[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby Mere_Duke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:32 pm

DoomN00b wrote:IT'S FINALLY DONE!!

Well... a working prototype with most enemies having a few random cyber replacements which seems mostly stable, is done. SO! I myself tested it out with Lithium 1.5.3 and Diabolus Ex - so that could be a good start for those whom are interested in checking it out. = )

Let me know what you think guys, and if there are any strange bugs, or clean-up of the code which I need to do! (oh there definitively is... definitively.)

DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer - Cyber Remix v1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/totcy8ijw6kgc ... 1.pk3?dl=0

I highly recommend you to create new thread and rename this addon to "Your Monster Randomizer" while crediting DoomKrakken as the creator of the code it has been based off.
As for the mod itself, haven't found any issues, it's just another good randomizer to my collection. Just repack all files to the root of the archive not to the redundant copied folder :)
User avatar
Mere_Duke
Code Inspector
 
Joined: 28 Aug 2016
Location: Russia

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby MaxRideWizardLord » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:32 pm

I hope it uses the original and unnerfed NPCs from the Realm667?? Unlike the hard doom
User avatar
MaxRideWizardLord
 
Joined: 26 Jan 2016

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby DoomN00b » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 am

Mere_Duke wrote:
DoomN00b wrote:IT'S FINALLY DONE!!

Well... a working prototype with most enemies having a few random cyber replacements which seems mostly stable, is done. SO! I myself tested it out with Lithium 1.5.3 and Diabolus Ex - so that could be a good start for those whom are interested in checking it out. = )

Let me know what you think guys, and if there are any strange bugs, or clean-up of the code which I need to do! (oh there definitively is... definitively.)

DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer - Cyber Remix v1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/totcy8ijw6kgc ... 1.pk3?dl=0

I highly recommend you to create new thread and rename this addon to "Your Monster Randomizer" while crediting DoomKrakken as the creator of the code it has been based off.
As for the mod itself, haven't found any issues, it's just another good randomizer to my collection. Just repack all files to the root of the archive not to the redundant copied folder :)


You know what? I think I'm going to do that quite soon, man! = ) I've done many additions and alterations since last time - it's probably time to let more of the world actually see what I'm working on here.

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:I hope it uses the original and unnerfed NPCs from the Realm667?? Unlike the hard doom


LOL! Sorry man... But I'm nerfing the crap out of most monsters! ; ) I'm also altering behaviour, changing hit-scanners to projectile monsters - also looking into adding a few sounds and effects here and there.

Nerfing is kind of necessary in a randomiser-mod, because otherwise certain maps can become nearly unplayable for the target-audience of my remix: N00b's to Doom. (i.e myself)
User avatar
DoomN00b
 
Joined: 22 Apr 2017

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby MaxRideWizardLord » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:25 pm

DoomN00b wrote:
Mere_Duke wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:I hope it uses the original and unnerfed NPCs from the Realm667?? Unlike the hard doom


LOL! Sorry man... But I'm nerfing the crap out of most monsters! ; ) I'm also altering behaviour, changing hit-scanners to projectile monsters - also looking into adding a few sounds and effects here and there.

Nerfing is kind of necessary in a randomiser-mod, because otherwise certain maps can become nearly unplayable for the target-audience of my remix: N00b's to Doom. (i.e myself)


B-but... isn't randomizer meant to be played with mods that make you OP naturally? ;<<<<<<<<<<<<

Any chance you can make altered version where all monsters are default?? Nerfing is one thing, but changing behavior and switching hitscan to ez2dodge projectiles... That's a bit too much to call a challenge. Altered version with only original\default monsters, plz?
User avatar
MaxRideWizardLord
 
Joined: 26 Jan 2016

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby Dutchygamer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 am

Just a quick heads up:
DoomKrakken has given me his blessing to continue working on this mod. I'm currently slowly rebuilding the mod from scratch, starting with the normal version (not the GC specific variant). I'm revisiting the monster variants, adding some new ones, scrapping some others, rebalancing them so that it is also fun to play in vDoom, etc etc. No clue on any release date, as I am slowly learning Doom modding while doing this.

I am not sure if it is wise to continue my progress in this thread, or it is better to just start a new thread. Any advice would be helpful :)
Dutchygamer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2017

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby ate0ate » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 am

Its great that you have gotten permission to proceed with developing this! I am very interested to see where you take things. I understand the need to balance things with a more vanilla gameplay style, but at the same time part of the appeal with this specific monster randomizer was it's difficulty. There's a lot of rather OP weapon addons out there that this paired quite well with. It's quite helpfully reeling in the power fantasy feel of gameplay mods like guncaster or russian overkill. So long as that difficulty increase is still attainable, I personally welcome some balancing. As for a new thread, I don't know what to recommend. Perhaps release updates on progress here until you have an actual playable release, then open a new thread for it? Then again, I can see the wisdom of starting fresh since you are remaking the mod from the ground up. Either way, I'd hold off until there is a bit more to show, then build interest in a new thread all its own. Just my two cents. Good luck with things, and thank you for taking the reigns!
User avatar
ate0ate
 
Joined: 24 Jun 2018

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby MaxRideWizardLord » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Dutchygamer wrote:Just a quick heads up:
DoomKrakken has given me his blessing to continue working on this mod. I'm currently slowly rebuilding the mod from scratch, starting with the normal version (not the GC specific variant). I'm revisiting the monster variants, adding some new ones, scrapping some others, rebalancing them so that it is also fun to play in vDoom, etc etc. No clue on any release date, as I am slowly learning Doom modding while doing this.

I am not sure if it is wise to continue my progress in this thread, or it is better to just start a new thread. Any advice would be helpful :)


I'd say new thread would be needed, since this project originally meant to be GC addon. Not sure if the dude changed his mind in the mid process of it, though.
User avatar
MaxRideWizardLord
 
Joined: 26 Jan 2016

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby Dutchygamer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:56 am

Decided to finally make that thread, to post what I have so far. Check it out here.
Dutchygamer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2017

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby baddude1337 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Many thanks for the fan patch DutchyGamer, IMO this monster pack is absolutely essential to use alongside Guncaster! Finally got round to playing the latest Guncaster and it's a blast!
baddude1337
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2015

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby Delinquent » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:33 pm

The patch doesn't work with Guncaster 3.2. I'm loading it in the proper order, but I keep getting a critical error. "Script error, "DKMR Guncaster Latch(v4).pk3:decorate/bloodfiend.txt" line 367: State WeakCorpseblastProjectile.2 links to a state with incompatible restrictions"
Good news is, it seems to work fine without the patch.
Delinquent
 
Joined: 18 Feb 2019
Github ID: Jaron

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby baddude1337 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Delinquent wrote:The patch doesn't work with Guncaster 3.2. I'm loading it in the proper order, but I keep getting a critical error. "Script error, "DKMR Guncaster Latch(v4).pk3:decorate/bloodfiend.txt" line 367: State WeakCorpseblastProjectile.2 links to a state with incompatible restrictions"
Good news is, it seems to work fine without the patch.


Are you using the unofficial patch from a few pages back? I use this mod as my main enemy replacer alongside that patch absolutely fine. Only issue I've noticed is the custom enemies don't have blood pools,which is obviously very minor:

Dutchygamer wrote:Decided to fix the issues mentioned for the v4a version. Get the v4b compatibility patch here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9wtm8yce2 ... 9.zip/file

The changes from v4a:
  • updated new Boss monsters to drop a Loot box on death. In return, they drop one item less then before (mostly the stuff that now comes in said Loot box, else a Stratocaster drop). In case of the Tiberium Cyberdemon, you can get up to two Loot boxes; one for the first death, one for the second death (when it spawns the second phase).
  • added missing weapon sounds for Cauterizer Zombie / Cybruiser Cauterizer fire
A known issue with this version is that the Infernal Spider boss seems to drop 2 Loot boxes; I haven't been able to figure out why. Something with how the death of the spider seems to work. See it as an extra for finally killing this annoying boss, and for how rare it is.

I've been testing it with Scythe 2 to see if it works as intended, and decided to record a playthrough of Map28 - Nightmare. By pure luck I encountered a Tiberium Cyberdemon, so you can see the double Loot box drop mentioned earlier.



You can use just the base mod alongside the Universal Adapter, but I quite like the unique item drops and and added difficulty to the enemies with the GC patch.
baddude1337
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2015

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby baddude1337 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Now with the Universal Adapter, is there any chance of re-releasing the base mod with some of the Guncaster specific enemy changes? I quite like the lethality of some of the GC specific monsters like the cauteriser zombie as well as item drops (Invisibility from Cheshire, deathknight shield as examples). Loading the patch alongside it tends to have errors with the deaths and drop too many items. Have tried to do it myself but all the coding and the like is simply beyond me.
baddude1337
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2015

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby Dutchygamer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:27 pm

baddude1337 wrote:Now with the Universal Adapter, is there any chance of re-releasing the base mod with some of the Guncaster specific enemy changes? I quite like the lethality of some of the GC specific monsters like the cauteriser zombie as well as item drops (Invisibility from Cheshire, deathknight shield as examples). Loading the patch alongside it tends to have errors with the deaths and drop too many items. Have tried to do it myself but all the coding and the like is simply beyond me.

The mod needs GC stuff for the GC patch specific enemy changes, else things like new attacks or effects will not work (which was why I created the fixed patches to begin with). So making a new base version with just the monsters but without the GC drops is not an option.
What I could do is make a variant of the GC patch that only modifies the enemies that have patch-specific changes (using GC attacks / spells, shield drops, etc), and let the remainder (GC deaths, drops) be handled by the Universal Adapter. I'd need to look into what Universal Adapter fixes, and what needs to be done by myself. Again, this doesn't mean I will do it; it's an option I may consider. I'm currently working on the v5 version of this mod, which for now doesn't include any GC specific stuff. When that gets a release, you could run it with the Universal Adapter to get the same result; only thing that would be missing is monsters using GC weapons / spells.
Dutchygamer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2017

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby toppingtart » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:16 am

hi, I've run into an issue trying to run the unnoficial patch with Guncaster 3.2

I have no textures on any WAD I try to run and it gives me that error message at the top.
toppingtart
 
Joined: 02 Feb 2019

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby Dutchygamer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 pm

What is your load order and GZDoom version? And on what mapset?
Dutchygamer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Carrotear, Yandex [Bot] and 11 guests