[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Postby 4thcharacter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Come to think about it, using the power of ZScript it'll be possible to make it mod aware too. I for one have been thinking about a simple addon to D4D that could allow dumping of almost any monster into it such as, for example, any realm667 monsters.

Dude, this is something up my alley. Remember my most recent post in the Project Ideas thread? I had a dillemma involving thinking about the compatibility w/ Realm 667's monsters. Something like this could be really useful. Give me some pointers if this happens, you two!
4thcharacter
"I have returned."

Postby DoomKrakken » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:06 am

Doomenator wrote:Well, if you know, so it's some form of masochism, I suppose, or what? Tried to fix it or that shit likes everyone? :o

To be honest, I never considered it to be a bug. I just knew that was a thing that always happened in the Doom Engine. If you want it fixed, I don't see how I can fix it, as those explosion trails all spawn the same actor.

I suppose if it really bothers people, I could turn down the volume on the explosion sounds... that'd probably ruin the immersion, though.
DoomKrakken
Avidly Anonymous Suggester. Hardcore Catholic Gamer. Problem? PM me.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby Brohnesorge » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:21 am

You know, $limit in SNDINFO is a thing. That would fix the issue super easily.
Brohnesorge
Omae wa mou nidoru

Discord: #7624
Twitch ID: brohnesorge1
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit

Postby Spaceman333 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:36 am

Brohnesorge wrote:You know, $limit in SNDINFO is a thing. That would fix the issue super easily.

$limit soundname <amount> [limitdistance]

Specifies that at most <amount> instances can be played at once. A value of 0 means no limit at all. Defaults to 2.
limitdistance specifies how far the limit takes effect. It defaults to 256, as in, two sounds further than 256 units apart can be played even if $limit would cause them to be evicted otherwise.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO

Handy.
Spaceman333

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:00 am

4thcharacter wrote:Dude, this is something up my alley. Remember my most recent post in the Project Ideas thread? I had a dillemma involving thinking about the compatibility w/ Realm 667's monsters. Something like this could be really useful. Give me some pointers if this happens, you two!

Oh don't worry. I'm going to make an example out of Colorful Hell for D4D to show you an idea. ;)
Major Cooke
The road to Hell is paved in the carrion she leaves behind.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Postby 4thcharacter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 am

Major Cooke wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:Dude, this is something up my alley. Remember my most recent post in the Project Ideas thread? I had a dillemma involving thinking about the compatibility w/ Realm 667's monsters. Something like this could be really useful. Give me some pointers if this happens, you two!

Oh don't worry. I'm going to make an example out of Colorful Hell for D4D to show you an idea. ;)

Oh, yes, please!
4thcharacter
"I have returned."

Postby DoomKrakken » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:29 am

Spaceman333 wrote:
Brohnesorge wrote:You know, $limit in SNDINFO is a thing. That would fix the issue super easily.

$limit soundname <amount> [limitdistance]

Specifies that at most <amount> instances can be played at once. A value of 0 means no limit at all. Defaults to 2.
limitdistance specifies how far the limit takes effect. It defaults to 256, as in, two sounds further than 256 units apart can be played even if $limit would cause them to be evicted otherwise.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO

Handy.

Never saw that before... thanks! :D

4thcharacter wrote:
Major Cooke wrote:

Oh, yes, please!

Seconded.
DoomKrakken

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Relevant.

It should mostly work. You can try it with your randomizer but know this, the only thing I can balance around right now is monster health.

I intend to resolve this by next installing a check for how much D4DCash the actor has. I'll get that set up for you here soon so you can get that established on your monsters. It'll cover crates and credits along with blacklisting entities that shouldn't have anything D4D-related dropping from them.
Major Cooke

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:03 pm

OHOHOHOHOOOO... HELLS YEAH. :D

Do I need to use the latest alpha/GZDoom to use this? I'm still using GZDoom 2.4 because of issues with sound lag.
DoomKrakken

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:32 pm

You'll know when you try it. Aka idk. :P

When was the last time you tried D4D?
Major Cooke

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Too long. Haven't really kept up with updates. Remember when I was talking to you about the D4D Upgrade Menu over on Discord? The latest version I had was a stable version released some time in November of last year... and at the moment, it still is. XD
DoomKrakken

Postby 4thcharacter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Relevant.

It should mostly work. You can try it with your randomizer but know this, the only thing I can balance around right now is monster health.

I intend to resolve this by next installing a check for how much D4DCash the actor has. I'll get that set up for you here soon so you can get that established on your monsters. It'll cover crates and credits along with blacklisting entities that shouldn't have anything D4D-related dropping from them.

Oh, yes. Something like this would be also definitely helpful for some other mods.
4thcharacter
"I have returned."

Postby Gideon020 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:38 am

I forgot if this was asked before, but is this mod compatible with Heretic/Hexen?
Gideon020
Fanboy

Postby DoomKrakken » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:37 pm

It is not. It did at one point in time have monsters ported straight from Heretic/Hexen, but those are "commented out" of the RandomSpawners, mainly because many of them just didn't fit in the spaces where the monsters that they replaced were located.
DoomKrakken

Postby Dutchygamer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:38 am

Will the compatibility patch for Guncaster be updated for the new GC release? Currently it crashes if run with GC, failing on the bloodfiend's WeakCorpseblastProjectile. These are the messages I get when trying to run with GZDoom 3.4.1:
Spoiler:
Dutchygamer

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods