[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.4 Released! [HITBOXES ARE FIXED]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomguy5th

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x1 Released! [2 April 2016]

Post by Doomguy5th »

TheRailgunner wrote:I'm working on replacing the BFG with this:

ImageImage

Mostly because I don't want the VSK7 suddenly becoming useless once you get a Torment SR, but also because look at that fucking monstrosity. The grip on the pickup sprite does look a bit big - it makes the gun look smaller than it really is...
That looks outstanding indeed. Wonder what the Rocket launcher replacement would be.

Also this mod is great with Zandronum 3.0, but that Auto SSG though... It feels like the Zandronum bots don't have recoil, and you're the only one to suffer it :P
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

This mod is REALLY good. The weapons feel amazing to use, and so satisfying (the sounds are top notch) Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what you add in next :D
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

LedIris wrote:This mod is REALLY good. The weapons feel amazing to use, and so satisfying (the sounds are top notch) Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what you add in next :D
The Crimson Spectre Antimatter Cannon has arrived, if you are so inclined. :D
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

TheRailgunner wrote:
LedIris wrote:This mod is REALLY good. The weapons feel amazing to use, and so satisfying (the sounds are top notch) Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what you add in next :D
The Crimson Spectre Antimatter Cannon has arrived, if you are so inclined. :D
Just tried it out. And wow :shock: The explosion it delivers is truly devastating :wub: My only gripe is that the idle sound is a bit loud, but that might just be me nitpicking.
TheRailgunner

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x2 Released! [2 April 2016]

Post by TheRailgunner »

I just realized that I fucked up with the CS' explosion - instead of making its extra explosions do damage, I made the Surfeit Torment's bullet do MORE damage. Anyway, it's fixed now. In addition, the Surfeit Torment now behaves slightly differently, in that it's almost guaranteed to gib a zombie in one shot, but doesn't deal more damage overall (an Imp is still around 3 shots, for example). Primarily for aesthetic reasons, as the normal explosion usually dealt the killing blow, preventing the enemy from gibbing properly.
Carrascado

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x2 Released! [2 April 2016]

Post by Carrascado »

The mod is quite nice. The weapons give, in general, a very good feeling, but the automatic shotgun (sturman) has a ludicrous recoil. I would make a lighter recoil for it.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x3 Released! [3 April 2016]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carrascado wrote:The mod is quite nice. The weapons give, in general, a very good feeling, but the automatic shotgun (sturman) has a ludicrous recoil. I would make a lighter recoil for it.
I'll bear that in mind, but I do want the M97's recoil to be uncontrollably ludicrous - both to convey the weapon's power and to discourage exclusive use of it. It's an automatic Super Shotgun that fires 8 gauge shells, and I can't imagine many people on Earth could keep it steady.

On another note, I've simplified the Surfeit Torment's recoil animation - it doesn't look as great (to me), but it removes the clashing graphical styles between the idle and recoiling frames. I also moved all of the Torment's sprites 10 pixels to the right.

EDIT: Messed up a couple of frames, fixed.

EDIT II: The Pulsar-D's dryfire animation apparently contained the firing frame - fixed. I'm on the hunt for a suitable RL replacement sprite...to be honest, I didn't really think about what I would replace the vanilla RL with. Another rocket launcher?
NullWire

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x3 Released! [3 April 2016]

Post by NullWire »

tell me please if you gonna add more weapons and custom monsters (variants), this haves a lot of potential! awesome work :D
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Haven't downloaded the new version yet, but I have a suggestion for a RL. You could have a rail gun be the replacement.

1. Because X weapon's RL replacements are plasma weapons anyway. Plus, I've seriously never seen you work on RL sprites besides a grenade launcher.

2. Because you're profile name is the Rail Gunner, and I was thinking I'd do some player sprites based off of your profile picture if you're interested. :)

Also noticed I'm in the credits now, that's an awesome thing for you to do, thanks. :D
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Quick thing: Crimson spectre sprites aren't widescreen-friendly.
Carbine Dioxide

Yeah, that's a shame. I also never liked how big guns like that just about covered the right half of the screen. Maybe lowering it down a bit would make it a little easier to work on for widescreen. That way you have less stuff to work on, and can half ass it. :P

Quick analysis.

I love the Surfeit Torment, now that it gibs things and has it's recoil frames fixed. I love the Crimson Spectre too. The Fusion now feels a lot better now that it's recoil has been reduced, I think that's what I didn't like about it.

Scratch the rail gun idea, it should be an explosive rail gun, or a anti - mat rifle. :P
Spoiler: Fan made lore
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

I made a voxel patch that replaces the weapon pickup sprites with voxels.
the_trooper_voxels.pk3
Feel free to put this in your mod, or as an optional addon. If you change a pickup sprite for one of your weapons, I'll be quick to update this too.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Wivicer wrote:Quick thing: Crimson spectre sprites aren't widescreen-friendly.
Huh, I figured I was starting from widescreen - ah, well, I'll sort it out soonish-ish.
Carbine Dioxide wrote:Yeah, that's a shame. I also never liked how big guns like that just about covered the right half of the screen. Maybe lowering it down a bit would make it a little easier to work on for widescreen. That way you have less stuff to work on, and can half ass it. :P

Quick analysis.

I love the Surfeit Torment, now that it gibs things and has it's recoil frames fixed. I love the Crimson Spectre too. The Fusion now feels a lot better now that it's recoil has been reduced, I think that's what I didn't like about it.

Scratch the rail gun idea, it should be an explosive rail gun, or a anti - mat rifle. :P
Spoiler: Fan made lore
I'm flattered as hell by the lore, and this next part is gonna make me sound like a total asshole...but I do actually have a character in mind - Joe Nameless, The Trooper. Has a general obliviousness to danger and a proneness to get distracted...by demon-killing. While everyone else either unbit the bullet or ran home, The Trooper stayed. Why? Some say he nobly held back the invasion with heroic sacrifice, but from what I know, he just got lost, and after realizing he had been left behind, decided he liked things better this way. No wonder the UAC keeps him on their payroll.

"Joe Nameless" is actually a title - JN doesn't remember his real name, also probably something something UAC involvement something something. I intend to give this guy some VA (some one-liners, some profanities, some other, likely pointless dialogue), and eventually custom sprites - opposed to the blank-slate mentality surrounding Doomguy or Master Chief, I want this guy to seem colorful and animated, and a good bit crazy (bear in mind he's talking to himself the entire time).

Oh, and I am going to make an exploxive railgun for Slot 5 - basically, it'll do up to a certain amount of damage, passing through anything that can't take it, and stopping at the first entity that can. So, yeah, an explosive railgun. :D
Carbine Dioxide

It's alright man. I just made up that lore for the fun of it, and since you didn't release any yet too. Your's sounds better, more creative. His nickname reminds me of Serious Sam. :P

Yay! Explosive Rail Gun!
TheRailgunner

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x4 Released! [4 April 2016]

Post by TheRailgunner »

I've added the rocket launcher replacement - meet the Last Salvo Explosive Railgun:

ImageImage

It can deal direct damage to up to 12 consecutive targets...or one really big target. Now all I've got to do is replace the Chainsaw and the Fists!

On another note, Pulsar-D ammo now spawns at the same rate as the Pulsar-D, replacing one in every thirty-two Sokova 46 magazines.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”