[Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
barosans

Re: [Add-On] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (V4) FINALLY.

Post by barosans »

me too have this bug with the GZDoom 3.4.1 !
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Consider this mod to be scrapped... for now.

I'm working on a very different mod right now, and after I release its alpha, I'm thinking I'll get back into Guncaster modding. But first, I gotta take apart this new version of Guncaster, since so much has changed since the last version...
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

DoomKrakken wrote:Consider this mod to be scrapped... for now.

I'm working on a very different mod right now, and after I release its alpha, I'm thinking I'll get back into Guncaster modding. But first, I gotta take apart this new version of Guncaster, since so much has changed since the last version...
Eh, shame. Ah well, good luck with your other mod :)
theviolator

Post by theviolator »

Just adding my name to the list of those anticipating an eventual update of this mod to support Guncaster 3.0. Until that happens, I will be missing the icing on my Guncaster cake. Good luck with your current project in the meantime, and thanks!
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

As a temporarily fix until DoomKrakken will resume with this mod, I have modified the Guncaster compatibility patch so it can be run with GC 3.0 without throwing (critical) errors. DoomKrakken has given me permission to upload it here.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jd401gl49 ... 9.zip/file
This GC compatibility patch (4.0a) is meant as a replacement for the 4.0 compatibility patch that DoomKrakken himself has created. You must still combine it with the base mod from the first page for the monsters themselves. It has been tested / verified in GZDoom 3.4.1 together with Guncaster 3.0. I have not tested it with GC 3.1, but it should work (annoy me if this isn't the case).

It is basically the 4.0 GC compatibility patch, with the following changes:
  • re-added Thunderbolt (Causterizer projectile) code for Cautherizer Zombie and Cybruiser
  • modified Vulgar's WeakGumpopProjectile to use GumpopDamageBonus (instead of GumpopItem, which spawned GumpopDamageBonus in GC 2.8)
  • fixed Bloodfiend's WeakCorpseblastProjectile so the Goto points towards Death+1 (instead of Death+4)
There are still more minor issues (new boss monsters not dropping loot boxes, enemy Cauterizer projectile missing fire / impact sounds, prolly more), but with this it can run at least. I may look into fixing these issues at a later time.
theviolator

Post by theviolator »

Much appreciated!
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Wow, thank you Dutchygamer! Guncaster is one of those gameplay mods that really needs something like this to balance out the power fantasy a bit lol. Its awesome that you got it working with the new version as well. I tested it on 3.1 and things seemed to work just fine.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

Decided to fix the issues mentioned for the v4a version. Get the v4b compatibility patch here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9wtm8yce2 ... 9.zip/file

The changes from v4a:
  • updated new Boss monsters to drop a Loot box on death. In return, they drop one item less then before (mostly the stuff that now comes in said Loot box, else a Stratocaster drop). In case of the Tiberium Cyberdemon, you can get up to two Loot boxes; one for the first death, one for the second death (when it spawns the second phase).
  • added missing weapon sounds for Cauterizer Zombie / Cybruiser Cauterizer fire
A known issue with this version is that the Infernal Spider boss seems to drop 2 Loot boxes; I haven't been able to figure out why. Something with how the death of the spider seems to work. See it as an extra for finally killing this annoying boss, and for how rare it is.

I've been testing it with Scythe 2 to see if it works as intended, and decided to record a playthrough of Map28 - Nightmare. By pure luck I encountered a Tiberium Cyberdemon, so you can see the double Loot box drop mentioned earlier.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Awesome work! Thanks for the update Dutchygamer. Gonna try it shortly.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Wow, man! Really solid job, there!

I had forgotten how much fun I had making this compatibility patch for Guncaster, in making each monster. And I had forgotten how fun it was to fight them all. :D

I think I should work on my Guncaster ideas next... watching that video put me back in the mood... especially since I've just released my other mod for closed testing. I could probably get back into this, now!

But right now's the hard part... I've gotta study the new stuff.

Fortunately, I'd only need to see what's happened to the monsters themselves in Guncaster. That's the important part... the affliction system. If I can make loot drops and afflictions generic, then the compatibility patch won't even be necessary anymore (save for the combat behaviors that are present here that rely on Guncaster to work)!
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

Best of luck with that DoomKrakken. From what I've been able to decipher, it seems GC modifies / replaces the monsters for several things:
-damage modifiers against certain weapons (as GC introduces some new damage types)
-loot drop (dosh, loot boxes and related)
-modifying the existing deaths and adding a whole bunch more for all the new weapons (gore for exploded death, expanding for Gumpop, spawning vicious souls for Corpseblasted enemies, etc)

You are prolly already aware, but LegenDoomLite seems to do something that works for all monsters without having to modify each individual monster. I haven't looked into how that works, but maybe that can provide some clues (unless you were already that far).
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I got all of that, though.

For my thing, loot will likely be allocated based on the health of the monster. Stuff such as homing Corpseblast projectiles from Corpseblasted enemies will depend either on health or the monster's mass (or maybe some correlation between the two).

The trickiest one I'm gonna deal with is the Gumpop death sequence. Not entirely sure how to handle that generically...

No need to add gore to this system. It's just to make the affliction work. I suppose I can probably work on that bit anyway, as well...
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Glad to see this add-on still getting some love! To me Guncaster just isn't the same without it (alongside the unofficial now that's what I call MIDI music pack).

Great to finally play 3.0 with the monsters and tank my framerate with the old dreadful!
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Say, would it be possible to remix DKMR v4b into a PURELY cybernetic monster pack? = ) If so, what would I need to remove, in order to only have our cybernetic friends show up?

EDIT:

I can tell that YES, it is indeed possible! It also appears to be fairly straightforward, the deleting-process. Only thing that might be tricky is adding the other cyber-monsters not included, that's available on realm667. Hmm... stay tuned for my first mod of a mod! = )
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

IT'S FINALLY DONE!!

Well... a working prototype with most enemies having a few random cyber replacements which seems mostly stable, is done. SO! I myself tested it out with Lithium 1.5.3 and Diabolus Ex - so that could be a good start for those whom are interested in checking it out. = )

Let me know what you think guys, and if there are any strange bugs, or clean-up of the code which I need to do! (oh there definitively is... definitively.)

DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer - Cyber Remix v1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/totcy8ijw6kgc ... 1.pk3?dl=0

Return to “Gameplay Mods”