMAGE!
You know what im gonna play with the name a little

ImageImageImageImage

SQUAD DAMAGE

Super Way Atomic Gage DAMAGE

im sorry is that i like to play with the name

I also love the mod if you were asking
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

comet1338 wrote:i'm a bit against replacing the blursphere with a damage-up powerup
if you want to know why, boot up sunlust map05 and find the blursphere
that's why

suggestion time: randomize quad damage and berserk on berserk spawns
and make the quad give a full heal because berserk is sometimes used solely for that
alternatively just give the quad damage a defense boost, as it replaces the defense oriented powerup
alternatively alternatively bundle quad damage with invulnerability to encourage GO AND KILL mentality even further

also the revolver seems kinda wimpy damag wise
the explosion is more detrimental at close range than it is useful against groups
it kills chaingunners with one or two less shots than the assault rifle
and the rifle fire very fast

ssg shell belt animation when

a few more things:
since mappers like to put clips around chainguns, would be nice if ar mags would sometimes spawn instead of revolver clips
as fancy as the new crosshairs are, they are bit, eh, overdesigned?
very large a jumble of thick lines make it hard to see what i'm aiming at (i'm used to using the zdoom dot crosshair, mind). with crosshair-grow-on-pickup i find it quite dizzying
The Surfeit Torment is an almost guaranteed kill on a zombieman or shotgunner, and can kill a healthy imp in two to three shots. By comparison, the vanilla Pistol requires six to seven to take down an imp. I see no reason to make it more powerful than it already is.

If I randomize QD and Berserk spawns, the chances of getting Berserk+Quad Damage drops pretty significantly - bear in mind that not many maps have more than one Berserk box.

Sunlust's Map 05 throws a wall of chaingunners at you. I can see WHY you're against the Blursphere replacement, but in my experience, Blurspheres usually just get me killed and impart little gameplay value apart from being invisible until you shoot next or run in front of the wrong enemy (Dead Simple, anyone?). I've considered replacing, say, the Light Amp and the Megasphere, but Light Amps aren't really utilized beyond Ultimate Doom and Megaspheres are too rare. Invulnerability is a no-go - The Trooper's weapons are powerful enough to take advantage of invulnerability without a damage buff. I don't think Quad Damage should give a defensive buff.

The Trooper's Berserk powerup only heals 50 health, to balance it against the overwhelming damage the melee weapons are capable of with it. I may figure out a suitable rearrangement of powerups as to leave the Blursphere's capabilities untouched while still providing the Daily Value of Quad Damage we all need in our diets.

I'll see what I can do about the crosshairs - some I might simplify/scale down, but I'd suggest disabling crosshair-grow-on-pickup for now (I normally don't play with crosshairs).

I'll animate the SSG's belt when I'm good and ready. Also, probably when/if I ever do reloads. Basically, when I can go back and give the Surfeit Torment visible kickback frames and cylinder rotation, and the VSK7 a more proper recoil animation - it's not my highest priority.

I might randomize clips and AR mags, though the assault rifle comes with three times the ammo a Chaingun does - we shall see.

EDIT: I've updated the crosshairs, most of them should be more comfortable now. Surfeit Torment's explosive damage to groups is now much more noticeable. The first AS-46 you pickup will give you 30 rounds - future pickups only give 10. Clusters of 10 AS-46 rounds will sometimes replace explosive magnum clips. *cough*Sunlust*cough*
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

new changes are very good indeed
magnum is significantly better at tight groups, but the altfire gets messed up with quad damage active
crosshairs are managable now
just noticed the sword gets fancy purple effects with quad damage and the antimatter mines change color too

the explosions for the explosive shells and railgun are pretty darn big compared to their effects
especially the railgun. a shockwave effect that goes 1:1 with the explosion size would help gauge out at what distance it's safe to use them
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

comet1338 wrote:new changes are very good indeed
magnum is significantly better at tight groups, but the altfire gets messed up with quad damage active
crosshairs are managable now
just noticed the sword gets fancy purple effects with quad damage and the antimatter mines change color too

the explosions for the explosive shells and railgun are pretty darn big compared to their effects
especially the railgun. a shockwave effect that goes 1:1 with the explosion size would help gauge out at what distance it's safe to use them
I'll try to size up the explosion effects to give them a more visible hazard radius. How exactly does the altfire get messed up - does it behave strangely, or is it just unfair? Altfire testing has actually become quite difficult as my right mouse button almost never functions anymore.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

TheRailgunner wrote:How exactly does the altfire get messed up - does it behave strangely, or is it just unfair?
it's semi auto just like the primary fire

Return to “Gameplay Mods”